Discussion Chinese novel and racism

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by duurka, Aug 6, 2019.

1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Hate speech like he mentioned is often a feature in multi-cultural countries where there is a concern to protect the minorities of a different race. I am pretty sure that since most Asian countries are homogenous i.e. the majority of the population are native there isn't really a need for that kind of hate speech right now. In my country, it's more targeted on minorities based on sexuality like LGBT. Even so, Asian countries like to piss off each other and call other nations by stereotype. It's like your neighbor, which lives next to you but really hate their guts.

2. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well… In fact, it's a very complex issue, involving sociology, history, and some "external factors" …

3. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    These are old things. And yet there are some people banning these and other books. Recently Brazil had some discussion because of some child books from Monteiro Lobato. There's racist language in that book because it was written in the first half of the 20th century. Today there's still racism, but it is not accepted as a normal thing, and it can land you in jail.

Well said. Well, no need to go back that long, there was a lot of blatant racism and xenophobia against Germans in England until the Second World War.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-German_sentiment

4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol I sense a sarcasm in the Force.

5. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually there can be 2 facets of the same thing. Beyond the "protection against criminal immigrants" thing, the Chinese version of it is IMO due to the reverse, they very rarely see a Black or a Caucasian so their stereotypes are based on ignorance and racial stereotyping so it is not only due to multi-culturalism but just humans being lazy thinkers. So it's both racism but from different causes. Trying to point out either familiarity or unfamiliarity as the cause don't seem to work because both sides end up racial stereotyping anyway so my gut call is that it really isn't a factor.

Matteus and ElefantVerd like this.
  6. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I was born in a country with almost no nationalism so when I see it on CN novels, it's kinda cringe..

Nightow1 likes this.
  7. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're bringing in nationalism as part of the cringe though, I'd say the same about the American and British novels/movies. In fact, any nationalism is cringe because cringe is an effective propaganda machine. Embrace the cringe and be one with it. :blobowoevil_horns:

Hilyantomi likes this.
  8. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

I despise the goddamn Japs!

Shibb likes this.