Question How open-minded should I be If I start reading CN novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ATrueStory, Oct 13, 2019.

?

How open-minded should I be If I start reading CN novels?

1. Try it! You'll like something.

2. No. Just No.

3. It is your duty to read CN novels.

4. Try and bleach your brain afterward.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I am Asian and I haven't read many CN novels. It's not a requirement but I have found recent discussions about CN novels make me want to try them. I am mostly going for Korean or Japanese titles because of the drawing style and I found CN titles to be lackluster. In addition, I hear a ton of complaints about CN novels. I usually pin it on East vs Western mentality but there are some themes are makes me go bored rather than it a more extreme reaction.

So, is this genre worth trying or should I just stick to the KR and Jap ones?

2. lolilolinepu

lolilolinepu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you should give it a go. when i first started to read cn novels, i reli liked it and could handle the arrogant young masters and trash talk

Bloodysin28 and Reak like this.
  3. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're fine with bloodthirsty harem seeking protagonist then yes go for it.

firefox1234 and Jojo775 like this.
  4. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on which ones you choose. some are great. some are not

imK, firefox1234, Blitz and 4 others like this.
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Expand your horizons (a million miles is just a no.), learn about hapless arrogant young masters and stony jade beauties, try a dose of face-slapping, discover how entire sects/clans are exterminated, experience impulsiveness and hypocrisy at their finest, and wonder why so many are out to pierce/break the heavens.

P.S. I advise asking for recommendations based on your preferences; don't just randomly dive in or you might end up scarred.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  6. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to really like them when I first read them but over time I grew to almost loathe them.

If you don't mind racism and China Number 1/arrogant young masters and such with a lot of filler word count in a lot of novels then you'll like it.

Long comment short: Try it to see if you like it.

lovelle, imK, firefox1234 and 3 others like this.
  7. Fictionaddiction

Fictionaddiction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're good but they get repetitive fast and many people just copy the same plot, so much that transmigration is actually a genre now. plus they could get suuuuuuper long lie 3000 chapters. But they're addictive if you like them, you always seek to relive the same feeling again even when you know you've read something similar before.

lovelle, lolopolo, imK and 4 others like this.
  8. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    The drought has caused alot of CN novels to not catch my interest but there is a lot of good shit out there like Reverend Insanity, Ze Tian Ji, Raising A Fox Spirit in my Home, and etc.

Try some stuff then bleach your eyes.

ATrueStory likes this.
  9. Karumin

Karumin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on your tastes but there are a really good ones! I really looove some cn novels, though I was very confused on the first one lol. As I'm more used to Korean and Japanese honorifics, it was expected to happen~ ฅ(≚ᄌ≚) but that was only at first ( o˘◡˘o)

If you're unsure you could see the rating (though some times that's not that reliable) or the reviews.

imK and Matteus like this.
  10. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, CN novels is not just xianxia and young masters. Lord of the mysteries is an amazing example, RTW is another great novel. Just avoid 'arrogant characters', 'racism', 'nationalism', 'rape victim becomes lover' and 'hot-blooded protagonist' and you're gonna be fine.

imK, Fate81, Fulademonen and 3 others like this.
  11. foodflare

foodflare Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As with any country of origin for the story there will be good and bad. There'll be tropes and copycats. Genres and stand out singular stories. So, I don't think you should avoid a country of origin purely because of its origin, but you should definitely take into account aspects to maintain expectations.

Some of these aspects include:
    There are a lot of people in China, so even though there's roughly the same ratio of good to bad stories, there's a lot more volume to look through when searching for said good stories.
    They get paid by word count, so there is a LOT of repeat/filler content that doesn't provide much for the stories.
    There are indeed some cultural tendencies that show up and affect the stories(this is true in most cultures, but I think due to some legal and cultural states of China currently it's especially noticable)
    And there's probably more I'm not thinking of or just think of subconsciously when choosing stories that I didn't outline here.

12. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's formulaic and full of cliches. And the main problem with CN novels is that they have a lot of filler words. It's because they have a word count target for each chapter. It's the fastfood of webnovels.
    If you are not too picky with quality, don't mind if it gets repetitive after a while, and you just want something to binge read, then you'll probably enjoy it.

13. Matteus

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

FIEND, Fate81, Fulminata and 5 others like this.
  14. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    I would not turn off the whole set of novels just because many are sub par, there is gold among the sand you just got to find it which is honestly the hardest part.

imK, NovelsAreLife and GDLiZy like this.
  15. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite a few Chinese novels have a lot of padding. A LOT OF PADDING! The writer will explain the cultivation system in EVERY chapter. Sometimes, more than once in a chapter. Every realm laid out, every step within each realm, what point the MC is in, what point the MC needs to be for their next fight. Every chapter. For hundreds of chapters.

16. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read only the trast one because if you read the gems then you can't find the will to enjoy the trash one anymore. :blobpats:

I rec Warlock of the Magus World, Reverend Insanity, Silent Crown, Renegade Immortal, The Ultimate Evolution, History Numer 1 Founder. These are the example of the great CN I enjoyed.

If you are in for a great time, Grandmaster Strategist, Apartment For Rent, and A Deadly Secret. These are actual printed novels so the quality is guaranteed.

ATrueStory likes this.
  17. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on the setting of the novels as well, u need to be able to resist boredom from repeated plot lines

if it is set on present day and/or futuristic sci-fi, u may find some exaggerated nationalism to some questionable accusation (ex. japan is 'copycat' country)
    if it was set on fantasy / xianxia / wuxia, expect the mc is a thug/gangster with 'better' name, typically your sword / fist is right

if the MC is female, expect her to be either doctor/assassin and the male lead are some powerful (as in personally powerful/feared) guy that has S tendencies

anything that subvert one or more of the pattern is generally good read, just out of sheer number of similar plots

ATrueStory, Jojo775 and GDLiZy like this.
  18. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    it's like food. . . .
    you'll have cheap, a bit filling, too strong or bland taste, and greasy. . .

19. Matteus

Reading List:
    Link
    ** Getting to X realm of cultivation is just the beginning of the martial arts, only after getting to the X realm can one call himself a cultivator **

Jojo775 and Sabruness like this.
  20. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    open your mind, take out your brain then you may read comfortably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.