Non-Fic NUF Historical Society ~ History of NUF since 2015

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fuyuuri, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, so thats why i fit in so well here in NUF!

2. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Old Lady ♡〗〖High Acidity ♡〗〖Lethal ♡〗

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco:

Tilgarial likes this.
  3. Tilgarial

Reading List:
    Link
    Hivemimd weirdness ftw!

Lemonfairy likes this.
  4. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobjoy: spoken like a true weirdo 461.png

5. Lemonfairy

Reading List:
    Link
    ő̴̡̯͈̠̆͐̽̓n̷̦̬͜͝e̵͔̤͑̈́́̅ ̶̪̘͐̈́̈́̄ͅǒ̴̬͈f̸̼̟̍̇̉̿ ̶̛̫̘̰̎̈̉͛͜ȗ̴̦͍͔̳̐̑͠s̴̵͈̥͕̘͛͝
    o̵̮̲̓́̔͋ṋ̶̑͒e̵͖̠̘͋ ̴̨̥̺̘̏̊̎͘o̴̧̙͉͒̇͝f̷̧̛͈͔̟̃͌̔ͅ ̸̘̼̋̏u̴͖̿͂̚ś̵̢͖̪̠͈̃̏͋
    ̴͚́o̴͓̻̹̾̽ṉ̶̥̈͛͜͝ͅe̸̟̟͖͔͋͌̐ ̶̘̝̒̂̀͌ȍ̷̮̹͖̩̉̎̈f̷̛̛̗͓̮̞͕̋̂ ̵̮̖̠͍̈́͑̉̔ū̵̦͕ş̸̟̜͚͔̾͌̋
    ̷̯̻̭̰̄̈́ͅȍ̷̧͎̦̙̚̕n̴̛̦̲̈́̔̊̚ē̵̱̿̋͝ ̴̹̦̖̆̿ô̵̥̍̚͠f̷̧̗͌̅̈́̓̎ ̶̪̙̊ú̷̫̟̼̋̀̀s̷̝͂̽̍́̍
    ̶̢͕͍͎̉̒ȏ̷͇̮̝n̷͓̟͙̩̫̓̍̒̊e̸̡̠̹̅͠ ̵̰͕͆̔͗̔̑ò̸̻̗f̷̮͋̄ ̷͙̳̣̼́͋̐͗͒ȕ̴̱͐̅͋ṡ̸̝̮̿̅̔̀
    ̷̢͔̱̪̆̈́͜͝ö̸͍̟̜̹̋̓͂͜n̸̝̞̼̫̯̾̈e̵̢̲̫͗̿̚ ̴͖͕̲̼͈͊̿͘͘ơ̷̧̟͔̩̗̎͛̋̑f̸͍̍̑̍̈́ ̷̡̹̟̻̠̑̌̄u̵̟̓̒͌̈́̏s̵͉̤̼̼̤͛͝
    ̷̬̪̔͠ó̷͔͚̱̼̰͗́͆̚n̶͕͖̓̉̏e̷̙͚̝͇̠̋ ̷̬̃o̴̥̓̇̂̓͠f̴̧̟͙͈͆̒̏ ̷̥͍͔̀̀̐̓͛ų̵̱͂͝ş̴̡̱̣͒̈̍̔̓
    ̴̨̨̯̮͗̌͘͜o̷̳̝͍̔n̶̙̭̆e̴̫͙̒ ̸̠̖̖͖̦̉̈́̒̒͒ȯ̸̬̫͙̮͗f̷̡̗͔̟̖̉ ̶̢̬̟̲̩͂u̶͕͔͉̯̇͋͂̅͝s̵̘̘̍̾̀̈͠
    ̵̩̍́ö̸̝́̔̐̋̓n̶͔̬͆̈̀ê̵̠͂̄͂̐ ̵̺̦̌̑́ơ̷̪̗̪͎͝ͅf̸͖̎̇͛ ̸̦͚͍͍̞̈́̌͑͝u̵̝̠̇͒͝s̸̮̈́͠
    ̵̢̘̠̮̌͊̽o̵͕̍̉̇n̸͉͌̈́͗e̵̘͈̹̾̇̚̕ͅ ̷̩͑̈̓͐͒ö̶̺̬̱́͐̏f̶͔̜͑̈́ ̷̻̥̥̍u̴̐̽̂̎̐͜s̴̼̐

6. Tilgarial

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes

7. Lemonfairy

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Wrong thread lol...

