Discussion The End?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Sep 23, 2019.

?

q

1. Sci fi survival and prosperity

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Asteroid-mageddon

7 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Volcano-geddon

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Alien invasion

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Hentai alien invasion

24 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. Simulation ends

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Global warming - so lame

33 vote(s)
    20.9%
  8. Virus

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. WW3

34 vote(s)
    21.5%
  10. Someone took a half circle bite of chocolate bar instead eating by blocks

26 vote(s)
    16.5%
  11. Rise of the machines

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I consider myself to be pretty up with science, but I have noticed that the science of global warming/climate change has been tainted with politics, publish and perish syndrome, and the desire for funding. The Earth is gonna do it's thing, what we need to do, as a species, is figure out how to survive this moment in Earth history so we don't end up on Ancient Aliens Season 5321. :)

Also, its important that we all realise we are in this together ~ Those that believe in man-made climate change and those of us that think it's minimal ~ It's time to find some common ground for the survival of our civilisations if climate change gets unbearable for human life ~

Peace ~

Jojo775 likes this.
  2. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    our current problem with global warming has as final boss the nuclear winter though.........

3. XziebertX

XziebertX Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait so you say global warming making the world colder? I mean mean final boss is the ultimate enemy right? (by game standard final boss is the combination of all enemy/leader of the enemy)
    Please explain since winter is clearly not warm...

4. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    Global Warming doesn't only include in its definition "Making the earth hotter" it also means the way it has become hotter and the effects from it..

So when i say "The final boss will be a nuclear winter" i mean it in a way that the greenhouse effect (The thingy that makes earth hotter since it captures the radiation from the sun and it doesn't let it go away) might at some point stop the radiation from coming in

A nuclear winter's effect is to stop the radiation from the sun from coming into the atmosphere by a dense cloud of ash, so my idea of nuclear winter as a final boss might be one oversimplification (Or overexageration), but then again...

I ain't a weather science! guy

I did read somehwere a few days ago that the hole in the african continent caused by contamination was mending so the final boss might be a few decades from coming though.....

5. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I bet our chances in those 2% rate of planetary destruction in the upcoming meteor's trajectory that will either slide by or collide.

7. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually meant the part about going into a virtual reality because truck kun killed you while playing

8. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too many planets, too few hands. I think there would be a use for slaves. But it'd be more like the aliens just show up once a year to collect whatever resource they ordered us to have ready. Like taxes. But every time you don't meet the quota, they glass a continent as warning.
    Or they order us to build the robots that will replace us as their workers. Having your current slaves working at creating even better slaves, means the slave manager doesn't have to do anything. Just like making someone train their replacement in a company, heartless but efficient~

... I always get a bit unhappy when I see that. Most living things are the same as humans, they just have outside controls stopping them. For example, bacteria do it. And herbivores will eat themselves to extinction without an outside control (carnivores). Carnivores do the same, but they get controlled by lack of food when they kill too many herbivores. Humans are the same as anything else, we've just found a way to fight against one of the traditional controls: Farming plants to fight lack of food. Like how some ants do. And we made weapons to throw off the control from being hunted. And transportation+refridgeration to fight the control of the weather/seasons on food supplies. And ranching to fight the control from lack of herbivores from overhunting. Medicine to fight the control of random disease.
    So, living things are mostly the same. We just have been slowly removing the shackles one by one.
    Plants might be a little different, but that's mostly because they cannot move and are sometimes forced to think in terms of long term balance or face death/extinction. That's for things like trees. Smaller ones are the same as us and bacteria. Algae blooms for example. Or a species of plant taking over a field and choking out every other species, and then dying off later because it used up all of something in the soil, that would have been put back by the plant it killed off to take over. Some plants are smarter about it and will spare certain types of plants while taking over. I don't know very much about it, but it's interesting stuff right?

TL;DR: I believe that that statement is wrong. Humans and other animals are the same in that way, we just have ways to fight the limitations that other animals don't.

-----------------

For the end, no comment.
    But thanks to this thread, I found out that the "End of Ze World" video I saw when I was a kid has a part 2 now. So that's nice.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  9. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    We have no use for slaves, yet you think a more advanced civilization would? There's no such thing as too many planets, you can have them empty if you don't need them and if they're anything like humanity it's only a matter of time before it becomes too few planets.
    It's possible they would use slaves, not cause they need them but coz of their culture, but more likely is that you watch too much sci fi.

10. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I take that last line as a compliment. But I wasn't thinking of sci-fi, I was thinking of business. If their civ has businesses, I don't see any reason a business wouldn't want free extra workers, or any extra chance to turn a profit.

11. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Look what's better, having a tractor, harvester or slaves manually plowing the fields? That's already old technology and the slaves inefficency only grows with better tech. It's not 100% free labor if you have to keep the healthy, clean, fed and not rebelious. You want them to do something more skilled, you have to educate them, good luck keeping them in line then.
    Also it's barbaric, it's likely that the higher civilization goes less barbaric it's culture.

Sabruness likes this.
  12. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    well if humanity is to cease to exist there is only one way!
    an immense drug fueled orgy accidentaly summon satan.
    then he join.
    and it summon ctuluh!
    who then join.
    and it summon GAIA!
    who then join.
    and finally it summon nothing.
    so nothing push at everything which tear reality away.
    in a way you could say nothing joined and teared more holes than satan!
    and so it is the end of humanity!

13. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause of human extinction from the most likely to the least likely:

1. Virus(or Bacteria or such) - Lots of things can push us to the edge but no matter what happens, disease is likely going to be what actually wipes us out in the end...

2. Asteroid - Plenty of those around and if one is big enough, it might wipe us out before we could get sick and die of disease in the aftermath...

3. Rise of the machines - They might be able to kill us quickly enough but... I suspect, ultimately it would be disease that would actually finish us off...

4. Alien Invasion - Same as with machines, but much less likely to happen...

5. Volcano, Global warming and WW3 - Are likely causes for sending us spiraling towards our extinction, but... Can't really be what ultimately wipes us out in the end I th

6. Hentai alien invasion - "Hentai" aliens that render us extinct..? ERROR! Does not compute!

7. Simulation ends - Nope... I experience, therefore I exist... Simulation is merely a description of a thing...

7. Sci fi survival and prosperity - No extinction? Survival forever? Nope... nothing will...

14. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: That tractor example is extremely convincing. I still think they might do it for a short time at least. But yeah, you're right tractors are much more appealing.

15. fuyuuri

fuyuuri 『 冬瓜 』『 ☀ and ☾ 』『 hibiscus 茶 tea 』

Reading List:
    Link
    My guess is that humans will genetically modify themselves out of existence ^^;;;;