[Poll] How hard is it to live without your voice?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Oct 5, 2019.

Tags:
?

How many lifetimes would it take for you to fulfill all three objectives without your voice?

1. I would reincarnate forever - Impossible for me to fulfill all three objectives

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. I would reincarnate forever - I don't feel like fulfilling the marriage objective

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. I would reincarnate forever - I don't feel like fulfilling the children objective

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. I would reincarnate forever - I would enjoy living life again and again

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. I would reincarnate forever - Other reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Over 1000 lifetimes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. 500 lifetimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 100 lifetimes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. 50 lifetimes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. 30 lifetimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 20 lifetimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 10 lifetimes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  13. 5 lifetimes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  14. 3 lifetimes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  15. 2 lifetimes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  16. 1 lifetime -- my first try!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  17. I'm unsure

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  18. I do not wish to answer

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    The horrible celestial spouse series continues...... :notlikeblob::notlikeblob::notlikeblob:

Last episode, a Celestial abducted you from Earth to make you into his/her spouse. However, since you were a little young for their tastes, the Celestial wanted your mental age to mature a little bit — and originally decided to lock you into a solitary dimensional room for several centuries. However, Celestial changed their mind after a few decades. They came up with a new idea that they felt was less boring.

You will be reincarnated into an isekai universe, but with no cheats.

In fact, you'll be reincarnated with a debuff: you will be complete unable to speak in any fashion.

In neurology, there is a condition called "Broca's Aphasia" which results from a lesion in the frontal lobe of the brain. Patients with this condition can understand what it said to them perfectly well. However, they are unable to formulate words. It doesn't matter how they attempt to communicate or in any language. Regardless if they try to use their mouth, write on paper, use sign language, or type messages — they are unable to produce meaningful words/language. The feeling is similar to having words on the tip of your tongue, but being unable to say anything.

For your isekai life, you will be reincarnated into an ordinary family in a conventional medieval fantasy setting (e.g. swords, magic, demon lord, heroes, dragons). You will retain your memories from your past lives, however you will be unable to express language in any fashion, similar to Broca's aphasia.

There are three objectives to your isekai life that you must fulfill to pass this stage:

1. You must get married to someone
    2. You must have children with someone
    3. You need to live at least until age 50

If you fail to fulfill ALL of the objectives, you will be repeatedly reborn to another ordinary family in the same world (a couple decades into the future) until you manage to succeed. Once you live a lifetime to age 50, the Celestial will come to claim you. It is unclear what the Celestial has planned next — perhaps you will be put through another set of isekai lifetimes with a different condition — or perhaps finally you will get married to the Celestial as originally promised.

The Celestial seems to be very cold-hearted! Who knows what they are thinking? :blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns::blobowoevil_horns:

1. How many lifetimes would it take for you to fulfill all three conditions without your voice?

2. How would you imagine your life if you are unable to communicate? How in the world would you marry someone or raise children? What about regular everyday affairs like working a job or shopping?

3. Do you think you would ever find happiness with this kind of situation?

4. What is your current opinion of the Celestial? Will the next scenario be better or worse?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  2. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Is nodding and shaking head also impossible? If so then
    1. Never
    2. It would be a very hard life
    3. I am not sure... I might?
    4. Selfish? Sadistic?

3. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is fine!

I believe you would be able to emote and be expressive with your basic body language -- however any degree of language that requires memorization (e.g. complicated sign language) would be impossible. Basically you would have the vocabulary of a baby (e.g. "Ahh") if you really tried to vocalize, I think.

EDIT: I think I read an article once that these patients can still play music fine? Apparently the music part of the brain is different from the language part.

4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds impossible. Since you are unable to communicate with them, the people around you will assume you are a “simpleton.” Forget about falling in love, even getting an arranged marriage would likely be impossible, no matter how many lifetimes it takes.

lychee likes this.
  5. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    That's crazy. Living in a medieval age without any language would be almost impossible. Let alone living to the age of 50.
    GG. Your family will probably leave you out on the streets to die.

Also, do you have to get married and have kids with the same person or does it not matter?

6. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Its actually alot more simple than you realize.

