Question How open-minded should I be If I start reading CN novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ATrueStory, Oct 13, 2019.

?

How open-minded should I be If I start reading CN novels?

1. Try it! You'll like something.

2. No. Just No.

3. It is your duty to read CN novels.

4. Try and bleach your brain afterward.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilhan1104

ilhan1104 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like the experimental log of the crazy lich.... One of the Chinese novel that I still read now....

2. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like Japanese Shounen, then you'll like Xianxias. Either choose between

I shall seal the Heavens (ISSTH)
    Martial God Asura (MGA)
    Against the Gods (ATG)

for a start, this is Xianxia for dummies right here. The plot is not that good for 2 out of 3, but this will make you easily acclimate to the CN lores and pursuit of immortality.

3. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    A good story is a good story. A trash story is a trash story. Be open minded. Similar to how some KR/JP novels are good but some are terrible. Some are unique, some follows similar tropes, some are repetetive, some are too long.

Sabruness and GDLiZy like this.
  4. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yes. Warlock of Magus World. I enjoyed it mostly because Leylin is not a hypocrite. He is a cold hearted cunt that only acts for his own benefits, but he always admit it and never pretend to be a good guy.

5. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You named one mediocre novel (admittely one of the better xianxia ones but eh) and 2 trash novels that are so bad rating them 1 out of 5 is an insult to chinese literature. MGA is a -5/5, ATG is a -4. ISSTH is a 2.

Sabruness likes this.
  6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read Korean novels, but in general, Chinese web novels are vastly better written than their Japanese counterparts. The reason is that Chinese web novels come in all types of flavors and subjects, and there are quite a few young writers who model their works on good books whereas Japanese writers don't really do that.

On the other hand, I've also seen a lot of complaints about Chinese novels and I have a hard time relating to them. They seem to only apply to xianxia novels and I don't really read the genre. So my advice is pretty simple: go ahead and read Chinese books. Just avoid xianxia if you're worried about the criticisms. There are a ton of great non-xianxia novels out there you shouldn't have too many problems finding something good.

ATrueStory and kkgoh like this.
  7. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say read about 1000 chapters of them, total (some here, some there...). After that point, they all look the same. Afterwards, you'll lose interest since you'll discover that, not only do your favorite characters get little screentime due to all the padding, you can predict a story's contents based on the title.

8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    You should be very open minded. Racism, distasteful rape and braindead characters are quite common with popular titles you see on NU. If you read shianshia, you should also stop your brain activity. Don't have any expectation, stop thinking and you should be fine.

This advice is for titles you see on NU. There are plenty of good Chinese titles traditionally published that are quite good. But then again, that's the same everywhere, just like how Wattpad stories suck but English novels can be good.

Sabruness likes this.
  9. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OP never read a CN novel before. The good ones barely mention cultivation levels nor explain how they work. I doubt OP would be able to appreciate anything when he doesn't know squat about CN mythologies and lores.

10. Deleted member 199531

Deleted member 199531 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    So, from the comments above, you either like CN or you don't.

11. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the question is:
    YOU DARE?

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    just choice your genre and thats all

I read broad genre so my opinion toward wn, well on same genre it miss and hit thing
    if you typical who read just certain type of story then good luck imo Jp, Cn and Kr wn reach bottleneck

bored.png

13. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's free!! o_O Why's that even a question?
    You're not paying for anything besides time and data privacy.

Just go straight in, furi exposed, safety's off.
    [​IMG]

14. Nightenviel

Nightenviel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My first Chinese novel was Against the Gods which was ranked #1 back then with a background of only novels 2 of which are JP WN/LN Mushoku Tensei then Overlord. Loved it but i also think i've been tainted by it since it just increased my desires for dark stories. Depends on what kind of person you are OP- Though In the end it's all just fantasy so try and look for ones that might suit you.

Personally i recommend Cultivation Chat Group if you want to leave with your wits intact. But if you want to fully immersify yourself in a world of cultivation then i recommend a novel with very good translations and one that doesn't skim over the details of the terrain and the environment. Cleanest one i can think of is "I Shall Seal the Heavens" or "A Will Eternal" made by the same author.

Of course there are also good non-cultivation CN novels such as "Release that Witch" which is also equally amazing.

Good luck OP and make sure to bring bleach.

15. Abkusumaa

Abkusumaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can read anything you want but, i have some concerns about CN Novels especially modern novels. Well, modern novels, especially CEOs-themed novels have become my nightmare as most of the storyline is similiar to each other. It usually begins with the FL' unluckiness then meet with perfect ML (usually CEO). The ML is perfect in every aspects except his low EQ. Moreover, in that type of story, white lotus (third party/mistress) and brain dead characters are usually presented. Moreover, most of them have a good start but end up with nonsensical twist that make me want to smack the head of the writer. After reading CN novels with such story, i subconsciously wary of CN modern novel

On the other side, the growth of the characters are mostly well presented although the writers seem to justify everything so the characters will end up together.

While for xinxia and others, i quiet enjoy it. It's fun and interesting.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  16. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, I don't like modern romance. Safe to say I won't be plugging into those.

Thanks for the tip. Will buying buckloads of mental bleach

I really dislike harem since they are a ton of characters who get screentime and I don't have a single interest in them. I think I will go with a female protag. It's less bad than a male one.
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    I'm dead.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  17. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, Ai-chan1 Thanks for the tip. In my view, Wattpad don't exist. Only FF.net and A)3

Ai chan and Sabruness like this.
  18. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously? I need bleach for that!

kkgoh likes this.
  19. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    be careful even with historical/cultivation/etc female lead novels. 80% chance you'll hit a novel with a brooding, ice cold, EQ less, domineering psycho with no sense of boundaries and an inclination towards dubcon/non-con relations. Even if it's a supposedly "strong/OP female lead" novel.

20. fuuton

fuuton Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try a popular one and of you dont like it ...well you dont like it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.