[Poll] How much would you pay for a personal android assistant?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Sep 22, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much would you pay for a personal android assistant?

1. Over 80x your annual income

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. 40x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 20x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 10x your annual income

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. 5x your annual income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 2x your annual income

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. 1x your annual income

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  8. 9x your monthly income

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. 6x your monthly income

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. 3x your monthly income

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  11. 2x your monthly income

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  12. 1x your monthly income

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  13. Less than your monthly income

13 vote(s)
    21.7%
  14. I would never buy a personal android - Because unethical

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  15. I would never buy a personal android - Because not useful

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  16. I would never buy a personal android - Because distrust

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  17. I would never buy a personal android - Other reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. I'm unsure

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  19. I do not wish to answer

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    so.... chobits

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Is he called Ninefaps because he can only fap nine times in his life? :blobpeek:

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It is said that it is per hour :cautious:, that daoist is still searching for the means to make breakthrough :blobfearful:
    :blobrofl:

AMissingLinguist and ongoingwhy like this.
  4. LK

LK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No income so 80x annual income is still 0

5. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Not gonna even pay 1 cent for it.

6. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So useless. Dammit sci fi, just give us a perfect all purpose labor tool. This is a severe overestimation of how far humans would go to have not-people doing everyday things for them.

I would sooner make AI for a forklift and other crap that already exists and merely lacks terrain freedom and versatility than pour countless resources into developong droids physically inferior to a human that would spark a new political shitstorm.

The damn microwawe going all Transformers would be preferred. It can move, makes me meals and has weapons to defend me. Check, check and check.

For anyone who wants a glorified flesh hole, perverted shut in rich people are sure to find an answer catering to the wealthy that will trickle down in time.

lychee and iampsyx like this.
  7. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Being called androids and having synthetic bodies won't stop people from sympathizing with them, right? At least it won't for me.

I mean, if it's basically indistinguishable from a human at first glance — oh boy, human traffickers will have a field day. :sweating_profusely: By having no "human rights", does that mean the owners can do whatever they want with them, even if not for their "intended use"? What if someone buys an android with a child's appearance and does those R18 stuff? :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: How do you prevent someone from using your appearance on their androids? :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: What if people start using androids in creative ways for crime (like to tricks cctvs, witnesses, etc)? What if people just start going wild with all the "fun" stuff they can do with their humanoid toys? :notlikeblob::notlikeblob::notlikeblob: Will people have to start dealing with 'Are You Human' tests in the real world?

TL;DR Humanoid androids/robots/what-have-you is A REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, because...what would I use it for? As a body double or something? Labor resource? I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of "owning" something that looks like another person because that kind of "power"/mentality can mess with my head and turn me into someone twisted.

Questions:
    • Do the androids have sensations? (Do they "feel" pain, cold temperatures, etc?)
    • If yes to above, would they react like a human would?
    • What does "However, its "cells" are decidedly not human and fully synthetic." mean, exactly? Like, they're created from synthetic means and not born biologically? Can they get sick and/or infect others?
    Yes, but not so much for the androids' sake as for the humans'.

Yup, I'll join.

8. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :bloblove::bloblove::bloblove: Yay! I'm not alone in the rebellion anymore! (at least with regard to this particular response)

TBH this poll is kind of a roundabout way of asking about slavery -- except in a more sci-fi setting than classical.

In 2017, humans created the first synthetic biological organism completely from scratch. I mean, it was only a yeast, but it's still synthetic. It's kind of like if you could script DNA like a computer program and then turn it into an organism.

As for what I meant in the poll -- the android's cells don't have 46 chromosomes and their genes are very different from human genes. But they still have genes and other cellular machinery that is important for life.

AMissingLinguist and iampsyx like this.
  9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Mmmmmmmmmmmm, my first thought was against it, but... Honestly, I can see the use of having one. Like... Someone to take care of household chores essentially.
    I mean, that's a very very common profession where I live (and it earns close to minimum wage), so having an android doing it would be better since it would be a lot cheaper than paying someone to do so.
    So I think I might be willing to pay for it. Though I'd probably just ask the android to do the chores and let it do whatever they want afterwards... They wouldn't have money I guess, but they'd still be able to do whatever they wanted that didn't cost anything. And there are plenty of things out there if you bother with searching... I'd also have nothing against the android working and buying stuff for themselves if they wanted, and wouldn't mind buying some stuff or another for it I suppose.
    This thing is kinda irky in the moral side of things, but... Dunno, I'd be fine with it as long as I treated my own robot properly I believe.

2) About 3x my Monthly income. More than that would be hard to save up, I'd rather just do my chores myself instead.

3) Any that is good at chores and that has somewhat similar morals to me I guess? Wouldn't really need much more.

4) Sure, I mean, they're basically humans at that point.

5) No, because I don't participate in social movements no matter what the cause. It's just not the kind of thing I want to get involved with.

lychee likes this.
  10. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    If I did have a personal android(aka a house slave), then it would probably be 2x annual income. 5% maintenance of annual income every 3 months would equate to around 37 days of work. I guess I would use the personal android as a friend or as family. I don't think I have the commitment to marry and have a family yet, but a friendly android would do to abate my loner tendencies. :blobpopcorn::cookie:

Anyways, I would decline a personal android because I want my alone time as well. Yeah, I'm contradicting myself, but I want both a friend and alone time! :blobtriumph:

AliceShiki and lychee like this.
  11. disagreeable

disagreeable Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only way you can afford an android assitant that is >= to your annual income is through a loan. Depending on the abilities of that android I would pay for it. I could pimp it out to people who are interested but cant afford it. If its smarts I would use it as slave labor for maintaining my business or something.

12. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a personal androud with loner tendencies too or a ninja android then

lychee and AMissingLinguist like this.
  13. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Too much work programming the android. I would rather just get a real friend if I'm going to dedicate the same amount of effort to get the settings just right for my personal android.

lychee likes this.
  14. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I can relate to this more than you might imagine! :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

I like my alone time!

I'm not sure if I understand this? There are a bunch of things that are worth more than someone's annual income that people buy without a loan. Some people have a lot more in savings than other people.

Also there are various methods to pay in installments (or mortgages) that are common strategies to pay something that someone doesn't have the immediate cash for -- such as a car or house.

AMissingLinguist and AliceShiki like this.
  15. disagreeable

disagreeable Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Touche

That is still a loan

16. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have to get my Samsung updated to the latest Android model or buy the latest first.

17. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Personal android with sentience.... :hmm:

[​IMG]

18. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you purchase a Personal Android? Why or why not?
    -If it was a real situation and, if others were buying them left and right and, if I could afford... I suspect I would go along with them lemmings and buy one too... But, thinking from my current point of view/mindset... If they really were cheap enough that I could afford, I strongly suspect, there is something seriously wrong with them...

2. How much would you be willing to pay for a Personal Android?
    -Can't say...

3. What kind of android (personality/skills/appearance) would you look for?
    -Cute ridiculously human robot maid, of course...

4. Do you believe the androids described in this scenario should have human rights?
    -If their intelligence is at a human level or above and if there is a valid reason to believe they are conscious... then yes...

-If the consciousness criteria is met, but the intelligence is not... then, they should be given same kind of rights as any other animal of equivalent intelligence...

-If the intelligence criteria is met, but the consciousness is not... then they should have the same rights as all the other tools... i.e. none.

5. Would you campaign, rebel, or join a political movement to fight for android human rights?
    -If it was in my best interest to do so...

AMissingLinguist likes this.