Discussion Chinese anime taking over Japanese anime

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Silv0

Silv0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well chinese manhua and webnovels don't have a lot of variety... It's less than japanese since making manhua and webnovels aren't super popular like it is in Japan. In addition the china government limits puts a lot of restrictions on what can and cannot be publicized. So probably not.

2. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the Eng. dub version of "Astra", our lead guy is voiced by Josh Grelle (gree-lee). He is typecast in a lot of harem anime, including several titles that are are light novel-based!

Wujigege, kenar and Ai chan like this.
  3. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In japan you may depict skeletons. In china you may not. Hence why wow forsaken are frankenstein rather than undead.

4. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unchecked capitalism does the same and worse. The point here is: Unchecked. There is little unckecked capitalism on the planet. Also, China is more capitalist than communist in many regards, else its economy would still be in the gutter. A score system is as capitalistic as it gets.
    Actually... China takes the bad things of communism, throws in unhinged capitalism, and creates a pretty nasty soup out of it.

The expression isn't even the issue. And most LN adaptions suck anyway. The chinese source material is completely lacking. Lets start by nuking half the base since its cultivation. And that is something i consider sucky by default. Even slightly less garbage ones like throne of primordial blood waltzes in several traps which REALLY hurt the quality. And ofc the bottom fodder like ATG, MGA and AST is not even debateable.

Sabruness and Ai chan like this.
  5. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Koreans have a better chance in my opinion.....

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont think chinese anime (by which i mean completely chinese) will ever be able to surpass japanese anime, flawed as it is. the relatively few chinese anime i've watched just werent worth it.
    JP anime has some horrible adaptations but they're functionally better, generally, than most if not all CN anime adaptations.

7. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be very difficult for the Chinese anime/animation market in Japan to surpass Japanese animation in Japan. Sure, you might occasionally get that surprise Chinese animation hit that generates more merchandise and disc sales than some Japanese animations. Also, the anti-Chinese sentiments in Japan and vice versa could be partial factors. Now, in terms of Chinese animation having a stronger market in China than Japanese animation has in China, that is a valid question. Going with that angle, I think since China has a lot bigger of a population (over 1.25 billion more) and because the Chinese yuan is more valuable than the Japanese yen, I would say Japanese anime has or could have some strong competition in China!

Wujigege likes this.
  8. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    someone tried to analyze it, you can click it here

9. Albacar

Albacar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my mind chinese animes are very bad, and the episodes only go for like 5 minutes thats pretty annoying.

10. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The way I see it, it's all depend on the story & TBH I still can't stand to this day the "arrogant young master" syndrome which are quite famously depicted on most CHN story, be it the MC or other characters (which also severely limited my choice on CHN novels)
    Other than that, maybe it's a little biased, but the last, Dong Hua you've said, I've watched are King's Avatar & Versatile Mage.
    TBH & IMHO, King's story is good on the novel but transferred to the anime it's somehow feels lacking something...also, the fighting scene although great somehow feels "unnatural", maybe? Can't put it in the right word
    And while Versatile got better graphic, I still can't shake the "arrogant young master" feeling from it
    Anyway, looking forward for a better progress from them. Maybe in near future there would be one that be a favorite

11. carloepure

carloepure New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not gonna happen, also no reason to.

12. Oblivion

Oblivion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A way to break the stalemate is for the Chinese companies to offer high salaries for talented Japanese animators. There aren't many new animators in Japan and that's partially due to the common 80+ hours of intense hard work and the lack of good pay. Japanese animators are some of the MOST UNDERPAID workers in Japan as a whole. What they're doing to amazing and the talent they possess should be praised and in-turn, given a higher salary. But that isn't the case because its been made apparent to the majority of prospecting artists that to make a decent salary as an artist or animator, you have to be part of the TOP brass, and that takes decades of hard work. In the time of climbing the ranks, which are almost zero to begin with bc the old generation is trying to cling to their job/rank compounded with that finding work outside of animation is REALLY HARD!!, you are quite literally drowned in debt. No one wants to work 80+ hours if the pay is shit, you're drowning in debt, have a poor work environment, shitty benefits, and still be happy. The average salary man/office worker makes MORE THAN DOUBLE!!!! WITH BENEFITS!! If the Chinese animation companies went headhunting while offering good benefits, good pay, and more flexible hours, then I don't see why Japanese animators won't jump ship. Animators in the US & Canada make, as entry level, from mid 30K - high 40K!! That's LEAGUES ahead!! Also, the average full time convenience store worker makes more than the average animator, that's fucked up!! Read more about their shitty situation in the articles below.
    https://kotaku.com/make-anime-in-japan-get-a-shitty-salary-1820035912
    https://80.lv/articles/how-much-do-japanese-animators-make/

S4TY4 and Wujigege like this.
  13. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The Canipa Effect did a recent video on a similar topic

14. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i doubt it about chinese anime will take over jap ones, but i think that drama and live action like genre will be taken over by chinese soon.
    since my friend who's a hardcore fan of drama start to move from jp to korean and chinese since last year, and she loves watching those movie enough that i can make her as rough standard of how good/bad a movie is based on her review.
    *most of my watched drama series come from her recommendation