[Poll] Would you watch your language around a senstive acquaintance?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Oct 5, 2019.

Tags:
?

Would you watch your language around a senstive acquaintance?

1. Yes - Always, because you never know who is sensitive regardless of who is present

28 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Yes - If I knew there was a single person present who would be upset

24 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Yes - If there were sensitive acquaintances present, but I don't care about strangers feelings

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Yes - If there were sensitive friends present, but I don't care about acquaintances feelings

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Yes - Because I want to look good to my friends

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Yes - Other reason

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. No - Because I have the right to say what I want and anything else is censorship

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. No - Because I wouldn't hang out with someone this sensitive

20 vote(s)
    14.8%
  9. No - Because this acquaitance needs to learn how to deal with it

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  10. No - Because the acquaintance should go somewhere else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. No - Because I don't think the acquaintaince is serious and she's being overdramatic

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. No - Because they're just being politically correct and nobody is actually hurt

7 vote(s)
    5.2%
  13. No - Because watching my language would kill at the fun

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  14. No - Other reason

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  15. I do not wish to answer

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. LuminaDawn

LuminaDawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I would try to be careful. I won't say that I don't swear when around friends, but my friends generally don't care so meh. And I don't really get heated so easily these days so it shouldn't be too difficult I think.

lychee likes this.
  2. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, I would ask for clarification - is this in fact a trigger, or is she merely a bit peeved by that language? If it's a trigger, I have no choice but to back off, no matter how much it might personally irk me. I will even go and ask her myself if A-kun doesn't know.
    If she's just sensitive, as in clutching her pearls... Well, screw her. She's not my gran.

Then I would find out whether it's just the word "bitch" or if it's all bad language. It's easy to avoid a word. It's a pain in the ass to have to cleanse my vocabulary for someone. I probably won't be able to manage it perfectly, since some people consider even "heck" or "hell" to be swearing.

As for muting my mic... Fuck A-kun. What a shitty friend. I refuse and, if he insists, I quit the team just to leave them one short. Yes, I'm petty.

3. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
  4. RabdomPersona

RabdomPersona Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly it depends who is around. I don’t mind people cursing (as long as they aren’t being trashy and cussing every other word) and most of my friends don’t care either. I myself don’t even curse in the first place so it doesn’t even matter whether I watch my words or not lol

5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what words I would say that would cause offence to someone since one of my fundamental principles is that my words should be generally clean, as what you say does reflect back on you as a person. Simply adding another word to the blacklist is pretty much second nature to me by this point since I grew up learning one by one different words that were impolite to say.

AliceShiki, iampsyx and lychee like this.
  6. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I would probably halfway watch my language.

Use expletives like "Jesus Christ", "God Dammit"
    I just realised all the moderate examples of explatives I could come up with were somehow related to religion. Other examples:
    "Oh my God"
    "What the Hell"
    "For Christ's sake"

Not sure how to feel about this...

Use more descriptive insults that are less "triggering", yet just as fun to say. Like strawmanning what the enemy might've been thinking when they did something stupid; using words a commentator might use, like "decimated", "annihilated", "obliterated"; using random over the top scientific terms that make no sense (this is just personally fun for me), like "he just turned into a probability wave".

I'd probably do my best to watch my language, but if a swear word slips in I'm not worrying that much. If I'm being honest, I'd probably also lightly make fun of her to the rest of my friends, as well as ask A-kun why she's like that/why he's friends with her

7. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. But most of the time, it's actually the tone of voice and the way the words are spoken that make me uneasy rather than the cursing or swearing — even if they use other phrases or start speaking in a language I don't understand, the meaning, aggression/hostility and tension in the air would still be there.

To be fair, I also get stressed out in the company of strangers or acquaintances who get so...excited and emotional about something (whether it might be in a concert, rally, meet-and-greet or just the local internet cafe).

Maybe also mention that the word is commonly used to make fun of, attack or just plain make someone upset, which is why some people might feel offended hearing it.

For my case I would imagine a scenario where I'm saying BL lingo out loud. If it makes someone feel uncomfortable or awkward, I'll apologize and try to figure out if there are certain words they dislike or if it's just BL in general. Even if it's the latter it's not like a couple of hours would hurt me.

8. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they're in a ship :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:

I know a lot of people who started playing certain games because their SO played.

Several people mentioned whether a genuine "trigger" was involved, and when I was originally constructing the scenario, my headcanon did have a specific trauma in mind.

Consequently, since it's a trigger, it should be a relatively random and specific thing that reminds them of the trauma.