Step 1- Lv up your tongue action, you dont need language where you are going.
    Step 2- Find someone to bear children. Pay someone to have children. Brothels may be helpful. Girl doesn't have to be pretty just fertile.
    ( For people getting abit off for paying someone for sex to have children. ONLY THE RESULT MATTER~ Crimson boi)
    Step 3- Go to hibernation kinda like a bear for 50 years, which would lessen your chances of dying in 50 years. Maybe cryosleep?
    Step 4- Profit? You may get reincarnated but to be on the safe side

KINGU CRIMSON!
    Optional- Donut to be on safe side

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  7. Mordiggian

Mordiggian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Relationships are hard enough when you can talk...
    But hey, you could get lucky and have your family set up an arranged marriage for you!
    If you just want to enjoy life here:
    Since there is magic, which typically is based on learning, I figure 1-2 lifetimes to learn enough to seriously impress people as a child in the next lifetime and gain an apprenticeship under someone important. After a couple more tries, eventually you could get supporters to prepare for your next reincarnation (communication would be difficult, but maybe drawings or just playing 20 (hundred) questions to get around the restrictions?)

AliceShiki, Zomula and lychee like this.
  8. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you might have a grace period until maybe 5-6 years old before your family decides you're "simpleton"!

That said, it might be better just to pretend to be mute and refuse to talk. Your actions would indicate that you comprehend and understand perfectly well.

Actually, if you were very extreme you could take a knife and cut out your tongue around eight years old or something, that way when you're walking around looking for a job you can just point at your tongue. (kind of like Hunger Games?)

It seems I never specified, so I guess it's okay to interpret it in your favor! :blobxd::blobxd::blobxd:

Really creative thoughts! Thanks! I agree that retaining your memories from your previous lifetimes makes a critical difference!

9. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    How would you get married when you can't communicate?
    How would you even get the money to pay the brothel? You literally can't communicate with anyone. You can't do any normal form of work so you'll have to rob people. Honestly it's far more likely to have children if you just get strong enough and ambush women at night.

You're trying to learn magic when you're already on hell difficulty? How are you going to learn it when nobody can communicate it to you? You can't read anything and nobody will be willing to teach you. You'll be literally learning how to use magic from nothing. It'll be the same difficulty as the first person to ever discover magic.

AMissingLinguist, lychee and Anra7777 like this.
  10. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? But reading should be okay? So long as you were able to learn it to begin with?

Language comprehension is fine. Language expression is not!

AMissingLinguist and AliceShiki like this.
  11. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that's not really Broca's Aphasia since it usually includes difficulty reading and an overall difficulty with language.

If you have full comprehension then that's a lot easier. You'll probably be able to achieve the goals in... 20-100 lifetimes?

12. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you can't write/make signs, can you take a book/painting and point at the words/images in it to communicate?

13. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    In most cases they still could communicate, albeit with some difficulty. Singular words usually, and chopped sentenced like "bring him to me dead or alive" into "bring dead".

14. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t think that mute people would have been treated very well in the medieval ages. Then again, I’ve read one too many historical fiction novels from even just a few hundred years ago where mutes or deaf people were considered brain dead, no matter what the actual state of their intelligence was. But that could be wrong. Maybe I should look that up right now... instead of sleeping...

lychee likes this.
  15. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup! I made it extra extreme for the scenario!

There are different kinds of aphasia! Language comprehension and language expression are in entirely different parts of the brain!

Consequently, it's is entirely possible for there to be someone who talks incessantly but can't understand a word that is being said/read to them (e.g. Wernicke's aphasia), or a person who understands everything said/read to them but has incredible difficulty saying much themselves (e.g. Broca's aphasia)!

You can also have a defect in both, which is more of a global aphasia!

I think so?

I hope Anra-sensei is able to sleep!

:blobupset::blobupset::blobupset:

AMissingLinguist and AliceShiki like this.
  16. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the loophole. Just arrange for someone to write a notebook of common word/sentence and carry it everywhere.

17. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't that only be the case if they already knew the language? You're being sent to an isekai world without an cheats. That clearly means you don't know the language. In a medieval world there aren't any schools so the only way you can learn is by speaking to others... which you can't do. It'll probably take a few lifetimes just to learn the language at the most basic level.

If you're stubborn enough not to give up then after you've learnt skills like stealing, basic language then you would have to move onto maybe gettings stronger or learning magic.

Don't double post. You can edit for a reason.

AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ask that to a guy whose Flat-Earth nagging mom-in-law now has laryngitis!

19. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    human will sometimes can do the impossible. . .

VesperNyan likes this.
  20. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just going g to reincarnate forever to get the crazy lady mad. She can't hurt me if I'm to crazy from being reincarnated so much.

Traveling Chef likes this.