Question Are there really that many M’s on NU?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Vanidor, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two questions.

A) I’m confused, how do you read a genre or anything until you hate it? Do that many like pain so much they can’t stop when they merely dislike it? If this applies can you explain why you did it?

B) If A applies to you, did you decide if you like or dislike hot peppers by grinding them into your eyes for 2 hours?

Just confused by all the threads I’ve seen hating western fiction, CN fiction, JP, harems, KR, webnovels and even NTR.

Why not get out early before the pain gets intense?

AliceShiki likes this.
  2. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    If i see something wrong i quit

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no M in NU...

Jokes aside, I won't read any genre I hate. If I do keep complaining about a genre I actually read, it only applies to those novels (and those specific tropes and/or their executions) of that particular genre that I hate and hv thus dropped, and not usually the ones I am currently reading. I repeat, I do not hate all novels of that genre.

kenar, checkm8, Rumby and 4 others like this.
  4. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    i always filtering my release list with tags or genres that i hate, so i wont torture myself

5. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    they're tsundere. they're actually loving it or at least care about it or they won't be wasting their time.

kenar, GDLiZy, AkunDami and 2 others like this.
  6. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it's kind of hard to meet my high expectations. If I look at tags and decide Nope, or read those terrible female protagonist Chinese novel summaries and decide nope...then I wouldn't be reading much at all now would I? Gotta go deeper and look at the reviews and spoilers...maybe even read a few chapters first. I've read novels I had to quit reading because it had everything I liked but put into such a way that I couldn't help but feel depressed. I've also read novels I couldn't help but love even when some of it grated on my personal values.

What can you do when you love the protagonists so much that when they do something wrong to you and are praised for it because the author willed it? Get angry and stop reading? No, accept it, feel bad about it, and move on because in the grand scheme of things...the only things that matter are what you enjoy more in the end.

So, in conclusion? It's complicated.

7. draw2much

draw2much Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm... Well, sometimes you give a genre a chance. It's possible that you had a bad first exposure and if you do a little more digging you'll find a gem. So you dig and dig, hoping to find something good. Then you realize you dug yourself into a deep pit that you'll struggle to climb out of. And for what? You found nothing at the bottom.

Tropes are different than genres. It's possible to hate a trope because of poor execution or by being unwillingly overexposed to it. In the second case, you've got people reading "around" the annoying trope to enjoy the overall story.

And you can straight up hate a trope while avoiding it like the plague. Because you hate it, you gleefully take every opportunity you can find to complain about it.

I don't know how someone can logically claim they've read enough of a country's fiction to know for sure they hate all of it.:sweating_profusely: Fiction is such a broad term after all...

mir, Rumby, Razort and 1 other person like this.
  8. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They probably were hoping that it gets better

mir and Vanidor like this.
  9. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I didn't realize i hate it. I added it to my reading list, and read it to the latest chapter like a daily quest. It was a daily routine I didn't bother to change. One day i read it and forgot to tick the latest chapter, then bing read another novel for a few days. When i come back & forgot till when i read it, i realized i don't want to re-read it. Not even a few chapter. I'm tired of this novel. So i stopped.
    2. I'm bad at identifying WHY I dislike a novel. Is it pacing, character, plot? I'm not sure, until I see the piles of dropped books and see the connection... Then i started dropping more books when i see that Thing on it.

Razort and Vanidor like this.
  10. Razort

Razort Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m of the same mind. Although I lurk most of the time and hadn’t even bothered making account for even longer time, I originally started reading webnovels and foreign webnovels back when we were first figuring out that Korean webtoons existed. Sure there have been people who experienced Chinese and Korean fiction even earlier but as time passed more and more people got into it.

Back when the Noblesse webtoon was first getting translated, it was the new and interesting thing people haven’t seen before. The main manga reading people got hooked and webtoons started getting popular and soon we discovered Japanese isekai and Chinese Wuxia. These were all new things and we as consumers crave the new “hip” thing. We devour and worship it and say we will love it forever. Then after a cult following the thing that interested us became too “mainstream” and we saw stuff getting produced, translated, and getting turned into pay content.

Nowadays we bag on the Heinz 57 isekai, the Ars Goetia of wuxia and xianxia, the ABCs of K Drama. The most horrible thing? People still like them.

Let’s face it, we are hipsters. I’m one of them and you’re one of them, but not everyone... Because I’m starved for originality, I’ve opened up to new things in my reading. I’ve started reading BL and GL, romance heavy novels, even going back to the things I used to hate and realizing that’s it’s not all bad, I just have to find what I think is interesting (for me personally as long as I get a few laughs it is enough for me, and cooking related stuff).

We shoot down ideas too quickly which is why I see so many scathing reviews of various stories on NU on stories I think are charming in their own way. These stories are not perfect, they’re not classic literature, and they certainly won’t become the next best thing in the English world since sliced bread right away. But we often shoot down a story the moment we see something we don’t like while we are reading. It’s easier to hate than to like, a basic fact of human nature since day 1.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that just because you don’t think it is good, doesn’t mean others won’t. And I just now realized how much I typed over this and feel like a self-absorbed jackass.

mir, kenar, Innieminnie and 3 others like this.
  11. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    All interesting replies thanks, entirely different than how I read so it's interesting to see how others do.

otaku31 likes this.
  12. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I've never really understood the deep hate in NU reviews either. I've only hated one series in my life and that was 30 years or something ago when I was much younger. For the most part I drop books all the time that I don't find interesting, so reading past that point until I get angry seems confusing. Sometimes I pick them up again if my mood changes. But slogging on to the point of pain is confusing.

Sabruness and Innieminnie like this.
  13. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Amen. It’s a case to case basis and what form of entertainment I would like from the material and if I am moody I might try something out of my usual. . Why the jackass quote though?

I don’t mind if someone drops a novel or a toon but they don’t get to say that everyone hates it. That may be a general sentiment but the material should always be there for someone who might want a go for it.

Vanidor likes this.
  14. Innieminnie

Reading List:
    Link
    My cousin literally just has to finish everything she reads, and so limits herself to reading only completed stories. I don't know how she does this, she's just compelled, even when the plot is dragging and she can't stand the characters. In fact, she finds everyone else weird for being able to drop a story (me) like it's nothing because they didn't like it. So yeah, there are all kinds out there lol.

mir, Snowbun, Razort and 1 other person like this.
  15. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That or they do not bother reading it in the first place, and complain just to complain and feel cool/better about their pathetic lives by marking something as lesser.

Vanidor likes this.
  16. Razort

Razort Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mind if I ask which ones she has read out of curiosity? I’ve only managed to find three fully finished that I’ve liked so far like Coiling Dragon, Stellar Transformations, and Hidden Marriage

Vanidor likes this.
  17. fuyuuri

fuyuuri 『 冬瓜 』『 ☀ and ☾ 』『 hibiscus 茶 tea 』

Reading List:
    Link
    A love-hate relationship maybe.

or even a guilty pleasure

Vanidor likes this.
  18. Innieminnie

Reading List:
    Link
    She's more of a fanfiction reader and not into light novels, sorry lol

Vanidor likes this.
  19. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm I'm a pure S, that aside, I quit once there's something I don't like, maybe I give it a few chapters more if it's not so bad, but if it's something I absolutely hate and there's really no characters I like that much, I quit immediately

Vanidor and Sabruness like this.
  20. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    this^

Vanidor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.