Discussion Better then "The Gamer" Solo Leveling/I Alone Level-Up

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Tsuru55, Jan 20, 2019.

?

You prefer

1. The Gamer

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Solo Leveling / I Alone Level-Up

36 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't you think somehow the novel is more interesting then grinding mage The Gamer ?

Sure maybe if they fought The Gamer would win thx to OP mage skills but i would still prefer to read the story of Solo Leveling (i prefer this title then the alternative, it's shorter and easier to remember).

Also when story is in an isekai world, most protags would go the mage route.

OP system despite disliking the fact it looks like MC is becoming colder and losing his emotions.
    No romance what a shame (but again it's hard to write a good one) but "The Gamer" also doesn't really have romance (yet?). I expected some but somehow the girl in gamer doesn't try to be more then friends and MC doesn't care, looking he wants to be a sage.

Solo leveling beside the nice fights in the manhwa it's also full of interesting plots. For exemple, MC gets a summoner class. WTF right ? i had the same reaction when i saw it. Thought he would reject but plot twist ! He gets a super uber op rare class of Shadow Lord = summons are shadows soldiers that can also hide in shadows.

Also the best part is the reaction of others seeing the protag of Solo leveling. In gamer it's boring because only his karate friend reacts. In fact the most funny thing i saw in gamer is when MC learns and uses the skill "Douchery" that freezes up people (didn't feel like searching again the skill name when he learned it to see if it's the same).
    Ah! And also when MC goes : "I am... your father..." (Star wars reference)

*Pant pant* I sure said a lot. And you ! You prefer The Gamer or Solo Leveling ?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    KIJIN likes this.
  2. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the ideas and premise of The Gamer since it had a lot of potential, but I enjoyed Solo Leveling/I Alone Level-Up a lot more because it was just a lot more fun and it feeds my chuunibyou more.

The Gamer’s plot and things just grew too big and complex. It also had a lot of potential, but it never went deeper into the premise or slow down. It also didn’t know how to pace or focus on one thing and built from it. I also felt that Solo Leveling/I Alone Level-Up knew how to focus on its strong points rather than spread out too wide. It also had better pacing and knew how to keep you attention through well timed, focused, and paced new arcs/power ups/settings etc.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    otaku31, KIJIN and Wujigege like this.
  3. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    the gamer is too long with no end in sight i had to stop at the beginning of season 3. the mc was going to kill for the first time but the best friend cousin stopped him. has the story/plot picked up or has the mc become as badass as that guy with the shades.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Corner Guy

Corner Guy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read and continue to read both. While I guess they seem similar, they are pretty different in terms of what styles/genres they focus. The Gamer is a comedy webtoon with darker undertones, while Solo Leveling seems to be the opposite, a relatively action-heavy comic that is relatively dark, with moments of levity. Basically, they are a very similar idea executed in opposite ways, with a random person becoming OP via a game like system. One is goofy and silly, with lots of jokes, but the real threat of death due to darker forces, the other is a hunter desperately trying to get strong to control his own life, while also having funny moments to make sure it doesn't become too serious.

TL: DR Overanalyzing two comics and saying a whole lot of nothing.

Vireyda likes this.
  5. bcahthekill

bcahthekill Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree if you say this in content manhwa, Solo Leveling far more interesting than The Gamer, but I think SL novel story quite classic/cliche like another korean novel with game element genre, yeah, SL have some twist but I can guess plot

6. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like The Gamer more, I stopped reading the Solo Leveling when he became the top of the world after the convention in US.
    The Gamer chapter is good specially the latest chapter were he combined the ability of his friend.
    Chunbo+Yunhon Taiji= OP
    but there are still a lot of stronger than them.

KIJIN likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Chunibyo Alert!! :blobpoliceangry:

ongoingwhy likes this.
  8. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    MC still the same as ever beside him being more and more op (he can fusion spells now).
    In an arc, he fights a OP sect that have it's members being able to share their powers making it a powerful enemy to MC.

9. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Cheater. You read the raws.

GDLiZy likes this.
  10. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    solo leveling is better cuz mc have edgy style with his double dagger and shadow kind of power lul
    DAMN SPOILER :blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry:

11. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    in solo leveling? or the gamer? xD
    not that Major spoiler, I'm sure you can guess already the future chapter of solo leveling.

12. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    but its still a spoiler

13. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm I liked reading them both

14. dam1433

dam1433 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stopped reading the gamer because of the poor translation. Trash me if you like but that's honestly the reason why I Stopped. -_-

15. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry there is nothing "WOW" lately. But i still think you should read it if you got nothing else to read.

16. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Both series are boring but at least the protagonist in I Alone Level Up doesn't grind the same dungeon over and over again for items just to make money.

17. dam1433

dam1433 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped on the chapter where He and Loli is looking for the World Tree or Yggdrassil I think. It was a few months a go so cant really recall much

18. kimchi fried rice

kimchi fried rice Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love that the protagonist of solo leveling is a necromancer

19. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
  20. nevz091

nevz091 Active Member

Reading List: