[Poll] Pick your character class

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Oct 6, 2019.

Tags:
?

Pick your character class

1. Barbarian

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Bard

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Cleric

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Druid

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Fighter

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Monk

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Paladin

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Ranger

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  9. Rogue

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. Sorcerer

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  11. Warlock

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Wizard

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  13. I do not wish to answer

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, what you called a wizard I'd usually associate with a mage instead.

Mainly because I associate Wizards with Witches, but... Well, Wizards aren't commonly used in the same sense as Witches tbh, so it varies a lot per story indeed~

Westeller likes this.
  2. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, hard choice due to you not knowing where you end up, nor how the system works, but with my basic understanding....

1. Ranger, Monk, Druid
    A. Ranger, because they tend to be portrayed as survivalists
    B. Monk, because they don't need weapons and/or armor, and are nimble/agile.
    C. Druid, because magic and food, though I don't know if the 'class' would impart knowledge of magic onto you, or give you capability to use said magic (Aka. Gives you knowledge/skills, or you have to learn/train in order to use it)

2. Uhh, whichever one has the best buffs/CC.
    3. Kinda, though I tend to try out all the classes.

3. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Druid(be one with nature and animals, survive in most biomes easily enough, always have food and drink.), Barbarian(I must RAGE!), Paladin(gimme the basic combat skill of a fighter with the basic ability to heal like a cleric)

2. most versatile would be druid for me, you can control nature and animals, this makes survival INFINITELY more likely. shoo off nasty critters, find edible plants and clean water.
    after druid is probably Warlock, hey man you can't beat starting with that 1d10 cantrip~
    The third most versatile is probably Fighter because they can become a weapons master and if there is magic could cover for his magical weaknesses with better mag-resist armor.

3. actually no, in games I choose either Pure magic or Pure combat prowess, occasionally in games that allow for true hybrids (I'm looking at you Dragons Dogma), I will do magic Archer.

lychee likes this.
  4. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    All the people who are worried about this are very right to do so!

While I did steal the DnD class types, I personally no almost nothing about DnD or most games. XD Consequently, if I were the respawning admin, I'd probably just dump people in a setting that I randomly made up with no knowledge of what the classes are like in most games. I think some people would be disappointed if the outcome wasn't what they expected.

There are a few important lines in the OP:

So basically assume nothing.

So there isn't one class that will objectively result in an outcome better than the others.

And if you're an ordinary average person, then at best you're just average.

I get the impression that the power level is very high in typical online games (or DnD roleplays), where the player gets to be the hero or a superpower wizard or something. This was specifically something I was not looking for.

I mean it's possible that the world you end up in will have a very high average power level, but personally I think it would be very scary if average people were walking around with nuclear-scale spells.

Consequently, I think it's important to moderate the class selection assuming that at best, you'll just be mediocre or average at best at whatever you do. Like, what if you were a baker or farmer or office worker? Normally you would really only expect the most amazing people to become mercenaries/adventurers/archmages/etc.

+ + +

For me personally, I think my top picks would be druid > cleric > monk.

Druid because I like nature, and I feel like even the low level druid abilities would be really nice and enjoyable to have.

Cleric because it's nice to help people.

Monk for a similar reason as cleric. It would be cool to refine your abilities solely on the basis of whatever your beliefs are.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    ikr? It really depends on where you end up, and how the system works

If the 'system' is similar to RL, and the 'classes' are just your talent, at learning 'skills', then some classes would be better in different situations. Like if you have to learn all your spells the 'hard' way (aka reading and experimenting), and they end up in the wilderness, they'd have to survive enough to be able to get to civilization first. It's the same with physical classes too, cuz most of us aren't trained for combat, nor have been in any. -- Eg. We might not know how to sense/manipulate/control/cast/etc mana/spells/etc
    -- The 'class' determining your talent is especially viable to 'modern' settings; say, you picked one of the magic classes, and it's just science/religion/medicine/etc, you'd be really disappointed, if you assumed you'll be able to use magic.

Or, if the system is like FFT, where you'd need equipment before you can use skills, and if you don't start with any, you'll have to find a way to get them, which won't be helpful if you're in a combat situation.

lychee likes this.
  6. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where is the character class- Asshole or Troll?

