Making a map in c++

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Zaart, Sep 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    GREAT im good at art O>O other than that... well, i do know basic html but i doubt it will useful lol

you want to learn new language... did you take a look at unity or japascript, they are the most common ones for a reason o.o

Zaart likes this.
  2. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    well i already knew c so c++ was easier to learn!
    Well we are now a team of two!
    it is already a good start!
    if you can make a basic scenario of what you want it will be quite useful to know in which direction go!

lighterxx likes this.
  3. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    OHH you dont have an idea on what kind of game you want?? then we should determine the story together *^*) i personally love fantasy what about you??

4. sleepingloli

sleepingloli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing wrong with that.

But using this post as an example: you don't know which data structure to use because you have no idea of what your access patterns are going to be like, because you haven't made any game yet so have no previous knowledge to use as reference.

So you decide what you want to achieve first: good enough game development experience, or good enough programming experience.

Or, basically, what do you want to improve first: the creative side, or the implementation side.

Your current C++ path is making you go down the programming/implementation side.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    i do too!
    i wanted to make it a bit like an old school rpg but with a lot of class!
    but naturally start small with the basics then grow later

lighterxx likes this.
  6. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    we can first design the main classes, and maybe make them grow according to their development like in granblue?? it would also add an element of challenge o.o

7. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    hum honestly i want to make a game that i and other can enjoy
    it is more about the journey than the result, i mean trying to do my best and see where it goes

8. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    welp go PM?

lighterxx likes this.
  9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Quick question @Zart: what engine are you planning on running this in? C++ is actually surprisingly vague in terms of what your game architecture should actually look like (a game in unreal engine would follow a far different scheme than something like allegro)

10. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    I was planning on doing everything from scratch with sfml
    Doing an old school type rpg
    I already made one in csfml (it was basic and not optimized) so i though why not go a step further

Ai chan and UnGrave like this.
  11. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    default implementation of malloc in c++ was tiered towards a certain behavior and object types. The people who rewrote it needed to do something else, which was making malloc to perform much slower. So they made their own in order to speed it up

Zaart likes this.
  12. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean libs for game-making. It would be much faster to use what people already created rather to write all this stuff again.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  13. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    well where would the fun be in that?
    (also i am not sure where to look T-T)

14. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you are correct if you are talking about releasing games professionally. If you are talking about learning, it is much better to make it yourself.

15. Shtirliz

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not always right. What you need to know is language and logic behind the scene. If you would like to know how everything implemented then you would spend much time without much result. Now in world there too much knowledge to know it all. What you need to do is to know how to use tools, not how to produce tools.

16. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    acquiring knowledge is the result of trying things yourself. That is what we usually call education. You do not need a lot of skill to call an api function, but you do need skill and knowledge to understand what exactly is happening inside that api function. If all your development comes down to calling a bunch of apis, you are either a noob or a third rate who are producing templated products. If you want to develop a good product, I would say that you actually should spend some time understanding how your tools actually work. Otherwise, you will spend much more time debugging shit without understanding why one feature or another is broken.

17. Shtirliz

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all about a question what exactly your main target: create a game? Create engine and its demo? Understand language? Or maybe something else?

18. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    What i am looking for is to have fun while learning ^^
    I inow my game might be lame but i am interested in the journey
    What i will learn, what i will do...
    So create a game from scratch i guess

19. Shtirliz

Reading List:
    Link
    No, what we call education is specially created set of events to most efficiently transfer knowledge. If you just do something and get some knowledge in result then it called experience.
    Your point that you should know everything is rediculous. It's bullshit to know all what behind every api in libs programmers use. It's not even to point a reason why api exists and its definition. You should only head to insides if you have a time to customise it for your needs or if there is bug. It's basic knowledge. If you need to know whats inside lib to use then it's a lib which should not be used in first place(and everyone would call it buggy shit). I repeat once again: time is not infinite and you should make some priorities in what you would like to do to achieve needed result. You cannot know all.

20. Shtirliz

Reading List:
    Link
    What I would recommend is to search for nearby offline course anout how to create a game. Or to made a call in internet to made or join online group for it. It's always more fun to do such things in group and it would be a motivation to not stop it in the middle.

Zaart likes this.