When clients ask you to do more than they paid for

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ai chan, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    So Ai-chan has this customer for document translation that complained that Ai-chan translated it the way it is and not embellish it with grand wording. He said his boss was upset because it wasn't what they were expecting, telling Ai-chan it was supposed to be used for a presentation.

But Ai-chan translated it in a way that makes sense. Ai-chan is a translator, not a copywriter. Ai-chan's work is to translate, not to make it great as a promotional piece. You hire a copywriter for that! It's not Ai-chan's fault that those people charge a fortune! Creativity doesn't come cheap! You paid for a translation, you get a translation!

Have you had similar problems? What do you think Ai-chan should do?

Wiger98, mir, Fulminata and 24 others like this.
  2. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thin Ai-chan would have to state that she was paid to translate since those people can't understand what they paid for

lykizan, mir, prongsjiisan and 9 others like this.
  3. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a job quotation or contract? Did they state the requirement that they want the translation to be embellished? If not, tell them you can do it but they have to pay extra for it. :cookie:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  4. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    I am working as a kindergarten teacher and sometimes the parents are late picking up the kids. I ask for more payment. They told me it's my responsibility to take care of their children as long as they are in the school. I told them back they only pay me to take care of their children from 7 am to 11.30 am.

One day one of them trying my patience and didn't pick up their children until 1 pm without any news to the school. I turn off my phone and bring their son home. Imagine the parents panic expression when they can't find their son at the school. Their scared expression kinda fuel me for a few days, lol.

5. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Here, you can get fined by the kindergartens if you're late to pick up your children. :blobneutral: Of course, you could refuse to pay but they won't let you send your children there any more. :cookie:

6. Pleasantly-plump

Pleasantly-plump Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A translation is a translation. They paid for what they got. Tell them to read the fine print.

lykizan, TokioftheBel, macy2 and 4 others like this.
  7. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, there's fine for that (and I never forget to ask the parents for it). But sometimes there are unbelievable parents that forgot to pick up their children. Nowadays I ask the parents for their whole family members phone numbers, so when I can't reach the parents, I phone the sisters, the aunts, the uncles, the grandma, or grandpa. Or in rare case when I can't reach any of them, I just left message "one of teacher bring your son/daughter home since you're so late and we have another job too" but I didn't tell which teacher, so I kinda have fun knowing they will check the teachers home one by one.

mir, Jeanette, TokioftheBel and 5 others like this.
  8. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh.... That I know. I been paid for working on production paper but because some office worker been to useless I been needed to do her work also. Hey!!! My paid been much lower then her!!
    Not only that, when I don't help, the executive will complain because I don't had teamwork spirit. But let me say this first!! When I ask that coworker to help me, her never help me!! More like will complain to the boss saying me don't do work.
    Not enough of that, that coworker typing speed...... Is slow. Hey guy, how long will you need to type of 1000 word? Believe me, her needed 1 day!!!! And that only needed for the word only. Other then that, the format, line formula, saving cost, frame and many other her ignore... And the boss saying it's not her fault. Then who fault my boss saying? It's all other coworker that not helping her. Also that coworker more like to do gossip and phone more that paperwork.

asriu, macy2, lohwengk and 1 other person like this.
  9. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    when the client pays for a blowjob but demands facefuck

I hate when it happens argh!

Pau, Jeanette, TokioftheBel and 16 others like this.
  10. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao such a bizarre example

11. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    been there done that, sometimes you gotta take some shit to get some money por... i mean food

Ai chan likes this.
  12. NeriaTL

NeriaTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Client's can complain all they want, but the contract states what was asked for.

It's like going to McDonalds and paying for a hamburger, then complaining why you didn't get a pizza.

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats:

14. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Second this. many clients want extra work but dont want the extra payment. I do what is instructed and if you want to revise, prepare your wallet for it. Revisions take time and time is money. and for God's sake, Ai-chan is not a mind-reader! or are you?

TokioftheBel, Ai chan and ongoingwhy like this.
  15. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what was established verbally before work commenced. If they stated that it be written in a more professional manner beforehand, then it should've been written so. It's not hard to write that way versus any other. That kind of thing is perfectly natural when services are being purchased, don't know why we're acting otherwise. All depends on what the customer states at the beginning. If nothing is specified, they have no room to complain.

Edit: This is the crux of the issue: A translation is a translation doesn't fly in this context. There are all kinds of ways to write as we're talking about here. If you hire someone to clean something, there are no types. It's either clean or not. That's not the case with a translation and who the translation might be meant for, though. But again, if nothing was verbally communicated, then that's no longer an issue.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    TokioftheBel, macy2 and ongoingwhy like this.
  16. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the work and circumstances. I can take shit if I am in shit. Can't complain when your stomach is the one complaining.

17. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. I end up turning the conversation to money and explaining how much the things they want me to do cost on the free market. And say if I could do it, I would be working a different profession in a different place.

That's the problem when you work with people in general. If they can pay you dirt cheap for a variety of expensive skills, they will. People agreeing to do it ruin the economy. So, always refuse and say it's not your job. Or if you can do it, ask for more money. The worst that can happen is you'll have to look for a new job, and they'll be missing a talent and looking for a new sucker that may do the job worse. Don't slave away for idiot bosses out of fear that you may not find a better job. But well, if you have to feed a family and you want security and can swallow down all the insults, then who am I to tell you what to do. My retirement plan is suicide if an apocalypse doesn't happen by then.

18. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder their existence. Nobody seems to read the most of the time.

Pleasantly-plump likes this.
  19. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how and what they ask. I have been a translator for shipping company for years. I practically wrote the book for their contracts and bylaws on trade deals. I had to get used to using significantly bigger words when writing English contracts, but later that would come back to bite me when I have to write them in several languages. I was made to rewrite and edit many times as words can leave loop holes in a contract not only did I have to edit I also had to give it several lawyers to try and find loopholes so that the meaning wasn't lost in translation.

I'm not allowed to say which company as I have signed an NDA

Yes Ai chan all translators feel your pain and it's worse when you are paid to make it wordy and pretty and all kinds of complicated.

20. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course it is you saying that any lol

asriu likes this.