Only OG light novel readers will get this.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Walter vi Britannia, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who remembers the good ol' days where you'd wait for someone to post a PDF or ePUB of the light novels that were being translated online whenever a new chapter was released? Or is it just me?

They don't do it anymore. I don't know why we used to do it; fear that these illegal translations will be taken down any moment? Lack of a device to carry around outside that supports internet? It could be anything, but what I do know is that during the days of Baka-Tsuki, right after a new chapter was translated, some people would scramble to get them done in downloadable PDF or ePUB format and other people would wait for it in the comments sections till somebody posted it and everybody will thanks them like it's the most natural thing in the world. Nobody does this anymore.

Ahh, baka-tsuki...for some reason I really miss it. Not because of it's usefulness or funtionality or community...just, nostalgia I guess.

What happened? How did we get here? Anybody look back upon those days with fond memories?

2. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    ah those were the days.....baka-tsuki was all the rage back then.....it all started with SAO for me.....watched the anime then went for the books.....i was so surprised just 1 book was done in 12 episodes.....

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  3. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to just read things on Baka-tsuki. Didn’t really find a need to download until Chinese novels got popularised.

4. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to download them since I wanted to save them to be read later so that I don't forget about them before reading them. And also because of the reasons I mentioned a little bit too.

5. SinCity

SinCity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny thing is my first novel on baka tsuki was LMS, not a JP LN...

Blitz, Temujin, Jiggy and 2 others like this.
  6. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what it was for me. Maybe Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria? Or some other anime novel like Dansetsu no Yuusha no Dansetsu or Zero no Tsukaima? Read a lot of things back then, feels like ages ago.

Sabruness likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    really?
    what I remember waiting one vol to complete then scramble for pdf or epub~
    since one chap pop up around 3 month? while each vol may pop up within a year
    sure there seperate by chap on really slowpoke one or like hikaru
    then there also drama over translation thing such as ads or sonething

oh I think early WN have epub per chap or something
    oh btw baka used to link pdf or epub but shut down no?

mir and Walter vi Britannia like this.
  8. magecraft_unleashed

magecraft_unleashed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Baka-tsuki... I remember reading No Game No Life until that novel was licensed.

9. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    i made my own pdf via MS Word.....in university i would do this frequently and then read them at home on my pc....didnt have internet at home then.....

10. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol thought it was going to be college translations being traded at underground cons.

11. Tiken

Tiken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Addressing your question, yes, you're old.
    I mean, you probably used the BT app too right?

12. b1w2c3

b1w2c3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Baka tsuki, japtem, royalroadl when it was still lms. Those were good times

13. Atl92

Atl92 [God] [Devil] [Hero] [Monster]

Reading List:
    Link
    I got into the LN scene right around when Coiling Dragon was on Book 3 or so I believe. Oh boy that was a long time ago.

I do remember using Baka-Tsuki a lot back then tho.

Ah I remember now back in Early 2014 was when I started to read LN, WN etc. A few months before the WN for Shield Hero started to get translated.

14. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would anyone look on that period with fondness? That was the time when no one knew if the novel they were reading would be hit with a C&D the following day and leave us scrambling to find some source that hadn't been deleted yet. I sometimes break out the PDF and ebooks that I was able to get back then for the nostalgia value, but the annoyance at needing to collect them before they disappeared was pretty bad.

I got started reading on Baka-Tsuki back in 2012. Can't believe that it has been 7 years already. . .

15. NeoPhyRe

NeoPhyRe Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still use ePub files to read most novels. I don't have the time to read them after work, so I just get ePubs of novels and use Moonreader with text-to-speech to listen to it at work.

I think one reason you see fewer people upload such files is because of how much easier it is for people to make the files by themselves nowadays. There are addons that do it for you.

16. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually still check baka-tsuki now and then and read a chapter or two of some of the novels on there~

17. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    A ghost from the past returning to haunt our dreams!

18. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm? Not really. I didn't even realize there was an app for it. lol (Or I did know but just forgot cause I never planned on bothering with it when I learned about it in the past.)
    I probably didn't see how it would be of use to me who only uses his PC to go on the site and download the volumes and upload it to his phone. I probably just didn't see how it could be any different from going to the actual site. For a PC user, browsers are the most convenient instead of a program. (Nobody's gonna be using a facebook or tiktok or reddit program on their PC...just why?)

mir likes this.
  19. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I know. I shouldn't be looking back at it with fondness. Its a lot better now. I have no attachment to it's community or it's convenience or anything, I said this already. But for some reason remembering those difficult times kinda makes me feel warm and nostalgic. It's a weird feeling. Maybe it's not about what's better or worse, maybe it's just the memories and looking at it from a position that is much more improved from then makes you realize how insignificant it was, like looking at children arguing over a toy because to them that's the greatest worry and nothing else matters to them. They feel like it's the most important thing to them at that moment, but you know it's just an insignificant part of their lives that they're gonna either forget or look fondly upon in the future.

20. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh yes the good old Baka tsuki app, the only good thing that came out of my android phone back then