[Poll] How hard is it to live without your voice?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Oct 5, 2019.

Tags:
?

How many lifetimes would it take for you to fulfill all three objectives without your voice?

1. I would reincarnate forever - Impossible for me to fulfill all three objectives

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. I would reincarnate forever - I don't feel like fulfilling the marriage objective

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. I would reincarnate forever - I don't feel like fulfilling the children objective

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. I would reincarnate forever - I would enjoy living life again and again

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. I would reincarnate forever - Other reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Over 1000 lifetimes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. 500 lifetimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 100 lifetimes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. 50 lifetimes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. 30 lifetimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 20 lifetimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 10 lifetimes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  13. 5 lifetimes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  14. 3 lifetimes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  15. 2 lifetimes

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  16. 1 lifetime -- my first try!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  17. I'm unsure

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  18. I do not wish to answer

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My, this is an intense discussion and should be more open ended.
    You've never specified a gender and the brothel does seem to be plausible.
    In case of a female, being a simpleton is alright also long as they still preform duties assuming this is similar to realistic medieval times, and less fantasy empowerment kind.
    But otherwise
    You can be accomplished without communication and during that period being illiterate was fine. Body language was also common during trade, because not everyone would have the same set of vocabulary.
    Blue-collar work, labor jobs would be able to fiance them, or perhaps enter a brothel themselves, because the silenced ones work during political game as well as for sadistic customer. I like previous comments but maybe not with an ordinary family as stated.
    Labor jobs is a most likely, and gesturing/body language should be adequate. On top of being mute, their illiterate which was common during the period. After all, it was only during the industrial age where primary education became mandatory.
    If the character is the more righteous type, they can become that accomplished adventurer that is often see in novels.
    It probably take a few lifetimes to figure out how to make an accident when cutting off the tongue seemed like an accident, knowing that in-born disabilities are similar to being cursed, a curse, or something among the paranormal because they were not normal.
    Love can be achieve without words, and children can be made via the act. Though the matter of being female, it's a bit of a struggle to give birth naturally and safely during the period, and male, they just need to hit it and eventually it'll be a success.
    The age of 50 is actually the hardest part because cleanliness was a misunderstanding during the period, and those type of products were actually a luxury. Either they were born in the world, it be hard to figure out these things, reborn from modern period, an influence can spread though it would take a while.
    Health factor included as well as leeway to figure out the formula to romance and child rearing, I'd give it tens of tens reincarnations. Only because trial in error. Already living to 60 was something to boast about in medieval periods, much to say they weren't of the ordinary class either.

2. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    False. You mostly learn intial language from listening. Mute kids, for example, develop just fine. Whereas toddler who grew up around way too many different languages will have delayed growth.

3. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess learning language won't be that difficult then. You'll just have to worry about leveraging that ability to not get treated as a retard.

lychee likes this.
  4. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Its medieval time im gonna go marry some dude at age 13 probably and at max live to 30

lychee likes this.
  5. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    You could still pick up everything as fast as other people, aside from expressing languages. You'll be treated as a mute at worst.

iampsyx likes this.
  6. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Infinite lifetimes, I've got no interest in having a spouse and even less interest in having children

2. It would be easy enough to shop and do basic labor work. Pick up an item of purchase, place in front of the shop keeper, give the appropriate amount of money. Labor work is the same, pick up an object, put down the object. Point to throat and mouth and the cross arms in the universal 'X' symbol and let them play twenty questions.

3. Me personally? Maybe, just living my life over and over again without the idiot celestial getting in the way could be fun, every time you die you are starting a new game in a new time.

4. My opinion is that they are a pathetic"god" who has let their power go to their heads.
    They seem to think that, just because they can snap their fingers and warp my reality as they see fit, I should love them or care for them in some way. They are wrong and as this case and the previous one are quite egregious in how they think I can or will be treated, my opinion of them isn't changing anytime soon.

That would be like a kidnapper picking you up and abusing you but because they give you a million dollars afterwards it should make it all ok.
    Not happening.

AliceShiki, iampsyx and lychee like this.
  7. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    The most important question here is will you be born as an ordinary person because generally in the average medi-fantasy setting even if you are born to an ordinary family you can still feasibly be born as the hero/hero helper, this will allow for a far easier time in the achievement of this.
    Two you will likely have to remove your tongue so that people can see that you can't talk and don't pester you to try to.
    Three an important question is mind reading/telepathy possible in this world if so huge problems with this become apparent.
    Finally the marriage and kids is actually fairly easy especially if you are the lone child in a family this means no matter the problems you have you are basically guaranteed a marriage then if they won't have sex with you go on to say raping women/being raped until you have kids.The hard part is after you have had kids surviving if you have had to rape.
    Otherwise this challenge is actually way easier then I first thought! You just have to get lucky and be a single child, preferably male(no rape) and female (get raped/sold off as consort to king/prince/etc (preferably after marriage and then their death) as you can't speak so can't leak secrets)!

lychee likes this.
  8. JIKI

JIKI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    then, i think can accomplish all three objectives
    in 2~3 lifetimes if I'm not too unlucky: if I have average physical ability, I don't get sudden conscription, dangerous monsters doesn't raze my home before I'm ten, etc., If I can keep my memories of my life in that world each time i die before turning 50, there is a very good chance I would literally kill myself so I can reincarnate and live with my memories longer and to understand more about the world
    if it's a conventional marriage similar to to our modern marriages (just without the ceremony), I'll probably try to marry someone who can talk a lot and try to express my feelings through gestures. I think being a merchant couple is doable since i can market a modern innovation. (I obviously can't make something revolutionary like guns).
    probably, as long as my village doesn't get razed by goblins or something.
    I'm annoyed at the internet being taken away from me, but if I can keep my memories of the world each time I die without accomplishing my objective, I may even be thankful to the celestial because I'll happily live in the same world for a thousand lifetimes or more. If I can learn some chantless magic in the earlier lifetimes, maybe in the later lifetimes, I'll get a get a neat title like 'the mute sage' or 'the mute arch-mage''

throughout all my lifetimes, I'll try to figure out if the celestial has other motives/another reason for doing this to me, if I can't figure it out, I'll probably try to get myself killed before I turn 50 (so I don't accomplish my third objective), to give myself more time in a world I'm more familiar with now, instead of leaving my fate in the hands of the celestial whom I don't trust.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  9. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    More than 10, I'd wager. :hmm:

I would probably spend the first few lifetimes mastering body language and facial expressions to the point where I can not flinch when in pain, remain stoic, cry on demand and pull off a completely genuine-looking fake smile, as well as familiarizing myself with the lay of the land.

Next, I would figure out a way to learn a skill that won't need communication on my part such as art, farming, cooking, swordsmanship or dancing through a combination of books, apprenticeship under a master, studying/copying someone else, and lots of practice. At least one lifetime would be dedicated to a skill. How to gain apprenticeship if I was born in a normal family? I would focus on being really good at copying, so I (or at least someone who wants me to succeed too) would be able to convince a master to take me under their wing so they can benefit from my labor.

To be honest, I think that the inability to communicate will stop being a problem with a good number of lifetimes under your belt, especially if you know how to manipulate people via acting. Most likely, I would present myself as someone to be pitied and trusted, given that I won't be able to divulge information and that I would only be able to rely on "that person" (a parent, friend, master, etc.).

Once I'm knowledgeable and experienced enough, fulfilling my objectives would be easy. But the question would be — would I? Celestial Being-sama would just find another way to play with me once I'm done!!!! :blobangery:

Question: how is magic performed — would it be via wands, chanting spells, reading magic tomes aloud, etc?

I will live my life to the fullest (as much as I can), despite all hardships and disadvantages. :blobhug:

Celestial Being-sama sure knows how to treat the person they like special~ Just wait till I get my hands on them~ :blobokhand:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  10. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone talking about how you wouldn’t survive. Me over here thinking positively :notlikeblob::blobsmilehappy:

11. LuminaDawn

LuminaDawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I got it, since it seems that it's a medieval fantasy, that means that there is a way to get strong enough to kill the celestial, what's more I'm on an infinite respawn system. In the end, I'd probably go insane, but I think that I could kill the celestial. Boom. Done. Live like Vandeliu man.

12. TiggerBane

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt it this is a average medi-fantasy not a average wuxia/xianxia!

IrregularPerson likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    1) That depends more on luck than anything... Like... Living past 50s in medieval times? That's very unlikely... Maybe magic would develop enough to keep people alive for longer though, who knows? So... Honestly unsure, would depend on my luck with diseases.
    As for the other 2 objectives of having a child and marrying? Well... Those are also more luck based than anything IMO, if my lack of speech is seen as a curse from the gods, then I will probably be unable to ever find someone... Otherwise, I think I'll have decent chances, I don't think the lack of speech would be a real issue in getting into a relationship in those circumstances.

