[Poll] How much could I pay you to work at a yaoi/yuri cafe?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Sep 26, 2019.

Tags:
?

How much would Fujo-san need to pay you for you to consider the position?

1. I'm male - 100x hourly minimum wage or more

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. I'm male - 10x hourly minimum wage

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. I'm male - 5x hourly minimum wage

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. I'm male - 3x hourly minimum wage

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. I'm male - 2x hourly minimum wage

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. I'm male - 1.5x hourly minimum wage

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. I'm male - 1.2x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I'm male - 1.1x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I'm male - 1.0x hourly minimum wage

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. I'm male - 0.9x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I'm male - 0.8x hourly minimum wage

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  12. I'm male - 0.7x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. I'm male - 0.5x hourly minimum wage or less

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  14. I'm male - I would reject Fujo-san's offer

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  15. I'm female - 100x hourly minimum wage or more

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  16. I'm female - 10x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I'm female - 5x hourly minimum wage

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  18. I'm female - 3x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I'm female - 2x hourly minimum wage

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  20. I'm female - 1.5x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. I'm female - 1.2x hourly minimum wage

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  22. I'm female - 1.1x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. I'm female - 1.0x hourly minimum wage

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  24. I'm female - 0.9x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. I'm female - 0.8x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. I'm female - 0.7x hourly minimum wage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. I'm female - 0.5x hourly minimum wage or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. I'm female - I would reject Fujo-san's offer

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  29. I am unsure

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  30. I do not wish to respond

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Originally I was thinking that I definitely wouldn't make a poll today, but I was browsing youtube and ended up getting glued to videos of yaoi cafes in Japan. :blobjoy::blobjoy::blobjoy: You can search for videos yourself, but basically just like there are maid cafes or butler cafes, there are yaoi cafes where they employ guys to act out BL skits (including kissing) with each other for the sake of a very pure pure audience. :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl: Anyhow, here's the poll:

For some reason or another, earlier this week you walked over a manhole on the street and it fell through (probably the fault of some silly magical girl), and consequently you transmigrated to another isekai universe.

However, the isekai universe you ended up in was very modern Japan-like. There's no magic or sci-fi or cheats or really anything that special. Rather, the world is rather cruel and you are essentially the equivalent of the homeless person and non-citizen illegal immigrant. It is impossible to get an upstanding job of any kind, you are not eligible for government handouts, and you have absolutely no family or connections in this world. Basically, you were dumped in the middle of the equivalent of Tokyo or New York City in the modern day with absolutely no money or resources.

The first few days, you slept on the bench in a public park (but got chased away by the police) and you dug through the trash near the subway for a half-eaten sandwich someone just tossed in because you haven't eaten any food in two days.

However, while sitting outside on the streets panhandling for spare change, a suspicious glasses-wearing woman who looks like a NEET walks up to you. She introduces herself as Fujo-san.

She tells you that she's seen you around here for the past two days, and she won't inquire about your personal circumstances. However, she has a deal that she believes will be favorable to you. In particular, she is the proprietor for a yaoi/yuri cafe in the Red Light District, and she's trying to hire employees to fill vacancies in her staff. Additionally, she thinks you look relatively well-kept and are fairly attractive, so she does not believe you are an ordinary homeless person. However, she really needs to get her business running, and she is desperate to hire new staff even if it's "off the record". If you are interested, she is willing to offer you an informal interview.

The details of the job are as follows:

1. You will work as a waiter/waitress in a yaoi/yuri cafe.
    2. You will be expected to put on quasi-suggestive on-demand skits with other staff members of your same gender, and can range from:
      1. Flirting and talking
      2. Playing the pocky game, feeding each other food
      3. Kissing, hugging, and casual touching (no overt sexual touching)
    3. You are not expected to do anything suggestive with customers. It's purely acting with the co-workers who you already know
    4. You are expected to work seven shifts a week. Potential shifts could be 4:00 PM to midnight (weekdays), and 10:00 AM to 2:00 AM (weekends - two shifts)
    5. You'll get a monthly bonus if you're the most frequently requested staff member to appear in skits
    6. Your regular duties include the typical work in a cafe (e.g. waiter/waitress)
    7. You will have a uniform that matches the monthly theme of the cafe (e.g. school themed)

Fujo-san is alright with you sleeping in the broom closet in the back room if you need a place to stay. There is a bathroom and locker room at the workplace but no shower. The chef does not want you using the kitchen, so don't count on having a refridgerator/microwave/etc. There is free guest WiFi, but there is no computer and Fujo-san is not providing you with any mobile device.

