Discussion Why are CN readers so bloodthirsty?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Minarett, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another instance is when the mc slaughters bandits because they are lawless yet he protects and assists another bandit group simply because the leader is a woman, or the usual mc that kills people for looking at him wrong but protects an assassin that tried to kill her because its a female.

mir and scribbledoutname like this.
  2. mystichead

mystichead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because most of the stories they read are bloodthirsty in a very brain dead way, that you can mostly enjoy if you turn off all your critical centers of your brain, and passively mass consuming them.

The thinking patterns of these stories become templates for how they approach and think somewhere in the back of their mind, and they end up applying the same over-simplistic "logic" to other works which have several more variables and patterns occurring in them that are strong, if not stronger, determinants

kenar and mir like this.
  3. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Logically if someone threatens your entire loved ones, you are not expected let them go

Nightow1 likes this.
  4. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    hahahahaha true! so fucking true!
    a lot of characters died because a fucking reservation at a restaurant

5. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you. Simply reading your post made my day and made me LOL hard! :blobjoy:

6. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Replace it with any generic "Duh, my face" moment and its still the same. Didn't get the shit he wanted at an auction? Kill them all!

kenar, mir and FranckOA like this.
  7. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it generally takes place in a more brutal, unfair society with very different outcomes for showing mercy. In Western stories, the enemy is often thankful that the MC didn't kill them or at least knows to stay away... but nine times out of ten the enemies in xianxia are complete scumbags who aren't going to be grateful that the MC let them go -- they'll just come back and keep trying with more numbers. The average enemy in xuanhuan is a crazy, arrogant murderous bastard backed by more crazy, arrogant murderous bastards who just come one after the other owing to their pride and / or loyalty to their organisation.

Also, remember that these stories aren't set in a modern world where you can just run to the police and these people will get locked away. So xianxia / xuanhuan readers get used to looking forward to the MC massacring (a) people who've got it coming or (b) people who're gonna cause problems later if they aren't killed. It's the same way that lots of readers wish Batman would just kill the Joker because you know he's getting out and you know he's going to murder more innocent people.

There are of course batshit crazy xuanhuan MCs (like early MGA Chu Feng) so if you're talking about those guys then I understand completely. It's just crazy to destroy someone's family/sect when the others haven't done and aren't planning to do anything to you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    kkgoh, Nightow1 and anhrefn like this.
  8. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link

I think it's a mixture of everything.

1. We have to be a critic when you spare someone who is actively trying to kill you and there is evidence that their families will too. Especially when this is a repeating occurrence of sparing someone and they come back to kill you.

2. It is also hard to not be a critic when for the slightest offenses, the MC kills someone and their entire family. So stupid. It's like, if we were that guy who made a bad remark, did we deserve to die? Did our families deserve to be wiped out?

Conclusion.
    The best CNs are often when neither of these scenarios is true.

kenar, mir, Feng Tian and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who stopped reading "those kind of novels", what I remember (and read from a few reviews as well) is, that chinese MC's in those settings are whimsical a**holes who fly into a rage whenever the author wants them to.

The problem is that they tend to lack consistency in their decisions. You want to be a bloody avenger, that's fine. Either I like it, or I'll stop reading. You want to be a f*cking beta who forgives everyone despite them not showing any remorse and it always coming back to bite you?Yeah, not gonna read that one, seriously why do people still trust you to protect them when all you do is saying "bad rapist, don't do let me catch you again" before leaving him in your daughters bedroom WITH YOUR DAUGHTER?
    You want to go the middle ground, killing if you have to, but sparing those who show that they can change? Now we're talking.

chinese MC's tend to just roll a die to see how they should react. Sometimes it's logical, sometimes it's just freaking stupid, and sometimes they react forgiving, because the offender is a (new) waifu they want to bang.

The problem is not, that they are "too bloody" or "not violent enough", it's that they simply lack the
    [​IMG]

mir likes this.
  10. daildaros

daildaros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You would too. Imagine reading a novel with an antagonist like a Team Rocket but they aren't just annoying but everytime they appeared, they kill your dog too.

BigBadBoi and scribbledoutname like this.
  11. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fact that ATG got 4 stars pains me deeply inside. It also hurts that CoS is nearing its end

Feng Tian likes this.
  12. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Your question is wrong

Xianxia, wuxia, etc are always set in a war ridden world, where there is no "universal human right", where strength and skills are worth more than being lawful.

it's pretty impossible to picture a cultivation world with democratic rules and liberal views as our world. imagine a cop trying to arrest a thief only to find out he's stronger than even the strongest official in gov, for sure the cop would just run rather than waste his life for useless justice.

now why the readers tend to be indifferent to genocide ?

If you take cultivation novels as a chemistry exam, you wouldn't give physics answers would you?, And your mind will be in the chemistry mode.

and the authors tend to overlook deaths by euphemising all atrocities. It's the same way a butcher house is seen normal and not a "murderous demon lorde with evil cultivators taking life's".

13. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Just so. I hope it doesn't go full MEN in the last hundred chaps.

BigBadBoi likes this.
  14. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped MoE for a while so I don't understand but it's probably bad and it will surely be because a hundred chapters aren't enough to end the story nicely

15. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    I am complaining about that all the time, but a lot of people like such MCs. Personally have no idea why...Maybe I am too old for that.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    kenar, mir and otaku31 like this.
  16. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    MEN went full retard post ch 600.

17. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you read chinese novels you become like chinese novels. Why do you think china these days is so authoritarian? From all the chinese novels they consumed. Airdrop some jp novels with beta MCs and theyll chill out

kenar and mir like this.
  18. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the amount of times someone has been let off just to only bring back someone stronger to 'avenge himself' in the fight they started, are too many to count.

19. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    The fun thing is MC and his comrades are usually the same ROFL

20. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    hm....
    from imperial age, there were tyrannical kings, who just beheaded, kill, hanged those who maybe only took glimpse of His Majesty face....there's that
    the Martial Arts world is no better...it was kill or be killed situation mostly
    almost the same as Cultivation world (era???) ...most of these opponents were not only humans, but immortals, demons, sacred beasts (or just beasts)

it's not that they wanna be bloody...but history and legends were not helping them either

to make things more interesting and dramatic (like how all story must be), they didn't even kill their opponent, they just make their opponent suffer as in 'don't wanna live anymore' situation... because death is easy but live is tragic....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.