Discussion Reading VEEERY Long Novels, Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Huntress Artemis, Oct 6, 2019.

Tags:
?

Have you read a very long novel to the end?

1. Yes, I completed it and it was great!

2. Yes, but it got boring in the middle

3. Yes and I even read it again

4. No, I dropped reading it

5. No, I didn't even read a very long novel

6. No, the author/translator dropped it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Huntress Artemis

Huntress Artemis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there may have been a lot of people here who started reading the novels here from years ago but they are still not completely translated until now. Most of them are Chinese novels with thousands of chapters. Sometimes, they were dropped by the translators and it will take a little while to be picked up by another translator. Many were discontinued because the author themselves dropped it. There are also times when the long novels become boring and uninteresting to you once you've read a lot of chapters due to repetition and irony. However, even if you've experienced those novels, you are still willing to fall into the pit of another bottomless novel.

Is it worth it to read a very long novel with thousands of chapters?

Even if they will have to take years to be completed?

Do you have any recommended novel that will be worth it and will not stop being uninteresting even if you finished reading it?

KukiAme likes this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It is worth it if the novel is to your liking, everthing depends on your tastes after all and what someone might find good someone else might find bad, it is somewhat like that saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure"

Hmntlzn, MMWO, Blitz and 8 others like this.
  3. Sharudeis

Sharudeis Semi-narcoleptic

Reading List:
    Link
    And here enters the dao of MTL

Though I really won't recommend it.

4. KukiAme

KukiAme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is it worth it ? yes it is, as long it entertain me.
    not fully translated ? hey there lnmtl and comrademao!

5. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Is it worth...?"

Dunno, reading one few pages chapter a day is entertaining to you? If so, why not. If it gets dropped or boring, well... shit, can't be helped. Just brace yourself for it.

If you want a good long novel, you might just want to turn to published long western novels.

KukiAme likes this.
  6. Huntress Artemis

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, the problem is that I liked it a lot at first, but then it gets absurd in the middle. In the end, I just read it in a boring manner and I don't enjoy it anymore. It makes me feel that the time I read that novel wasn't worth it

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  7. Huntress Artemis

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I already did that and it is really not recommended because sometimes, strange words that are not related to the story will pop up and ruin the experience for me.
    That's why I started self-learning the language but I don't think that I've even learned 1% of the language. It gets complicated sometimes that I have to resort to getting help from some people and tools and MTL.

KukiAme likes this.
  8. Lynx

Lynx Professional...on lewd matter

Reading List:
    Link
    Not worth it, btw im not waiting most of the time, there's always google translate, and also there's always a special case that make you want to shoot your brain, like Bringing the Farm to another world, this thing make me annoyed with the never ending story

KukiAme likes this.
  9. Huntress Artemis

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like the western novels anymore. I've entirely fallen into the pit of Asian Novels. I've started out my reading journey in western novels and I'm never going back to that domain again... unless it's needed.

Is your experience in reading with MTL equal or any better than your experience in reading it already translated? There are some problems and exclusion of words when it comes to google translate though.

10. Cryarc

Cryarc 『Procrascinating Illustrator』

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you're completely bored and have way too much spare time, I'll say it's not worthy. Better read something shorter with more thoughts in it rather than novel with horrible amount of chapters that just repeat itself all the time.

Snowbun and _-Cosmos-_ like this.
  11. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever heard of the great novel Emperor's Domination? Then yes it is worth it even if the novel becomes trash later on but it is still a treasure at the start;)

Huntress Artemis likes this.
  12. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not about the destination, it's about the journey

MMWO likes this.
  13. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Strangely enough, I often hear this from my father. Usually after the line "We are lost ain't we?" from one of the young ones in the family.
    "Nope, I so meant to get here. Whereever here is..." :D

14. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why i read word hopping novels. Every arc is a mini world with their own story. Sure, there is some mysteries outside of these mini worlds, but it's usually Love™ so it's not really important to me. I can just pretend it ends on any arc with an open ending "and the adventure continues", doesn't really matter.

15. Siocbo

Siocbo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This exactly. It's not about whether the end is good or even if there is an end someday along the line. If you enjoy the first half, go ahead. It's definitely worth it.
    Should you get bored of it at some point, just get away from it. Every moment of entertainment you gained along the way isn't lost.
    And it should be fun to imagine the end of the story the way you wished it to be.

16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it worth it or Ai-chan? No. It doesn't matter if it's fun or crap, that's a significant portion of Ai-chan's life and time that will never come back. For that simple reason, Ai-chan doesn't read more of Bleach (beyond the Soul Society arc) and Ai-chan stopped reading One Piece.

Fiction is a pretty story to bring joy and inspire. Once you read it religiously, it becomes work. Some things are not meant to last forever.

L0pez likes this.
  17. ZachB

ZachB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have finished a lot of xianxia novels.Some were 1.5k chapters some almost 3k chapters. Its very fulfilling even though sometimes you want to quit midway when the story is getting repititive. Finishing a long novel is worth it unless the ending is not fulfilling.

18. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Well some Novels aren´t Worth , but many are. With so many Chapters (1000+) if there isnt repetition it would be strange. Some novels Only have 600-800 Chapters and repetition all 100-200 Chapters again. My guess just Read a Novel till a Big Arc is ovel (In many Cultivation Novels when MC Goes over to Higher World) and Mark that chapters und read another Novel.

19. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends? I have a hard time keeping invested in stories that are more than, say, 300 chapters long. I keep on dropping and picking up Cultivation Chat Group, and I think that’s the longest story I’ve read. I think Final Boss is No Joke is the other really long story I read, but I’ve been taking a break from that one for... several months now.

20. Hmntlzn

Hmntlzn 9th Mistress_❤

Reading List:
    Link
    I do finish a very long novel +1000 chap
    I dropped some of that very long novel