9. Lemonfairy

Reading List:
    Link
    KannaPeer.png

10. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I only know of nowadays' Astolfo being a meme for being a trap. I have completely forgotten what NUF did back in those days.

11. Gav

Gav [Fairy of the Garden of Evil]

Reading List:
    Link
    Why have you summoned me?!

12. Tilgarial

Reading List:
    Link

fuyuuri likes this.
  13. Tilgarial

Reading List:
    Link
    We doth require thine history for the sake of mapping the past!
    Thou mayhaps be beholden by thy status as fallen, yet such matters not in the face of an archivist!

fuyuuri and Pyoo like this.
  14. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Show him the questions!

fuyuuri likes this.
  15. Tilgarial

Reading List:
    Link
    These questions?

fuyuuri likes this.
  16. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, I have nothing interesting to write.. beside the fact that some users are still active, but under a different username.

fuyuuri likes this.
  17. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing to see here... :sushi_peak::sushi_hide:

yuzuki and OnceandFutureLurker like this.
  18. yuzuki

yuzuki [sweet night] [plum blossoms]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm also going to leave a memoir because I'm tired on a Sunday afternoon and not thinking very straight after driving for like three hours and want to take a nap. XD Since I usually go pretty deep into detail with things, maybe this can be helpful to anyone who decides to pick up this project in the future. Tagging @Nyann and @SummerForest because I think they would find this particularly fun to read.

Soooo~ Rewind to 2015...

Prior to coming to NU/NUF I was super involved in the translation community. This was way before wuxia/xianxia or webnovels were a thing, and really only JP light novel translations were on the Internet. For people who remember Baka-Tsuki, I used to be an admin there and was super dedicated to the translation community, but I'm reluctant to go into the details. I had many visions about where the translation community ought to go (some of them were naive/idealistic), and had been trying to collect people to make a link aggregator for novel translations for years before NU existed. We actually had 2-3 different prototypes for something like a Baka-TsukiV2 (keep in mind that BT even had a mobile app back then), but none of them were completed because volunteer collaborative work is really hard to complete successfully -- although we had programmers pooled together from multiple different places. Something like NU was basically the entirety of my dream during my uni years, but ultimately graduation happened and my group was never able to complete anything. :blobpensive:

Anyhow I contacted Aho-Updates (NU's precursor) almost immediately after they made their link aggregator, and similarly I emailed Tony back in November 2015 when he made NU to see if he was looking for help with coding the site, but nothing ended up happening. :blobjoy: Regardless though, I had a very very very powerful admiration for Tony since the beginning, and we sort of had a unique relationship because of the nature of the way that we first met each other -- since in a sense Tony represented the manifestation of a dream that I had dedicated myself to for years.

I didn't revisit the forum on NUF until almost April 2016, which was basically a month before I graduated from uni. At that point I also had a tiny wordpress translation blog, and I joined NUF to advertise my translations. Also, I had recently cut ties from many of my prior online communities (both BT and a beloved anime blogging community where I originally met @iampsyx), so emotionally speaking I was also pretty unstable.

@Nefasdetestasti and @akki were the first people to talk to me, and they both had a pretty big impression on me. Also, since my username was @matcha I also got roped into the fad of food-related NUF members, and I also got eaten/tasted a lot.

