Non-Fic NUF Historical Society ~ History of NUF since 2015

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fuyuuri, Oct 10, 2019.

1. fuyuuri

fuyuuri 『 冬瓜 』『 ☀ and ☾ 』『 hibiscus 茶 tea 』

Reading List:
    Link
    @Ophious I found it

On 9 November 2015, @Das became @FlowingSong's NUF elder brother due to a profile post conversation about @FlowingSong looking for a long lost sibling with white hair (which coincidentally matched @Das's profile avatar). This was the first time that a NUF family relationship was formed between users on the forum.

Blitz, iampsyx, Arcturus and 3 others like this.
  2. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    So that was the first ever instance a family was created on NUF?
    Sweet~ Thanks for all your hard work @fuyuuri!

AliceShiki and fuyuuri like this.
  3. fuyuuri

Reading List:
    Link
    Open assignment for any historical society researchers and private investigators who are good at this kind of shipping thing~ @OnceandFutureLurker @Nyann

Can anyone fact-check my interpretation of this?

On 10 November, @FlowingSong and @Lachiel became NUF’s first official couple to be shipped in the The great Chip building of LachielxFlowingSong thread created by @Das (note: the typo is intentional). The ship had been developing unofficially for several days on profile posts prior to the official thread. @FlowingSong expressed support for the ship, but @Lachiel initially refused to give a straight answer and instead responded with a secret code. While the details are ambiguous and private, the thread officially resulted in a sunken ship after a few days of cryptic posts. However, a week after the conclusion of the thread, it is unclear if @FlowingSong and @Lachiel ultimately re-entered a ship.

This thread is pretty complicated and it's unclear to me if @Lachiel and @FlowingSong ultimately ended up in a ship. @Lachiel's profile wall is locked, so I'm unable to dig through that. There is a lot of mysterious posts early on @FlowingSong's profile that I'm not sure what to make of it.

Can @Das or @Potato confirm whether they ended up in a ship?

iampsyx likes this.
  4. Papi

Papi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats going on here... I was pinged

5. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This went from a history thread to a blackmailing thread pretty quickly blobmelt_thumbs

Ophious, AliceShiki, iampsyx and 2 others like this.
  6. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Most shipping threads are and were failures. To my knowledge, FS was never successfully shipped with anyone.

7. Hotato

Hotato Eternally Confused

Reading List:
    Link
    She could do it or anyone could do it. I don't have the time or motivation.

Nyann likes this.
  8. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    The guy on your avatar is cute

9. Hotato

Hotato Eternally Confused

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks and your avi is not my fav style of art

Blitz likes this.
  10. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I like this style of art for girls more blobmelt_thumbs

11. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, sorry but I don't have much free time to host anything...I don't mind helping out if it's just planning or setting things up though. :blobpats:

Nyann likes this.
  12. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    That will do as well! Lol I too am not that free but I think if there's ideas I have no problem creating a bunch of threads and pms :sushi_dead:

iampsyx likes this.
  13. fuyuuri

Reading List:
    Link
    Updated status of the November history... only halfway through the month

----

November
    At the start of November, @Lachiel and @JJ were unquestionably the most active members on NUF. Multiple threads joked about their frequent posts and activity on NU. This was the origin of the “Is Lachiel a human?” meme, which claimed that Lachiel was a bot.

On 1 November 2015, the Novel Pickup Request subforum was added after @Scrya made the suggestion. The first thread in this subforum was RED STORM (NOVEL) Translation? [Raws Provided] by @StaticHD.

On 4 November 2015, the first community game The Novel Writing Game was created by @Scrya. It is unclear when the Community Games subforum was added.

On 6 November 2015, @Tony added the trophy point for following @Satan. Multiple forum members cried conspiracy and swore never to become followers of Satan.

On the same day, the Hello Newbies! A Welcome Thread for You Reader! thread was created by @FlowingSong and pinned to the General Chat subforum. FlowingSong would later become immensely popular. She was notable for always using pink text in her posts and speaking in the third person.

The Novel Writing Game: The Dethrone of Satan (TNWG) was also created by @Zone Q11 on November 6th. This thread was notable for being the longest thread to exist on NUF at the time and generated over 500 replies in less than one week. It was the origin of multiple NUF memes including the “dethrone Satan”, “Astolfo”, and “Pinku” memes. It is mentioned in @Mousa4’s memoirs as the thread that suddenly caused an increase in activity on NUF (from ~10 users to 30-40 users online daily). He also credits it as the thread that launches @FlowingSong @brianf @Das and @LivingCorpse into the community. A summary of the thread compiled by @FlowingSong is available for reading.

Multiple different TNWG games would later be created during the month of November. None of the latter ones would reach the same degree of infamy as the original game.

On 7 November 2015, @Mrgameandwatch77 posted Help?, the first life advice thread in General Chat, regarding his first date. He would continue to post more similar threads a periodic basis throughout November.

On 8 November 2015, @qwerty was recognized as the first NUF member to spam likes. In particular, he was infamous for liking literally everything (note: the Like Limit did not exist at this time). In Mousa4’s memoirs, @qwerty was the original “Liker” on NUF.