2) It would be... Normal? I mean, since we're in a medieval setting, I probably have no choice in what my job is from the moment I was born, just follow whatever my family usually does (Would probably need to reincarnate until I was in a family of either farmers or artisans to be able to work properly, but... Well, that also depends on luck) and be content with that. In that case this is normal.
    This probably includes doing a lot of stuff together with other families, like foraging in the woods, getting water from the well, washing clothes in the river... I think I'd be able to get closer to others with time, and then getting married and having children would just need me to find a guy that clicked with me within the village.
    I mean... I could still show how I'm feeling through my facial expression and body language, so it should probably work out somehow. Life wouldn't be that terrible just because I'm completely mute... Really, the hardest part is probably living to 50.

3) Sure, being happy is not that hard, yanno? Meet people, make friends, find accomplishment in your work, find love, get children, raise your children properly... Lots of goals to achieve and work towards, it's easy to find happiness as long as you have a way to work towards it~

4) Well, whimsical kidnapper is not a good impression, is there? And not really someone I'd usually want to deal with, since they want to force me to mature by making me live life many times over in this world because they know that it will take me a long time to get lucky enough to live past 50s... >.>
    So uhn... Not really a good impression, but it could be changed by talking to him... I mean, I'm forced to be by his side anyways, might as well give him more chances than I would to most people.

mir likes this.
  14. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll reincarnate so much that my knowledge would be as vast as the sea then I'll go on and form a secret Illuminati organization and take over the world while not having any kid so I can cheat the system.

IrregularPerson and mir like this.
  15. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's cool.
    I used to dream without any language. When something needed to be communicated in the dream, it was through body language or singing. The weird thing was that people's mouths would open to sing but no sound would come out, and the message would still get passed, but in emotional form and everything would be understood even without any words in my mind either.
    Learning that it's a different part of the brain is really cool because now I might have an idea about why it was like that. The language part of my brain must have been too busy sleeping to contribute for the dream!

I will put a full answer to the thread scenario later. But here is a short answer: I used to speak very little, and it wasn't that bad. No speaking at all would be a whole other level, but I think I could manage something in one lifetime, as long as I'm not unlucky.

The problem is, would I even want to? :hmm:Avoiding one of the objectives completely would let me escape from the celestial for a long time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  16. TiggerBane

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean so long as you live to the age of 10 years then you are likely to hit the age of 65-70 assuming no major and massive plague comes about or rape, pillage, burn scenarios. Really in about 5 to 10 tries you will succeed at this especially since the being wants you to live out your life for a period of time so they are likely to guarantee that you are born which raises your survival likelihood massively.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  17. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How does marriage work in this world? Sleep under the same roof few times and you're married or such... or something more complex?
    How about magic? Do you need to be able to speak spells and such... ie. is magic inherently impossible for you?

And of course, in medieval world the life expectancy wasn't that great.. infant/child mortality was rather bad and I doubt there is much you can do to save your self if you get sick while you're an infant or... ie. every time you fail and are reborn, you may need to go through many tens/hundreds/thousands/... of very short lives before you get "lucky" again and live long enough to even try to do what this god wants...

18. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. How many lifetimes would it take for you to fulfill all three conditions without your voice?
    I don't want to underestimate the difficulty of this task, so I would give say over 1000 lifetimes. Also, I may reincarnate into an isekai universe where magical abilities or psionic abilities is the norm. I just need to think an image and create it through magical or psionic means to convey my message.
    2. How would you imagine your life if you are unable to communicate? How in the world would you marry someone or raise children? What about regular everyday affairs like working a job or shopping?
    My life would be harder, but body language and pictures will help alleviate some of the problems. Marriage can be pre-arranged and the task was making kids, not raising them, though I guess I'm pretty good at interacting with kids. Physical labor and artistry is probably the only way for a mute to work.
    3. Do you think you would ever find happiness with this kind of situation?
    Sure. Over 1000 lifetimes, I'm certain I will find something resembling happiness, though the probability of being unhappy for 1000 lifetimes is non-zero.
    4. What is your current opinion of the Celestial? Will the next scenario be better or worse?
    Wow, this celestial is really dedicated to me. Get a life or a hobby, Celestial! The next scenario is probably worse. I doubt the celestial is going to go easy on me after making me relive again and again.