Feature Request "Caught up to RAW" Option on the 'Completely translated' section on project pages

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by KuroInfinity, Oct 10, 2019.

1. KuroInfinity

KuroInfinity [Decipherer of Texts] [She Who Shall Not Be Named]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just recently caught up to the raws for one of my projects, so I want to mark it as 'completely translated' since it is. But doing so implies that the story itself is completed, which it isn't. Since the original source is still ongoing.

I'm requesting a third option under the 'completely translated' section other than the standard 'yes' and 'no' for series that have caught up with the original source, but are still ongoing. It would also help drive traffic towards these projects for the people looking for the next-best thing to projects that are completely translated and completed.

"Caught up to original source" or "Caught up to RAWs" etc. Something along those lines.

lighterxx, BabaNovac, nachte and 7 others like this.
  2. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm about to catch up on the raw source of my project too and was also wondering about this. It would be a nice option.

3. sleepingloli

sleepingloli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if NU has an automated way to track remote releases, which I don't think it has.

I see this feature only as something unstable that only adds metadata noise and unnecessarily increases moderation workload.

Case 1:
    1. Marked as "caught up to original source".
    2. Original source releases a new chapter.
    3. Suddenly it's incorrectly marked. Unless you consider being 30 days behind the original source as being "caught up", then you can only hope somebody fixes it after those 30 days if the previous translator didn't release a chapter (e.g. because RL stuff or hiatus or dropped).
    Case 2:
    1. Translator only translates main story, ignoring side chapters.
    2. Translator has translated the latest main chapter.
    3. How should this be tagged?
    Case 3:
    1. New novel with only one chapter.
    2. Translator picks up that first-and-only chapter. Since 1 of 1 chapters are translated, it's considered caught up.
    3. Original source releases new chapter.
    4. The translator only did it as a teaser, so they won't translate anymore.
    5. Suddenly the novel is incorrectly marked (unless somebody else picks this up).
    Case 4:
    1. Only novels with a minimum amount of releases can be tagged as such.
    2. Novel with less than that amount is caught up to the original source, but can't be tagged as such.
    3. Now you're being inconsistent and lying and introducing redundant features because if users wanted a minimum amount of chapters, they could just use the filters.

4. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    + 1 to this, it would be really useful, there is a huge difference between completely translated and caught up with raws