I also had a constant eye for @Tony. Similar to @Nyann (...we are really similar in this way), I couldn't help but pay pretty close attention to all of the forum activity surrounding him. I was able to PM and talk to Tony, and honestly the more I talked to him the more special I thought he was -- and as someone who used to be the admin of a big site myself, Tony really is genuinely the kind of admin that you will rarely find online. I still maintain that Tony is amazing in every way, and I will probably insist on this with every ounce of sincerity I have forever and ever. :blobicecreamlove::blobicecreamlove::blobicecreamlove:

Anyhow the week I joined, @Tony was going through the drama of being shipped to @Das (as well as @Little Dragon), so I remember this event vividly. Also, as an overly-serious (and unknown) new member, I was basically really worried for @Tony and concerned about how he was feeling because @Tony was quite clear about not wanting to be shipped to @Das (although @Tony has that tsukkomi aura so Tony can often appear un-serious regardless of what he says). There was also this ultimatum of some kind where @Tony only had X number of days before he'd be forced into a marriage with @Das.

Soooooooooooooo........ :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2: ......I pulled a classic @yuzuki plot.

I made a clone and shipped myself to @Das in order to prevent @Das from getting married to @Tony.

The clone was named @Sad (the exact reverse of Das), and I think I was pretty successful at disrupting things because I basically threw myself at @Das trying to get shipped with him, which clearly was confusing because suddenly there was a random person trying to interfere with the wedding ship. :blobxd::blobxd::blobxd: @Das ran away from me though because he thought I was male! XD

This series of events is what got me to know @DCLXVI. For those who don't know her, she was famous for having a title despite having zero posts. Additionally, she had a meme where she was everyone's clone (I also claimed that I was @DCLXIV's clone). With @Sad I even did the sneaky thing where I made 100 posts to get a title and then deleted them all to get back down to zero. Also, many people don't know this but @DCLXVI nee-chan is actually really romantic, sentimental, and empathetic. She was actually on of the first people to catch on with what I was doing and sympathized with me (I had this chuuni hobby of "playing the villainess" or "side character pulling strings behind the scenes"), and consequently we started talking to each other in PMs.

Later on, I forgot how it was that it happened but I almost ended up married to @hayyan as @Sad because he figured out my true identity. I went inactive for like 3 months at the time (because I went on vacation to Tibet), so I think I missed my own wedding (thank goodness lol :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:), and I guess the result of that was that I didn't get married? However, @hayyan said this really cute thing where he just wanted to me to be happy, so I changed @Sad's username to @happy. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Later on, @happy would end up as @DCLXVI's second daughter (with @Pyoo as my sister!), and seriously she was like the best NUF mom ever. @DCXLVI had these suggestive moments where she would imply that she was a single mom and the father of her kids was actually (-censored-) and I SHIPPED THEM SO HARD! :aww::aww::aww: ...Although maybe I just wanted to be related to Tony somehow. Actually, a lot of nuffians wanted Tony in their family (I think @OverlyFriendly is probably the most famous). Both Deesee-neechan and I are both super tricky with our words so I'm personally happy with the outcome......... it's in @happy's profile information:
    On @happy's title it says "Contracted to Tony" and I actually forgot the details of the contract. I think it was something along the lines of me promising to always keep talking on NUF and never die, and in exchange I could have @Tony's heart internal organs when he dies. (Note: my obsession with internal organs at the time was because I was in my first year of medical school and we were dissecting corpses in anatomy lab -- consequently @happy had this organ collecting spree)

Things are slightly out of order here but I neglected to talk about @matcha (my main account).

So as @matcha back in 2016 my two biggest themes were "yandere" and "villainess". I had just watched Mirai Nikki around that time and I was a huge Yuno apologist. Consequently, my most "classic" avatar on NUF is a Yuno avatar.

[​IMG]

Yandere and villainess were my big themes because I had tonnssss of negative and dark themes at the time. In this sense, @DCLXVI nee-chan and me were really similar. For the Hell Family at one point (the Hell Family often does family avatars) we were trying to split of the seven deadly sins between the each of us, and Vi-chan and me used to always want the same ones. XD For the record: we both wanted envy.