Notably, it doesn't have to be an offensive word.

For instance, "Why so serious?" -- could potentially evoke traumatic batman/joker imagery even though there is no expletive involved.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  9. MrBugaw

MrBugaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The way I see it there are two issues bundled up in this question. The first has to do with my behavior in society, when face to face with people. The second issue has to do with freedom of speech.

Of course I police my language on my own around other poeple. If I was in a daycare I wouldn't swear up a blue streak, it would be teaching kids the wrong thing. It's just common decency to not be profane in public for no reason.

Now the more complicated thing is has to do with freedom of speech, which isn't even a thing everywhere in the world. Some places have bad consequences for some types of speech. So my stance on that is: if someone is infringing on my rights, trying to abrogate them, I would fight back to keep those rights intact.

10. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    well...i'm not insensitive enough to be rude...but if my words triggered acquaintance, i'll try to watch my language, but i prob will accidentally triggered the said person...cause i never swear, so the triggered words are, most possibly, words that i said generally

so i sometimes just kept a distance with the acquaintance, prob only said things that are necessary

AliceShiki and lychee like this.
  11. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with this 100%

Although, to me, it's also part of common decency to watch my language if someone tells me that something I said upset them.

For instance, if I made "your mother" jokes or "religion" jokes and someone told me it bothered them, then to me the decent thing to do is to stop making them as long as they are around. I don't really find any enjoyment or have a hobby out of making other people upset.

12. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, I don't care much about other people, I keep being polite because I like it

13. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's one thing that someone gets offended by mere language and politely asks me to tone down, then I can even apologize for it myself and try to watch out in the future for his/her sake...

...but it's a completely another issue if someone tries to guilt trip me for not being excessively polite all the time, for being myself, like A-kun does in that last example.

In the latter case, I simply won't play with them at all and they can find someone else to substitute me.

I have plenty of other ways to keep myself entertained... ways where I can keep my self-respect and not bow down to someone's one-sided judging.

I'm not nice enough for that; I feel belittled and offended, I leave just like A-kun's friend.

lychee and otaku31 like this.
  14. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, because I choose not to swear (still use casual talk akin to it that can offend though). That said, I also choose not to freak out if someone else does nor expect everyone to have the same respect for others. It would be nice if everyone did, but that's not going to happen.

15. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, what a nice thread to casually drop some swearing as an actual example that's relevant to it.

I hardly ever care for the game, but going ballistic on each other is part of the fun while I play a competitive game.
    So as a person who goes from
    You fucktarded piece of shit could you dodge at least one motherfucking missile or your additional chromosome prevents you from it?*
    To
    Nice kill, buddy
    In 0.1s

I would not.

I tend to unconsciously moderate female-specific insults when actually playing with a female, so there's that tho.

*It gets more creative in my language cause we have lotta words for "fu**" and I have more insults implying being mentally handicapped.

~~Edit
    Tho, leaving suddenly in the middle of the match was a dick(pussy?) move on her behalf.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    lychee likes this.
  16. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    too Sensitive for me just to get out of game cause of these Words. If just said once or twice then who cares? but if non-stop throws out such insults then better tell him to shut up and concentrate on the Game.

17. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Nai.

They will just have to deal with it. Ai-chan won't go out of Ai-chan's way to be extra politically correct when Ai-chan is having fun. If Ai-chan is committing war crimes while playing multiplayer games and the other player is being really physically offended by it, well tough luck.

Ai-chan regularly said 'cibai', 'fuck' and 'lancau' while playing games with other people.

18. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. But then again, if I played again with A-Kun and his friends, I would leave. Might as well play random matches.

AMissingLinguist and otaku31 like this.
  19. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If people are bothered by my language then that is their problem, not mine. FUCK these special snowflakes. As far Im concerned they can put their oversensitive ears, including their head, where the sun never shines. The fact that I have a rough idea which special monkey among special monkeys reacts this way only further fuels my dismissive attitude.

20. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, sure. I mean... I would watch my language as a courtesy to that person, because I know it upsets them. It’s not a big deal - like holding open a door or helping someone pick up something they drop. I don’t have to agree with their sensibilities to be considerate of them, and in this case it would cost me next to nothing. So.. yeah.

I will say that they’d “lose points” with me for having sensibilities that seem silly to me, so they may never become a friend to me, personally, or be someone I’d want to play with often... So there’s that. Ofc this isn’t a decisive character flaw - if they’re awesome otherwise and fun to hang out with, I’d accept it as a quirk. Whatever. No one’s perfect, they just have to be worth putting up with.