Discussion Am I supposed to care?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Every once in a while a tragedy happens and some people get killed in accidents like fires or car crashes or sinking ships... It's all over the news repetedly and everyone is talking about it and being concerned.
    I know I lack empathy but... I don't know these people and accidents happen all the time, why should I care? So is it something wrong with me or are people overreacting?

GDLiZy and otaku31 like this.
  2. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    People don't want to get called unsympathetic because that will make them look bad,the least they must do is to show they are concerned.

3. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's normal? I am sure not all of people actually that sympathize with accident or others victim, but of course if their friends said 'how sad' they can't reply with 'I don't freaking care'.

For me personally, I don't really care if all the victims are adult, but I'll be more sympathetic if the victims are children. Working with children (and helping some with abusive adults around them) kinda makes me unsympathetic with adults nowadays.

otaku31 and Jojo775 like this.
  4. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need to care, because people react differently and have different priorities. You aren't insulting the victims families or the victim, you're just you in this situation. Be you, it's a free world when people die. There's no actual harm about not caring of some people's deaths, since you said your reason with other reasons to further solidify why you don't care. It's not wrong to be indifferent about death, you're just accepting the reality of what is happening or might be happening in the news. Indifference to others suffering does not mean you're not a decent citizen or proper human being. Don't be afraid to be indifferent unless it involves your personal space or doctrine. Nothing wrong with being honest with your feelings or thoughts about the situation. If you don't care, let someone else care, because it's a free world, yeah?

5. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    Human average life expectancy is less than 100 years, which lead to the corrollary of more than 1% of total population dying every year, so until there is a event that kills 5% of entire world population or 10% of a specific area population I DON'T CARE

6. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    i gave no quacks about terrorist attacks in europe.
    a chain car crash won't even show up in my vicinity of giving a damn

7. mingguiwen

mingguiwen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most people just logically agree that this is a bad / sad thing, but most of them dont really feel anything for the victims. Youre a fully functional human in this area

otaku31 and Jojo775 like this.
  8. felidormit

felidormit probably asleep.

Reading List:
    Link
    life is sad. humans are sad.
    then might as well add another sadness of not giving a fuck to them.

9. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Added on to the fact that media often sensationalized these things just to get views? Nope. We're on to them and know they're just out to use the event and us to make money. Every murdered victim must be some sort of potential Einstein who died early and pets cats and is kind to dogs. Right. And every criminal must be a child eating, goat raping racist fascist communist 1%er.

The media goes to extreme ends to make us care. For their profit.

10. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    if i could help, i would help...
    but i couldn't so i wouldn't