On 9 November 2015, @Das became @FlowingSong’s NUF elder brother due to a profile post conversation about @FlowingSong looking for a long lost sibling with white hair (which coincidentally matched @Das’s profile avatar). This was the first time that a NUF family relationship was formed between users on the forum.

On the same day, the Describe the poster above you community game was created by @JJ. This community game would eventually survive many years and reach over 4000 posts. Additionally, the Community Creations subforum was created after the suggestion was made by @Lachiel. The first thread in this subforum was Lachiels Work In Progress things.. by @Lachiel.

On 10 November 2015, @JJ and @FlowingSong overtook @Lachiel on the Notable Members ranking by points. @FlowingSong also posted a thread on hijacking, thus initiating the NUF tradition of spamming threads with off-topic posts unless a “no offtopic” tag was added to the thread (later: “no hijack”). The initial hijackers were listed as @FlowingSong (leader), @Mrgameandwatch77 (famous hijacker), @Das, @JJ, @Animester, @Scrya, @canaria23, @AkeShiro, @LivingCorpse, @ouroboros, @fluffymigs, and @Sproutling.

On the same day, @FlowingSong and @Lachiel became NUF’s first official couple to be shipped in the The great Chip building of LachielxFlowingSong thread created by @Das (note: the typo is intentional). The ship had been developing unofficially for several days on profile posts prior to the official thread. @FlowingSong expressed support for the ship, but @Lachiel initially refused to give a straight answer and instead responded with a secret code. While the details are ambiguous and private, the thread officially resulted in a sunken ship after a few days of cryptic posts.

On 11 November 2015, the The Coffee (and Tea) Lounge was created by @LivingCorpse. This would later become an iconic location on NUF for off-topic chat and roleplay. It would remain continuously active for many years and collect over 11,000 posts.

On 12 November 2015, the first NUF fad occurred when @sal880612m posted the thread Anonymous Rainbow Rangers suggesting that NUF members use a question mark avatar of a certain color. Briefly, most of the notable members on NUF used a colored question mark avatar. Simultaneously, @Catacus posted a thread recruiting users to join a cult of masked men (notable members included @maskedcerf) — the earliest precursor to a sect on NUF.

On the same day, @FlowingSong overtook @Lachiel on all three metrics of the Notable Members leaderboard.

On 15 November 2015, @Tony created The Slap Game! Satan vs Kanye West. This game contained NUF’s first bot and can be interpreted as an early precursor for the later infamous Pinata Game. This was also @Tony’s first silly thread.

By mid-November, @Mrgameandwatch77 posted his fourth dating/love advice thread of the month. Each one was very popular, and the series ultimately solidified his reputation as a love guru. In @Mousa4’s memoirs, both @Mrgameandwatch77 and @FlowingSong are recognized as the original love experts. According to Mousa4, the love advice threads would draw even members to NUF, including @Linley @Ldyrdy and @AicilaXI.

On 16 November 2015, a zombie invasion fad was started by @Mrgameandwatch77. A thread summarizing current fads/groups/allegiances on NUF was also simultaneously created by @Mrgameandwatch77. The most popular groups at the time were the Thread Hijackers, Team Satan vs. Anti-Satan, Cult of Astolfo, and Team FS (FlowingSong) vs. Team Lachiel.

Notable Threads that exceed 100 posts:

Catacus, AliceShiki, Lurking and 6 others like this.
  14. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Bravo

Im always amazed at ur researching ability

Lurking, Bad Storm, fuyuuri and 4 others like this.
  15. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, I still never realized this was important.
    ...also, I never found out where that "other thread" was when I "fought" with Satan.
    --oh. Perhaps this one?

fuyuuri likes this.
  16. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. I haven't heard about Pinku stuff in almost 4 years. Dethroning Satan is pretty much a dead meme by now, and Astolfo... well it is alive, but it didn't originate from here AFAIK.

Arcturus and fuyuuri like this.
  17. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
  18. fuyuuri

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually could someone explain that meme?

I actually searched for it, and I think it’s an anime meme, but it doesn’t seem that well known? For some reason it really took grip on NUF — and a bunch of people were part of the “astolfo” group and would post randomly about astolfo — as well as having an arc in the dethrone Satan thread.

Was curious about how it became so popular

19. Way

Way Crimeless Raubritter

Reading List:
    Link
    Curses! I have been found! And will hereby be tried for my war crimes! However, there is one thing you never accounted for!
    deep breath
    GLORY TO BRASCOVIAAAAAAA

20. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Cat Boss〗〖Feeling the Effects of Aging〗

Reading List:
    Link
    it is my belief that weird people attract each other and that the weirder you are, the more weird people you attract
    we are interdependent and rely on each other to fulfill our common need to be weird
    we form symbiotic relationships with each other so that we can be weirder with more efficiency
    eventually, we'll evolve into a single organism and become one big gloop of weird :blobmelt:

Lurking, fuyuuri, mir and 2 others like this.