Discussion Second lead syndrome

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Lovina, Sep 26, 2019.

?

Have you ever had second lead syndrome ?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    86.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever had second lead syndrome ? If yes in what novel (or drama, manga ect ) and for who ? Personally my first second lead syndrome was with vampire knight then with k drama and with novel like the dreamer in the spring boudoir .

2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    All the time.

Lovina likes this.
  3. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    What does that mean?

Haiku575 likes this.
  4. Karumin

Karumin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you like the second lead better.

Lovina and Matteus like this.
  5. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    In media for women there is often the “male lead,” the guy who is obviously going to end up with the main character. But often stories will have a “second male lead,” like the childhood friend, for example, who may or may not be a contender for the main character’s affections. “Second male lead syndrome” is where the second male lead is or seems infinitely superior to the male lead, and you curse the main character for choosing the wrong guy.

6. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's happened rarely because I hate getting on sinking ships but first time I was really aware of it was this drama called She Was Pretty. Shin Hyuk was the better guy :blobtired:

doroppu and Kansuou like this.
  7. doroppu

doroppu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only time this happened to me was while reading Hirunaka no Ryuusei,
    and that is literally the only story, that I know, where the MC ends up with the 2nd male lead.
    Guess I haven't really suffered with the syndrome then...

Lovina likes this.
  8. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    There are more female mc cultivation novels that's actually about cultivation than there are decent male leads in all female mc novels.

9. MsKumiko

MsKumiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, the second lead is better in most cases. Most FL or ML are annoying jerks who you'd unfortunately be stuck with until you learn better. I like it most when the MC chooses the SL.

Fuyuneko and Lovina like this.
  10. Ahodesuga

Ahodesuga °˖✧Aho desu ga, Nani ka?✧˖° 《Liking Fiend》

Reading List:
    Link
    In every fucking book, drama, movie I have seen or read in my life.

Sheri_Yui_Chan and Lovina like this.
  11. tranquilmelodies

tranquilmelodies Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not that I recall. I usually try to avoid the shipping component all together.

Also:

1. I wouldn't go into a novel called When Harry Met Sally and expect that Harry doesn't end up with Sally (I've never watched the movie!). Obviously, there can be exceptions, but I find it a bit humorous that people go into a story named after the two main leads and then get upset that second lead loses.
    2. I also have a tendency of just assuming that the two lead characters are lead characters for a reason. So the story is going to be about them and, in most cases, ending with them together. The exception being when the story involves an actual love triangle (as opposed to tossing one in for drama), and I usually avoid those.
    3. Everyone is wrong, and second lead is the worst anyways. If he wasn't worst then he wouldn't be second. :whistle:

12. sookja

sookja Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My second lead syndrome was from a kdrama called School 2015, that drama still hurts my heart lolll

Sheri_Yui_Chan and Lovina like this.
  13. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I watched this drama as well yes i understand the second lead was very likeable and i loved him more than the male lead.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Sheri_Yui_Chan likes this.
  14. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the Summer 2008 original anime Xam'd: Lost Memories, the second lead girl was Haru whereas Nakiami was the lead girl. I liked Haru with our lead guy, Akiyuki, and it was her that ended up with him!

Here is a notable series with multiple leads or mains: Fairy Tail has Lucy as the lead female and overall lead character. The second lead and lead guy is Natsu. Second main girl is Erza. I think Happy is the second main guy and Gray is the 3rd main guy! Now if you count human-looking characters, then Gray is the second main guy! Of course, I ship NaLu!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  15. caffeinefocus

caffeinefocus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It happened a lot to me that I've gotten really used to it and I just comfort myself with the thought that second lead, whether male or female, was meant to be with me. LOL. I remember liking all the other girls for Tomoya (MC) but not the one he ended up with. Most recent one is with the Abandoned Empress. I got so bothered with who MC ended up with according to the spoilers, not only because I liked the other guy (green-haired) better, but because ML was just too shitty of a character to even be considered for the ML's position. I stopped reading after that spoiler, obviously. Aaaahhh, i get annoyed just thinking about it.

Sheri_Yui_Chan likes this.
  16. 7174PK

7174PK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To all those having second lead syndrome, I'll recommend you a gem that will satisfy you to your bones. Ever heard of the novel 'Pick the Second Male Lead'? This is truly a masterpiece. Those who read will regret wanting for more and those who won't will regret never being blessed by such a piece of art.
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/134662933-pick-the-second-male-lead

Sheri_Yui_Chan, Neneee and Lovina like this.
  17. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    It has a possessive tag... don’t tell me that the secondary lead acts like the yandere instead of the ML...? (╯﹏╰)

18. 7174PK

7174PK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there is many arcs so different portrayal of the second ML but each one of them is extremely likeable. I've read a few arcs at least 70 times, solely because of the second ML.

Sheri_Yui_Chan and Anra7777 like this.
  19. Neneee

Neneee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One which still makes me go crazy was Boys over Flowers, because I reread that manga too many times when I was staying at my grandma's house during summer holidays. That manga was literally the only series which my aunt had left there..... And the drama only made it go worse since I really like Kim Hyun Joong :blob_teary:

20. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to, with the old Meteor Garden. However, it's impossible to have a 2nd male syndrome with Dylan Wang as the lead.

Fuyuneko likes this.