If you want anything more, you'll need to buy it with your own salary.

You can reject Fujo-san's offer for an interview, but you're unsure how easily you will be able to find another job. Keep in mind that you are an illegal undocumented worker. She also reminds you that she's looking to fill the job opening ASAP, so if you delay and respond to her too late, it might already get taken by someone else.

1. Do you accept Fujo-san's offer?

2. What are your concerns? Are there any benefits to the offer?

3. How much would Fujo-san need to pay you for you to consider the position?

4. What would be your future plans in this kind of isekai situation?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Moonpearl, Moy, AliceShiki and 5 others like this.
  2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a female. I'm a fujo. I would like that option

3. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    None. I'd rather pick up trash. At least I could stomach it.

GDLiZy and Femme Fatale like this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan didn't read all that, but there's a yuri cafe? Where does Ai-chan sign?

Jojo775, orematcha, Return and 7 others like this.
  5. Lunaleska

Lunaleska Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, id take the job, as im desperate at that point, and i just need to get off the streets and earn some cash. Also, its only acting, and nothing more ugh intimate.
    But im honestly not sure about working from 10am to 2am two days in a row every week.
    When exactly am i supposed to sleep and eat?!
    (Unless of couse you meant 10am to 2pm, then its cool)

Id also try to use the job to make conections to maybe find a way to make myself legal so i can go about renting my own place and then i can figure out what i want to do with the rest of my life in this strange place.
    Because lets be honest, looks count A LOT in those kinds of jobs, and looks dont last forever.

6. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant that there are two eight-hour shifts on the weekends: something like either 10am-6pm and 6pm-2am

Fujo-san would like you to do seven shifts a week. You can divide this evenly over every day, or you can double up on one of the weekend days to get the other Saturday/Sunday off.

....It's a tough schedule but workforce exploitation of illegal immigrant workers is nothing new.... they're often also underpaid IRL....

7. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing certain....until I see the check:blobneutral:

GDLiZy and AMissingLinguist like this.
  8. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    My main concern would be what kind of customers the cafe has especially if it's in the Red Light District...:hmm::sweating_profusely: Even if it's not expected to "service" customers, what if there's a powerful/filthy rich regular who propositions employees? What if someone finds out my illegal status and blackmails me? :notlikeblob::notlikeblob::notlikeblob:

9. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a male and i would reject the offer immediately.

If i were a girl, hypothetically, i'd take the offer at 2x the hourly minimum wage.

Ai chan likes this.
  10. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    i'll take it. so i can get enough money to make fake id

AliceShiki, lychee and Ai chan like this.
  11. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you'll need to bend over. :blobpeek:

12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    All of you asking for 100X or 10X minimum wage aren't being realistic :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:

This is a cafe, you know? Fujo-san is basically paying you off of customers buying coffees and omurices. I mean, maybe people would buy a $20 omlette but a $100 omlette just isn't going to work! :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Yeah, it's a valid concern.

For me, I would personally want to get off the streets ASAP, and I'd absolutely take the job. I would even take it under minimum wage (although of course I wouldn't say that upfront), and I would be extremely ecstatic if she offered 2x minimum wage.

IMO, having any kind of job is critical for developing interpersonal relations in this kind of setting. People look down immensely on homeless people (almost inhuman), and already I think you'd be extremely lucky if someone approached you for a job in that setting. Consequently, my main objective in this scenario is to build as many relationships (including friends) as possible while making enough money to sustain myself.

Obtaining legal status is critical. If I could marry into it (I think Japan permits that, otherwise their immigration laws are really tight), it would be amazing. Otherwise, I would need a sponsor or at least someone who likes me enough to work with my illegal status.

Staying on the positive side of Fujo-san would also be very high on my priority list.

I'm curious about why there's a difference for you? XD

AliceShiki and iampsyx like this.
  13. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Poll time! Poll time!!!

