Discussion Chinese novel and racism

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by duurka, Aug 6, 2019.

1. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I dunno either :whistle: ... just keep seeing that stupid image in various comment sections of streaming sites.

2. thezealot

thezealot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys should stop crying. These novels were written by Chinese authors for a Chinese audience - not a western or non-chinese audience.

If you don’t like it you’re free to read western novels like Harry Potter, Anne Frank’s Diary, or go watch Captain Marvel.

3. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    You got the reference.

Now, another point in Chinese novels is the posture regarding the sexuality of others. in the last chapter of Abyss Domination that I read, the MC will be happy to kill some druids because they do sex with animals, so he will be cleaning "this filth". That, after some ranting against drows and followers of the Goddess of Life that have liberal sex lives. Go f*ck yourself and leave others be, Soran! Nobody asked for your opinion. Or authorization.

4. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't like our opinion on Chinese novels, you are free to read western novels like Harry Potter, Anne Frank's Diary, or go watch Captain Marvel.

Hilyantomi and firefox1234 like this.
  5. thezealot

thezealot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobody is forcing you to read chinese web novels. If you find the content objectionable then you can simply choose to consume politically correct Western books and media that promote a message of equality, feminism, and pro-LGBT instead.

I don’t get the gripes in this thread - a lot of you like to read extremely violent and sexually explicit chinese web novels - but you get bent out of shape over a few nationalistic statements.

Saikyi likes this.
  6. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    There's things and things. First, the sex and violence are part of the story. The nationalistic statements are propaganda. If they take the unnecessary nationalistic statements out, we would have more story.

About the moralism, it's weird, because they have some history with sex, rape, and murder, and then there's that history where their MC pretend to be a "saint" that only murder but don't do sex and even berate the ones that do sex. I don't need that, and the story doesn't need to. They need a way to paint some characters as sexually active and have the MC being a stoic monk, then they appeal to this kind of moralism.

And then there's the blatant racism. I know they have a history with Japanese invading them, but I think they should get things separated. This is not a thing about the ethnicity of the Japanese. They aren't determined to be that way by their genes.

And it works the other way too. The Japanese novels I read almost don't have Chinese and Koreans characters there, but you can see the disgusting sense of superiority they have, the condescending attitude, the idea that only Japan and the Japanese count.

The few Korean novels/manhwa I read have exactly the same problem. Racism, condescending attitude, and so on.

And I have the right to be offended or disgusted by it. I don't need to love everything they write in the novels. Does that make me a SJW or simply a reader that likes some things and hate others?

7. Nisaea

Nisaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh I don't think I've read any CN novel set in our world and I can imagine the racism you guys are talking about, but don't Korean novels always shit on China too? and in them, every other country is usually destroyed or swarmed by monsters.

8. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I live in Asia near three countries. I don’t give a shit if they trading shits as long as they don’t mess up my country, which is sadly they do in indirect ways in real life. Can I complain against it? Sure. But most likely countries like mine will just pick sides on who we like first and the state of our current relationship. Ideally, there should be not some pissing around but countries have long memories than human will ever have. And unfortunately, my country isn’t as prosperous as those three. We’re part of the little fish in the little pond with these three countries.

You don’t have to like it. You have a right to complain about it. Just bear in mind that you’re not their target audience and I think you know in the future that reading it will just frustrate you. Also, there is a thing about East VS West. The individual vs collective. We can’t be all citizens of Western idealism, you know.

And here I was complaining about my country’s own lack of identity and nationalism to my own peers....I guess complaining about putting your country first is bad concept to discuss around Westerners.

PS. I don’t know where you live and no personal offense to you but those traits you didn’t like isn’t exclusive to Asia nor its writing. It’s a people thing. I look over the pond and if you’re American, I apologize for taking your reply with a little grain of salt.

PPS. Is it racist if I call another fellow Asian deplorable nicknames?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Saikyi likes this.
  9. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Japan trash, China trash, Korea trash, Europe the best, right?
    /thread

ATrueStory likes this.
  10. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it is a people thing. The problem is, with all that censoring, why they have a policy of encouraging prejudice against other people?

