Question Getting Started Translating

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Frgrg123, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Frgrg123

Frgrg123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, so I'm a broke college student that is fairly fluent in Chinese, with a very basic knowledge of Japanese. I have a decent amount of free time now, so I was wondering if there was some way I could make some money through translating (Pokemon Sword and Shield in November :D ). Any advice for how to get started would be greatly appreciated. I know that bigger translation sites such as Wuxiaworld hire translators for money, but I'm not quite how big of a commitment working for those sites would be (classes, exams, job search could all impact my free time/motivation). I'm also open to translating more...adult...content if that matters that all.

2. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
  3. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    First thing would be to try and get in contact with the sites that you have in mind. Talk to them about time commitment and other such things.

4. Ashley123

Ashley123 Your senior

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, most translators don’t make that much money, imo. Compared to if you were to work irl, with a regular salary. If you want to make good money, you need to pick up a really good novel and have regular schedules, harder than it seems. So yeah, my advice to you would be... you shouldn’t expect much money, and if you want that, work irl! :D

5. Otakuromanticgirl

Otakuromanticgirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try to PM Addis from Exiled Rebel Scanlations. They are searching for translator right now. But, I don't know if they are paying translator or not. Btw, translator of yaoi content. So, yeah...I am just telling.

6. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you need to contact groups that are willing to pay translators and pass a test first. Unless you already did this kind of job and can prove it.

7. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    @Frgrg123
    If you want some pocket money, there's a site calle conyac.cc that hires translators for random things and projects. If you just translate random things, there's no real commitment needed (other than confidentiality); you'll need to translate a lot of very short texts, though.

8. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's Chinese then you'll have a big problem earning money through it due to how large the competition is.

Korean on the other hand, if it's Game Element, people will read and support it regardless how shitty they claim it is.

Also, there aren't much Chinese Genre that readers are interested now unlike Warlock of the Magus World, I Shall Seal the Heavens, and some other early stuffs which had great cult followings until now. New Generation Chinese genres are viewed as repetitive now.

9. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    Hiya @Frgrg123, I have sent you a dm inviting you to join a group that I think fits the requirements you are looking for :blobReach::blobxd:

10. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link