renegnade immortal becomes a generic powerup novel

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by letmeusefilter, Oct 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. letmeusefilter

letmeusefilter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    title

Feng Tian likes this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    *prepares coffins*

3. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you atleast explain why you think that?

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  4. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How is it generic?

You can say that how he levels up or how the story develops can repeat the same theme or archetype but it's not generic. You can argue how his development is repetitive, especially after he develops his rather cold/calculating personality... he deals with everyone or everything in a similar way.
    I would get that argument to a certain extent, we can argue on that but generic?

I guess you have no read enough to know what generic is, no?

5. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    Generic and Renegade Immortal are not to be put in the same sentence. Just not. All novels have their "grinding" phases and even Ri does, but this wouldn't mean that "Ri" as a whole is "becoming generic", if that was your reasoning.

I also second part of what brother @defry said above.

7. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    listen here you little shit. Your opinions are like farts, you're free to pass them around but no one likes the smell

8. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    *Helps @elengee in preparing the coffin*

Deleted member 38284 and nuubman like this.
  9. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RI being generic is not that outlandish of a statement. In fact I'd rather agree to this one than calling it oustanding. It's a fairly mediocre novel at best. Sure, its not the insult to chinese literature MGA is, but it isn't exactly anywhere near print quality either.

10. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it wasn't? ... could have fooled me (umm where's the eye roll button?)

11. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    If Ri is mediocre, then all Xianxias out there are absolute stinking trash. I just can't see why one would call it "Mediocre", unless they dropped it before chapter 50/100 that is.
    It has true Dao Comprhension, philosophy, deep moments, character developement and expansion, world building, its mind-boggling plot twists, and it's "mediocre"?

Your standards must be as high as Burj Khalifa man...

Deleted member 38284 and Atl92 like this.
  12. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read the author's novels, of course it is generic. What are you on about? It's from the same author, same expression & same person living his fantasy. What do you expect? Read other novels, 98% of authors write the same type of novel or express themselves similar to their past work. Rarely you see the difference.

Anyways, generic would usually refer compared to other novels or what is mainstream from other authors. It is relatively true that because of its genre, there are similarities but those similarities are there because they are part of a genre. Like music, rock songs similar to other rock songs, rap songs to other rap songs & etc.
    Over all, would you please be so kind to consider to use the word generic in a well defined manner & note not to devalue that actual word.

Edit: The point is, if you read too much of his work... of course you'd find it generic but no one would have standards to apply generic when comparing a author to himself. You can argue if it's the same story but that makes no sense.

13. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the most asinine way of starting a conversation.

I think this novel is X - end of conversation. What was the point of this post? You could have just updated your profile status, lmao.

The Empyrean and Nepuko like this.
  14. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    It is the author's first work and relatively one of the earliest Xianxias, but however you take it "generic" isn't really fitting for thsi novel at all. If you compare it to Er Gen's future works, of course ther'll be similarities in style, but each novel still stands out with it's plot, characters, etc.

And if it's generic via comparing it to most Xianxias, then....this absolutely..wrong. In the first place the novels that talks about Dao, expand on it and have Dao Comprehension are counted on 2 hands (and I'll still have spare fingers), so just via that side alone it cannot be called that.

Also, the OP should have at least made a post explaining his reasoning, starting a thread like this would just make it devolved into chaos. I can already see the pattern (that's already happeening btw)

OP : title
    Fans : courting death OP?
    Someone : well he isn't wrong, it's shit
    Others : Starts fervently debating

etc etc.

Edit : Got Ninja'd. As @Akemua said.

15. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought everyone had a love hate relationship with this novel? I seen IT being called 2nd worse.

16. Nepuko

Nepuko 『Ultimate Senior』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's generally this :
    -If you're the impatient type and drop this novel before chapter 100 (or say, 200 if I exagerate), you'd likely not like it and call it mediocre, etc, because you dropped it at literally the worst part.
    -If you keep going after 100, you'll see it becoming exponentially better, especially after the first "Mortal Arc", and you'd either like it, or love it.

If I had to give a "chapter chart" of Ri, it'll be this :
    ---
    0-100 decent
    100-150 gets better, good
    150-250 great
    250-500 amazing
    500- 1900+(current) the best goddamn xianxia you've read
    ---

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  17. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read a single novel and you have read em all, sure. And it is generic xianxia. What is so outstanding about RI? Compared to the rest of the Er Gen bulk? Nothing. To the rest of xianxia of moderate quality? Nothing. What does this translate to? Generic. And thats comparing it to a genre I consider to consist of 99% dumpsterfire. Compared to the upper levels of print it is straight up garbage.

I mercilessly dropped it around the 600 to 700 mark. I had given it that much time to achieve something that made it worth reading. It didn't. As all Xianxia there are entire arcs which are glorified filler that serve no narrative purpose. And it's not like it is alone among the Er Gen novels, or the 1k+ chapters works in this regard.

18. sadmanex

sadmanex [I'm popular too]

Reading List:
    Link
    explain why you think so

19. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Adding on to what others have mentioned you must remember that it's a daily release novel much like pretty much majority of webnovels.

Wujigege likes this.
  20. ehutch79

ehutch79 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    who wants to read 50 chapters of meh to get to anything good?