This kind of thing resulted in the horrible things Japanese did in WWII, and Germans did in the same war. I mean, encouraging the same mindset will result in the same outcome, people thinking that people living in other countries aren't human or are less human than them, less deserving of respect, and so on.

It's a shame, it's a waste and it infuriates me.I don't care if it's part of the culture, there are certain things that must die.

Hilyantomi likes this.
  11. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the audience for these ideas is not you.
    In fact, I'm sick of these racism and excessive superiority, but I'm also sick of those white supremacist groups, but they still exist, don't they?
    This is unavoidable, any time, any country will have these problems.
    Thank the Internet, it makes the world no longer distant; Curse the Internet, it makes people aware of each other's greatest malice.
    Entertainment products? That's just the smallest part, that's all.

Hilyantomi, ATrueStory and kkgoh like this.
  12. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha totally agreed.

You can easily draw parallels with crime incidences.
    Go sign up for local crime stats (usually free service provided by local govt). Look for the crime map, which is the number of different crime incidences plotted on a Google Map.
    Depending on your country (USA at least), you'll realize there are robberies/thefts/etc reported EVERYDAY happening in your vicinity. And there ALWAYS seems to be a registered sex offender living just a few blocks away from you. You just don't notice it most of the time.

Sometimes too much information will burst the bubble of safety you think you have.

Hilyantomi and firefox1234 like this.
  13. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe the world will be better, but at least, not now.

14. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're digging too much into history. In the case of censorship, people aren't so closeted nowadays. even the Chinese find ways to get over the Great Firewall. Are they the minority? Sure. But at least they aren't as blinkered as you like them to think. And I think it's more to their derision of being walled off rather than embracing Western ideals or your brand of ideals.

Certain things that must die? Ideas live with people. If you're going for that, at least conceded that you're thinking of eliminating people for the sake of not thinking what you think is right. Like old people should die because they have 'bad' and 'old' ideas. Kinda sounds familiar and historical if you look too much closely.

15. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    But we must stomp all these stupid ideas! They are not art! Authors/creators are inherently sexist/racist/ (insert ism here)! They just use this art for their cover! Cancel them and deprive them of their livelihood! Only 'good' artist should be rewarded! /s

16. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, include the rest of the Enlightened West! The US isn't just a p big chunk of land, you know?
    Asia is weird and funny and old! they are so backward they don't adopt our ideas (/s)!
    As if these western powers didn't enrich themselves enough with colonization in the past and most of the world dancing to their tune even now.

GDLiZy likes this.
  17. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too, but their discourse is criminalized. Hate speech can land you jail in some countries, most of them developed.

And? I think two wrongs don't make a right. I mean, the way Asiatics are treated in some western countries is outright wrong, but that doesn't turn our Chinese writers sh*t justified.

I think the 'tu quoque' argument is not a winning move.

Hilyantomi likes this.
  18. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes but not fictional stories or books like "To Kill a Mockingbird" would have been banned, or "Huckleberry Finn".

One thing you have to remember is "familarity breeds contempt", our modern day anti-racist stance was a result of long term exposure and civil rights movements and exposure to multi-culturalism. China does not have that yet, their values are very similar to Western values during the Colonial era, they simply do not THINK like we do currently, their mindset is similar to an Englishman in the 1800s and like the Englishman then who does not think he is thinking something wrong, they don't either.

Never underestimate both the time and the evolution of values, they are needed to create our modern psyche, and don't expect people who have neither the time nor the evolution to think like you do. It's only with enough time will they start to conform to the global viewpoint.

firefox1234 likes this.
  19. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    And anybody else with a different opinion from the global viewpoint is just the worst of everything.

20. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Silent majority.
    Really rational people tend not to… mix in these ideas, and these people are much fewer now.
    Maybe there is no law to punish these people in China at present, but some extremist actors will be restrained, and Chinese netizens are not as easily incited as before.