help. Any English Major out there? I need some input about my research proposal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lolistalker, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I would argue that different people get a difference experience out of a novel, depending on the level of sophistication of the novel, and how well each reader is able to interpret the work. (As well as the fact that each reader receives different levels of enjoyment from the work for varying reasons.)

Moonpearl likes this.
  2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Moonpearl brought up a good point, interactive games are more akin to the Choose Your Own Adventure books in the past so novels are not totally divorced from the branching storyline of games.

Just a warning though, you might not want your topic to be too specific, if you narrow it down too much, it becomes a niche paper most will not bother to read. It's better to go in reverse, like "Differences between Novels and Interactivity of Game Stories" and in your Methodology use Witcher 3 as a study example than to base the topic on Witcher 3 in the first place. Start big and go narrow has a bigger audience than starting narrow and hope people might see the bigger application later.

3. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    - Most RPG player like to find and read the Lore, lore itself is world building story of the game. The reasons player want to read the lore because most of the lore have hidden clues about upcoming event/quest and clues about unique items, another reason player want read lore because the fascinated story of lore itself.
    - The succesfull of Side Quest usually rewarded player with item or equipment that might help you on higher level or in another case Side Quest may affected your options/choice on Main Quest and the Ending. Basically all the side quests involving major NPCs that are connected to the main quests can cause some consequences in the world as well.

I don't know if that might help you or not but those are the reasons how I usually play rpg games.

Lolistalker and Moonpearl like this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lolistalker you can go to edubirdie and see if anyone can help but leave that as your last resort (Usually you get the help you need, or at least that is what people say, I didn't use it so I can't guarantee anything :blobsweat_2: but according some acquaintance they are reliable)

5. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    O_O *wonders* Is this the reason mom was forced to spend days searching for plagiarism when she knew the student wasn’t able to write the paper she handed in? Don’t do it. Your professor will know it isn’t you.

6. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, he can just ask for help on the part he wants, besides the website offers a plagiarism checker not to mention there are even profs there or so they say

7. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Yea I'm aware, I'll probably explain and limit the novel example to the commonly used format while acknowledging the existence of "choose your adventure" novel, as for visual representation limiting interpretation, that is arguable and I think they are just simply different instead of one limiting the other, like movie vs book for example, a scene/picture could convey something a hundred words can't and vice versa, written stories has it own advantage and disadvantage. I will probably go deeper into them in my research, thanks for pointing that out

2) yea, thats what confuses me, my professor keep giving homework but not enough explanation ;( I will probably have to read more book and reference

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Moonpearl likes this.
  8. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    Plagiarism checker can’t beat an experienced professor’s intuition!

*becomes murderous* Those professors have no loyalty to their job... *sharpens staff* I think they will need to meet my “little” friend here...

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  9. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Your little friend? the nut :blobastonished:?
    :blobamused:

Lolistalker and Anra7777 like this.
  10. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    The sharpened staff. Which in a murderous rage I might end up accidentally using like a knife. :blobowoevil_horns:

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  11. Lolistalker

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the input but I have paid a good amount to study in this decent uni, paying more to skip learning is kinda counterintuitive, it is probably cheaper and easier to just buy a counterfeit PhD document if that is all I want

And I like literature, it is my hobby, the only reason I go to uni is to learn and waste my time, I'm leaning more toward business for future income as I have my parents to help, or maybe worst case scenario I will just be a landlord

12. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    They do that in literature... It's because there are a hundred ways to write for literature that's completely valid, and it's much easier to just say "that's wrong" when you encounter it.
    I think there are books out there that will do their best to tell you how to write an essay/dissertation/English research proposals. You can read them for some hints, but don't take them as the gospel. My friend and I both wrote essays in such different ways that we weren't even able to offer each other feedback, but we both ended up with the same grades.

For my dissertation, I guess "method" fell into me explaining the general gist of what I wanted to look at and why it was relevant, and then going through my plan for each chapter, explaining what I was going to dedicate each to exploring and why.

13. Lolistalker

Reading List:
    Link
    damn, sir, thank you

14. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

15. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One way to avoid being accused of plagiarism is keep sending parts of the document to professor and consult if it is enough . There is this thesis group that was rejected because they do not consult the professor and just submit the final document in one go. The professor is a bipolar tyrant though. The students became expert psychologist as they figure out when to approach. They observed and notice that he play classical music when he is upset so if we hear classical music at his desk we postpone the consultation.

imK and Lolistalker like this.
  16. Lolistalker

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the input
    Make sense but I don't need to worry about that for now, I can always change it later down the line, I'm still far away from actually doing an actual research, this homework is for my Introduction to Research class, I think your answer is good enough to help me finish this homework, thank you

But more input is always welcome, sooner or later I will need it anyway, or maybe I could do more of the heavy lifting for the research before my last year which is never a bad idea

Really, thank you everyone for your input, I learn a lot

Moonpearl likes this.
  17. Lolistalker

Reading List:
    Link
    lmao, that is genius, I could use this

18. Lolistalker

Reading List:
    Link
    of course, but that is more subtle and is caused by a different reason, I could also probably use this example and explain further in the paper, thanks~

19. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If sending the document is not possible then save to a folder in google drive. The thing about google drive is there is a version number and timestamp and you could see the revisions and save dates.

To use it choose manage versions by left clicking on the file. Must select keep it forever. It also possible to upload the revision but it should be the same filename.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Lolistalker likes this.
  20. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    in such case librarians are best to ask for, but if you are really struggling etc, i can look at my schoool's database for you to download if you want o.o

Lolistalker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.