Novel standards

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mmsupreme, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    What is your criteria for maintaining interest in a novel. Mine personally is that after 120 chapters if I felt like everything is the same as any other novel I just drop it. Also if there are multiple tournaments one after the other without any reasonable explanation then I drop it as well. I dont really care about generic beginnings since they are only introductions. Also I only accept stupidity if it is written in the character or it's not blatantly obvious

philosopher17 likes this.
  2. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    No ntr, no bl/yaoi or gl/yuri, interesting plot, no 2000+ chapter novel (well there are exceptions for this), proper character development, etc.
    I. Hate. Naive. Mc's. Simple as that.
    I also drop the novel if its centered too much around the mc and all the others are idiots.....
    I dont have much problem with harems but there should be some romantic development between the mc and the girls and not them falling for him on first glance. Also i generally dont read novels which have too big of a harem and of course no reverse harem too.
    Also i don't really read josei as i prefer at least some action in novels. If its only about romance then i prefer male mc more than female one.

SageXWukong, Bloodysin28 and Reak like this.
  3. Basara

Basara [Cat and co.] [Nyan] [Furry and Fluffy]

Reading List:
    Link
    If it doesn't completely suck then it's ok in my book. There's too many same generic stuff that always repeats but I don't mind reading them. Cause I usually just read to kill time and procrastinate on doing my college work.

Bloodysin28 and juniorjawz like this.
  4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know how to put it. it varies from novel to novel.

5. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    it really depends on the novel, but I hate it when it's just bashing arrogant young master in every city, town and auction. I can't stand japanese anime,manga,novel that has male main character that gets bashed by a women and he just takes it or when he blushes and does nothing to the women it retarded to miss so many (I want you signals).

6. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm interested in it, then I will just read. Then when I'm bored of it, then I will just drop. Then when I have nothing else to do, then I might come back. I don't have any standard for what I read, except for racism, yaoi, yuri novels. I only treat them as "junk foods" nowadays.
    When there is a novel that I truly interested in for the moments, then I will keep reading it till I'm bored of it, or when I caught up or finish the novel.

7. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well for me i probably gonna drop any novel if after 50 chapters mc stay in same setting or still facing same problem. I like novel with mc that travel to different places n solving many different problems one after another.

MMWO likes this.
  8. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Unique concept, Original??, Fun to read.

No obvious plot armor winning mc (sudden help, somehow lucky, meh)

I can stand with harem, but cant stand against b*tch heroine.

Lastly, probably no repetitive plot like face slapping repeat and praise mc arc frequently (except SoL genre probably i dont really mind)

9. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    I had to stop the legend of ling Tian because the mc pussed out on torture against a female who was actively threatening his family. It was good until that point and it absolutely killed my motivation for that story. He was cold blooded in every other situation but because a girl said I love you whilst planning on killing your father you go all soft.

Renaxan likes this.
  10. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much this. Occasional tournaments are alright, but if every next arc is a tournament I tend to drop the novel.

11. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as it don't get too much repetitive and racist

12. ANP008

ANP008 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no NTR, Yaoi, Shounen Ai, Stupid MC, too much changing POV and no obvious plot armor.
    I'm okay with a bit of dense protagonist, because Let's face it, it can be really hard to understand women.
    and I don't really like revenge, drama and tragedy, I will still read it if it seems interesting but I usually won't if there other novel.

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If the novel gets boring, I drop it. As simple as that.

I mean, what else would I need?

14. Bitter Sweet

Bitter Sweet 『Gomi Delivery Service』

Reading List:
    Link
    So long as the author puts in some effort or doesn't use it as an outlet for other things, I usually don't mind reading it.

15. draw2much

draw2much Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it keeps me laughing. I've stuck with stories that weren't exactly air tight simply because I laughed almost every chapter.

Also, I love happy endings. Or perhaps more precisely, satisfying endings. When I can sense a satisfying ending near by, I get tingles! I will suffer through the angst to get to that sweet sweet ending!

Characters who consistently make decisions based on their personally held beliefs. This doesn't mean I AGREE with those decisions. They could put hella stupid, but they MAKE SENSE for the character. That's the important thing!

Internally consistent logic within a story. Once again it doesn't have to be real-world logical or scientifically accurate, but within itself there needs to be a consistency. I love an author who remembers their own plots and sticks to them!

Silky smooth writing. 99% free of spelling errors and grammar mistakes that only an English Major would notice (lol). The plot of the story doesn't have to be outstanding, but if it's well written, wow! I just want to hang around and read for that reason alone!

16. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a novel doesn't appeal to me in the free chapter and I want to pay for it, I will choose to leave.
    In fact, I don't usually read more than twenty chapters in a row. When you have read many novels, there are not many reasons for you to continue reading, and there are many reasons for you to give up reading.(n)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.