Fiction writing is difficult

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Braxx, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Type for writing a story: avoid including an SJW nagging Flat-Earth mother-in-law who lives in a van down by the river with Seymour, a Chris Walken-sounding and silent film-watching vegan cannibal zombie moose.

ebonykun likes this.
  2. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Stay writing and keep consistent about it, an idea willl never become an art if it never manifest in physical form.

dhRPGamer likes this.
  3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Starting your first story is not about methodology. You shouldn't care about what all those accomplished authors say when you write your first story. It will just burden you. Many of these authors would give conflicting advice that will kill whatever motivation your have.

What you should do are:
    1) Sit at your desk
    2) Open your paper or computer
    3) Take a deep breath
    4) Write or type a short story

Why a short story? Because you are new. You should not be too ambitious. Writing short stories teach you to understand what is important as well as allowing you to learn pacing. Apart from that, you will most definitely lose interest halfway if you straight start with a novel.

Many people say amateur authors have no set planning and due to lack of planning, their stories suck. That's totally fine. You're not just an amateur, you're a beginner. So act like a beginner. Your work will suck and you should understand that you will suck. You will not create a good story in your first few attempts. It will be a long time before you can create a masterpiece. So don't even try.

Haters will likely criticize your work as immature, boring or illogical. That's fine. People like that are everywhere. What you can do, is to inform your readers that you are a beginner and that this is your first work. Will it stop people from reading your story? Yes, but those who do read your story will be more forgiving of your mistakes and may even help offer advice on how to be a better author.

Do what you can, with what you know, with what you can do. If you have a muse for chapter 29 when you haven't written chapter 1 yet, that's totally fine, just write chapter 29 first. Follow what your muse tell you, not the methods accomplished authors tell you to do. That comes way later. It will be a long road, and you will never make a masterpiece in your first year. Tolkien became celebrated only after his death and his son had to finish his stories for him.

4. nagatosaitou

nagatosaitou Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should better try to plan in detail your plot and world building. I am also writing my first novel but i don't so much struggle to write a chapter because I have already planned what to insert. For example, make a list of your mc's actions for the next three chapters and plan how he will react and what he/she will do. Try to visualize things in your head and write them somewhere. You should also plan how you want end your story and other big important events. For example, i've already planned my ending and some big other arcs along with my cultivation system and the secondary characters that have big influence on the story. All that i need now is only to plan minor details and direct the story towards the direction i want.

It can be seen as a waste of time because you aren't writing the real chapters, but trust me, you will find more easier to write your chapters. You don't have to plan words by words, just write some key words and events.

5. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seconding Ai Chan's short story suggestion. Writing Short Stories isn't really comparable to novels but you do learn a lot. And you can write short stories set in your universe, like backstories of villains or whoever interests you.

6. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Fiction writing vs mountain of technical papers, thesis and the like.

Writing, in general, is difficult. In my case, I got the hang of it coz I love reading and picked up English easily as SL.
    Back in my school days, my writing prof told me I was a structured writer and I never got the chance to ask her what she really meant. For me, fiction wirintg is difficult coz I want everything to be detailed even if sometimes, I derail my own story. I can make a full character profile but I cannot give you many details of plot development coz I'm so immersed in the details. That's why some of my personal short stories and other creative outlets is still pending for a decade now.

Writers have their own quirks. Me? I NEED to have a deadline, especially for fiction coz half the time, I aint gonna finish it.
    This is the reason why I like to support fiction writers coz there are in a place I really want and so far, I havent managed it to the level I want to be. I have some novels and stories that I have finished but that's only because my editor was breathing down my neck. Sometimes, I push people to push me to what I really need to do. The internet made it more difficult coz maybe I want to read a toon rather than finishing my damned story.

Fiction writing is difficult for writers who can manage it and even for those like me who like to have an assesed attempt every now and then.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019