Chinese glorification in CN novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by An Anime Addict, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's their story, they are legally within their rights (if they own the rights) to nationalize their country. As far it being morally justified, that is another story.

2. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    The novels are, first and foremost, meant for a Chinese readership. Then when you consider the general population is controlled by the government in things like the One (now two) Child Policy or propagandized nationalism, it's integrated into them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be very honest, the most cringe worth propaganda I've ever seen involves someone dressed up in red, white and blue spandex with padding and running around with a plastic shield with a white star on top. At least the Chinese have not devolved down to that stage. lol.

I pity anyone who has to wear that and run around in public.
    [​IMG]

And people were complaining about Batman's NIPPLES. lol.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    CyberCypher and GDLiZy like this.
  4. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been summoned. Behold my greatness. But fear not, for all greatness I exude is merely prestige... Prestige of the Glory of China!

mir and Defiring like this.
  5. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    .... if you are a human being, what you exude is often stools and urine. I really hope those are not the glory of China. lol.

mir and senhyou like this.
  6. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Intransitive verb: to exhibit in abundance. Back to the slave pits with you, how dare you attempt to defile the majesty of China's Glory!

mir likes this.
  7. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm.... still fits. :ROFLMAO:

mir likes this.
  8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not the '60s any more so you'll find that most Chinese people are fully aware that there are countries out there with better living standards and more power than China. Most of the writers out there will reflect this and have good perspective in their writing. However, there are also a lot of Chinese chauvinists out there and they will churn out garbage. You'll find similar writers from other countries, but the Chinese ones can be pretty grating.

mir likes this.
  9. Dwarkin

Dwarkin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's same everywhere. It's like how some people I met thought US had won Vietnam and singlehandedly defeated Nazi

mir and GDLiZy like this.
  10. BrinkPress

BrinkPress New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I almost thought that you were quoting from some novel you found. That's some good food for thought, eloquent and to the damn point.

mir likes this.
  11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Since when is everyone forgiving western patriotism?, I see people complaining about that more often then I see people complain about anything related to china.
    It just doesn't pop up explicitly as much on here because the site isn't about western stories.

mir likes this.
  12. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    I can imagine, that someday in the further, some alien dudes got offended by some earthlings writing stories about how great earth is.

13. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Judging people by their completely imaginary fantasy novel.10/10 would listen to your non-rants

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  14. Sunspawn

Sunspawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I heard about chinese public toilets, stools and urine is in fact the glory of China.

On topic - the difference between the blatant nationalism/patriotism in CN novels along with a great deal of the amateur JP novels and western writing is how blatant and in-your-face the former are. For example, John Ringo has a massive nationalism-on for Murica and, for the most part, contempt for Europe, but he usually at least covers it all up in a (rather thin) layer of gore and dakka (there is usually more gore and dakka around and beneath and nationalism). And he is one of the most egregious nationalists I read among American writers. And even he has the deeper message of "politicians bad", where Europeans are just more susceptible to bad politicians than Americans for whatever reason.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    mir, kenar, An Anime Addict and 2 others like this.
  15. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I'd say odds are about even on both sides, I've seen some really far out ones from Japan too, like that Nihon world transfer one. Not to mention "only Japanese bathe".

As for America, I think Tom Clancy has picked a fight with every major power on the planet lol. If that actually happened in real life, the US would have long been expelled from the UN security council for fighting with everyone. :ROFLMAO:

mir likes this.
  16. Sunspawn

Sunspawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I grouped the CN and JP novels together, not differentiated them. Just forgot to set the other side (western writers).

The US picked a fight with practically every force that Tom wrote about actually.

Nightow1 likes this.
  17. A s h e s

A s h e s God of Mischief and Annoyance

Reading List:
    Link
    Found the racist

Tom Clancy loves to pick fights

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019
  18. Relhak

Relhak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My personal belief is that it's due to the heavy censoring in China. If the author throws in some nationalistic circlejerk, sprinkled with a bit of patriotism, hate against Japan, and superiority over South Korea, then the author would have a little more freedom to write about some juicy boobs, and whatnot.

19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is untrue. If you run afoul of the censors, you're screwed regardless of how much kissing up you do. If you see Chinese chauvanism in novels you can be assured that it's what the writer believes in.

20. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Modesty is still a big thing in Asia, especially those who still have a conservative bent .Wear a see through with a lacy bra and people will say you're asking for it.
    Case in point: https://www.bustle.com/articles/583...awkwardly-editing-the-empress-of-china-photos
    And this was the response: https://variety.com/2015/tv/asia/ch...ts-were-cut-from-period-drama-1201411719/amp/
    And this was a soap made by one of most popular Chinese actresses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.