Yes, can’t survive if I don’t work. It’s not like it’s going to be straight up shady in the first go. I can always try to sneak myself into the kitchen if I’m bad at this acting thing...

Buuuut...if I’m really good at it and then gather a lot of fans like those fancy hostess/hosts wouldn’t Fujo-san give me more privileges??? :aww:

Plus if I’m really, really desperate and in bad shape by the time she met me I would be thrown into having a gratitude debt towards the owner since I wouldn’t know anyone else in that world... It would be hard to leave unless they treated me really, really badly.

14. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I would also feel the gratitude debt.

Depending on the country, it's a pretty big risk to employ an undocumented worker, and often people wouldn't do it unless they have something really in it for them. Usually it's super low wages (or illegal). Or... in psyx's case it can be super bad stuff like a scheme that leads into human trafficking....

But when you're undocumented almost everything is shady and there's risk.

To me, a yuri/yaoi bar is 500% better than working at a strip club or a cabaret bar.

All of this aside, I think working as a live-in-maid is also a path in Non-Western countries (idk if they have those in Japan). However, nobody ever said you couldn't quit from the BL/yuri cafe job if you ended up finding a better one in the future.

AliceShiki, Snowbun and iampsyx like this.
  15. VBS

VBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. I have standards. No amount of money could convince me to give them up. Accepting that job would equate to giving up on myself.

Now to expand on that...

OP, your scenario sucks:
    1. You are essentially trying to make this a loaded question by setting an extreme scenario to coax people to respond a certain way. You're hoping that stacking the deck against people would lead them to give up hope.
    2. You're going too far in assuming how far one would fall into the shitter. People with reasonable motivation and intellect won't sink that low in the first place.
    3. You're assuming I don't have a very particular set of skills that would make it possible to thrive in the underworld.

So, all things considered...
    • I would not end up in that situation in the first place.
    • I would have no trouble finding some other way of taking care of myself.
    • No amount of money could make a shitty job like that more lucrative than what I'd be able to achieve on my own.

16. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    In my defense, it is stacked, but at the same time it's standardized. The standardized aspect is critical (imo) because everyone has different places in their lives and skills, and it would be difficult to assess the poll without standardization.

If the scenario wasn't stacked, I'm like 85% positive everyone would answer "No" and there would be no interpretable data.

Why would people pick yaoi bar over supermarket cashier?

I'm interested in assessing people's willingness to the occupation, and using the underlying assumption that most people are unwilling, I stacked the scenario to see if the circumstances were enough to drive them to willingness. You can conclude from this data that the people who answered yes and more open to the idea of a yaoi cafe than the people who answered no. It's still an informative result this way.

17. Lunaleska

Lunaleska Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    This is my thoughts too.
    Take the job, you are a litteral begger, you cant be choosy right now.
    1 get off the streets
    2 earn some cash (any amount is good, more is best)
    3 network! Make as many human connections as feasibly possible.
    The types of people who might frequent those types of places are also the kind that have insane computer skills. If not, they might know someone who does. Making connections is VITAL.
    4 GET LEGAL.

These are the main priorities i would have, once the 4th and main goal is achieved, then i can be more picky and discerning about what kind of job/life i want.
    But until the 4th goal is achieved i can only take what i can get and be greatful.
    (Not to mention at this point i cant even get a bank account! Damn)

18. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    This is an interesting question.....

I have never been in a position where I have been desperate enough to sell myself or compromise my beliefs. I think it's a combination of hard work, tactics and well luck ~ I have been blessed in that way and I am grateful for the life that I have.

So, for me there is nothing that you could pay me to do something like that. However, I would never look down on someone that had to do things like this to live ~ If anything, I would help them to rise above that situation if they wished ~

Everyone deserves a hand up, but not a hand out. Hand out's are just a short term solution and really, a wee bit demeaning to the person receiving it.

19. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    anything less than 10 times would be less than my current job as an Engineer. and especially for the type of work that I would not be comfortable with. With the amount of hours, even at 100 times I would probably die from overwork. My body isn't what it used to be. The stress from the psychological distaste of the type of job and the hours would probably kill me.

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  20. gheist1234

gheist1234 |Path Finder| 『WuxiaWworld Vet.』|Beardy| |Zen|

Reading List:
    Link
    @Ryss, you might like this.

Ryss likes this.