7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Barbarian
      Dumbass fighter with more muscle than brains. Usually prefers the act of smashing when something is too troublesome for them. Eats like a slob. Often presents nipples.
    2. Bard
      Very well mannered, very entertaining and very charming. You have to be careful when dealing with him because you can get pregnant from just talking to him, even if you're a dude.
    3. Cleric
      Servants of god or gods, and love to rub their superiority on others. It's like that douchebag prefect who think she's better than everyone.
    4. Druid
      Nudist tree-hugger hippies. They love being in the woods and they love communing with wood. They love wood so much they carry a piece of wood everywhere they go, even to sleep.
    5. Fighter
      The standard class that people use because they don't know what else to use. Proficient with swords and spears and not shy from fighting.
    6. Monk
      Basically a fighter who hates weapons. So they fight with bare hands. They do not bear arms, so they are quite friendly with bears. Legends say that a monk once befriended a bear before punching it in the neck and cooking it for dinner.
    7. Paladin
      This guy is something like a fighter, but more of a holy-type kind of person. They're so holy they prefer defense over attacks. But beware, some paladins are also fanatics and can call you a heretic just because you don't pray to the Emperor before meals. They sometimes have healing magics and preaches you to death before using it.
    8. Ranger
      They're like the druids, except they're less of a nudist and more of a stalker. They love following you around and will shoot you in the back if they feel like it. Sometimes they'll shoot you just because they are bored. Still, their main benefit is in pathfinding and scouting, because hell if you know how to walk these forests like them long-eared hippies.
    9. Rogue
      They're like bards, except much less charming and much more stabby. Sometimes they're described as having rogueish good looks but most of the time they're just described as "damned rogues!" They are not all bad, though. They are good with traps, pickpocketing, stealing, lockpicking, misplacing stuff and borrowing without asking. What it means is, they can also help you if you have any of those problems... for a price.
    10. *
      Sorcerer
      They're usually people with so much power, they can affect the world. They are most often descended from other creatures, such as dryads, gods, dragons, monsters and so on. This allows them to wield their ancestors powers as if they're their own ancestors! Now imagine doing your own ancestors!
    11. Warlock
      Warlocks are like wizards... oh, we haven't talked about wizards yet. Well, suffice to say, they are mages, who want nothing to do with being a mage. They will learn swords, and axes, or even bow and arrows despite being a mage because they really don't want to be a mage. So as a warlock, you can count on being a swordsman who fights primarily with magics, because you won't count as a mage if you hold a sword.
    12. Wizard
    13. Wizards are your typical mages. Powerful, staff-wielding magic users capable of bending the elements to their will. They're usually smart, very smart, and they rub it in your face every other day if they're trying to be nice. Normally, they'd rub their smartness in your face at least four times a day. Which is why they're usually loners, because nobody can handle that kind of harassment. So if you're a wizard, be prepared to live a very, very lonely life.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    AliceShiki and lychee like this.
  8. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    I would voluntarily pick 'Parasite' from Here.:p

9. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What the fuck? Please don't tell me people actually made their characters have sex while fighting to exploit the perks?

10. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
    You gotta understand. Times were different. We were young, and we needed the money.

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Regarding the power level thing, I don't know if it changed with the new editions, but back in the 3rd edition of D&D, player levels went from 1 to 20... You could kinda expect most campaigns to stay in the realm of 3-8, a high level campaign would reach level 12 or maybe even 15.

Level 20+ were basically living legends, the kind of people that could create cyclones at will and make your deepest wishes come true, or even call forth a miracle. Also the kind of people that could create a storm of acid rain that could probably wipe out a whole army by themselves.

What about the average person? Well, those were usually not expected to go over level 3 throughout their entire life.

lychee likes this.
  12. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The entire list up there is copy and pasted straight from DnD. Tolkien's wizards are bloody demi gods or archangels, depending on how you see it. The Istari are not mortal.

13. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Real dough?

14. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dual role Bard Druid for the convenience.

:p

Because taking off clothes is a pain every time.

lychee likes this.
  15. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I really had no idea that bards had such a sexy trope. XDD

I learn something every day!

16. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow I expected this from you... though I figured the wizard boys would be more the 40+ y/o virgins that studied in their mothers basement, and your interpretation of warlocks sounds more inspired by chunibyo then anything from myth or legends.

D&D is primarily played by groups of teenage virgin boys that had no hope of getting a girlfriend let alone between ones legs... Bards were one of their outlets... so yes, yes they subjected their gaming group to "roleplaying" their conquests of monster girls...

Eh, Tolkien was just the first author in a very long list that had a impact on the mythos of what we call Wizards.

AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  17. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't there like brothels they can enter? Oh... age restriction entry, right.

18. Guradu Gilgida

Guradu Gilgida 【Gentleman】【Tembikar Demon】

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Which class do you select to be reincarnated as? Why? Rank your top 3 picks~
    - Ranger, because it's an all-rounder class; jack of all trades. Safety first!
    - Druid, because I want to transform into animals. It's a childhood dream!
    - Warlock, because I want to make a contract with succubus and have some pafupafu.

2. Which classes do you feel are the most versatile?
    Versatile definition : able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities
    Ranger.

3. Is this the same class you would pick if you were playing a game?
    If it's game then I would pick extreme classes instead such as Barbarian, Wizard, Rogue, or Cleric. In game it's all about specialization.

19. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you clarify if the class is just a class or everything that goes with it?

For example, paladin is easily the best class. Why? Healers are always loved and you aren't weak enough that you need protection. BUT, if you have to do the whole religious thing and follow strict way of living and etc... well...

So is it just a class, or does everything that comes along with it count?

Druid is probably the most versatile, but again, does one have to become a tree humping hippy?

20. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s no information about this whatsoever.

Make your choice accounting for any possibility of the reincarnation god interpreting it in any way.

AliceShiki likes this.