Request Approved Better Navigation

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Daily, Mar 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno if this has been brought up before, but I really want a better navigation through out the site.
    (cbb to skim thru 17 pages of this forum :p)

For the "Novels Listing" page, there should be an alphabetical navigation system, along with a numeric system, so it's much easier to look for stuff you're looking for. For example, I'm looking for this novel that starts with the letter N, but the Search Function doesn't work like that, so I'd have to make an educated guess to which page number Letter N is in.

Same with the "Groups" page while we're at it, so it's easier to locate groups, even though there's not much groups to warrant it yet, just to have it there would be cool...

For the series pages, I wish there was a better way to navigate through releases, especially when the certain novel has 500 chapters and up, and you're looking for like chapter 234. Yeah you can make an educated guess (like it should be something in the middle, page 5 of 10) but would've been better to have a better way to navigate, like a search function or maybe a different navigation for it, maybe in increments of 10? like instead of page 1,2,3... 10, do chapter 1, 10, 20. or maybe increments of 20, up to you to decide depending on which works best.

2. Ultrabenosaurus

Ultrabenosaurus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but as a stop-gap measure for your last point here's a bookmarklet I made:
    Code:
    javascript:(function(){if(document.querySelectorAll('h4.seriesother').length>0&&window.location.hostname=="www.novelupdates.com"){if(document.querySelectorAll('div.digg_pagination>a').length>0){var c=window.prompt("Enter a chapter number:");if(c==null||c==""||isNaN(c)){window.alert("No number entered or number not valid!");}else{var d=document.querySelectorAll('div.digg_pagination>a');var n=d[d.length-2].href.split("pg=")[1];p=n-Math.floor(Math.abs(c)/15);p=p<1?1:p;p=p>n?n:p;window.location.href="./?pg="+p+"#myTable";}}else{window.alert("No%20pagination!");}}else{window.alert("Not%20a%20Novel%20Updates%20series%20page!");}})();
    To use it you need to bookmark a page (literally any page on the web) then edit your new bookmark and paste that block of code into the URL / Page / Location field. If you have your browser's bookmarks bar visible you can put it there for easy clicking. Alternatively some browsers let you set a keyword for a bookmark which you can type into the address bar - I use "nuc" for this as I don't have the bookmarks bar visible.

I won't lie, it's far from ideal, but it normally puts me within a page or two of the chapter I'm looking for. Things that break it are re-releases (e.g. when a new group takes over and retranslates previous chapters) or if the group does a lot of batch release (even just 2 chapters per release on occasion). But it's better than pure guesswork and quicker than doing maths in your head every time.

It also adds "#myTable" to the end of the URL so your browser will jump to the chapter list for you and you don't have to scroll :)