When we were doing madoka avatars, Vi-chan said that she thought madoka-chan suited me and that she she saw herself as homura-chan... actually I wanted homura... :blobsob::blobsob::blobsob: This actually brings up a really good point about the way I saw my own personality though. Back in 2016/2017, I was definitely the type that was superficially nice and friendly and cute, but deep inside I definitely saw myself as angsty and dark and full of negative energy. I always saw myself as a villainess character who was always fated to lose and never deserved the happy end.

With @matcha in particular, the best example is probably with @akki

So @akki was the biggest Internet crush I had on NUF (like a serious crush). He is suuuuuper nice (I can't say this more times!), and legitimately he is probably one of the nicest guys on NUF. @akki by the way was the polar opposite of @episod3ux, and they are like oil and water. @akki was also the only person on NUF that I talked to outside of NUF (on discord), and pretty much everyone who interacted with him closely would probably openly attest to the fact about how wonderful and amazing akki is.

In 2016 though... I wanted to be in a ship with akki. :blobsalt::blobsalt::blobsalt: I was slightly akki-obsessed.

The issue was that at that time @akki was already in a (quasi-)ship with @Azuka, so it was impossible to do anything since he was already taken. This was pretty much the origin to my "villainess" phase because no matter how I looked at things, Azuka was definitely the heroine and I was clearly the villainess in every way.

I did a lot of fishy things like becoming @akki's shrine maiden (which is still @yuzuki's title), and I was absolutely committed to the idea that I would always be on @akki's side no matter what anything happened. There was a public joke at some point that I had a shrine to @akki in my closet at some point.

Anyhow... at some point I picked a fight with @Azuka which ended up being a brief spat of quite scary drama. @iampsyx sided with me (bless her a billion times over) and her profile wall got trashed with all her BL being burnt and stuff. This was because @Azuka was the more popular one and had a lot of friends, and obviously I was the "homewrecker" party who was in the wrong. The result of the drama was a truce and eventually Azuka ended up splitting up with akki (I guess because I'm way too much to handle :sweating_profusely:).

The Azuka drama was a pretty heavy event for me, and I posted on my profile wall that it's scary to be a relatively unknown/unpopular person with no friends. The response was really heartwarming for me though, and lots of people said they would be my "nakama" (friends in One Piece) -- and most notably @DCLXVI was one of the first to say this, so Vi-chan and @iampsyx (who was my friend all along) are generally the people who I considered my original "nakama" on NUF. I guess this would expand into the Hell Family? Although the Hell Family is mostly psyx-chan's work, so I don't know exactly how she found everyone, but I think the core of us was formed around here.

From this point onward things were pretty stable for me and the years are sort of a blur. I had a "canoe" with @akki instead of a "ship" :blobrofl:, and at some point I was trying to form a harem for akki because there was no way that I could ever imagine being in a ship with someone so dazzling. Furthermore, akki was super popular with lots of people -- which can sort of be exemplified by the akki's entourage thread that existed at some point. Incidentally, I met @Matsurika at this time because we both liked @akki.

As @matcha I think my biggest claim to fame was that I brought mafia games to NUF. I made a handful of themed mafia games that were apparently really funny and popular, which sort of drew a lot of famous people together like @A5G_Reaper @Acarnina and @DCLXVI -- who would go on to make the KR and Twin Kingdom games. The mafia games were also the reason why @Tony expanded my PM invite limit to 100 people.

I also made tons of clones and had tons of ideas. There's probably too many to list them all. I met @Pyoo through a clone for poems. I participated on Adventurer's Guild with a clone called @selkie, who would later start an anonymous compliment service (which I think drew me closer to @Bielt and some others). @villain was made when I was playing with @DCLXVI and getting to know each other better. @paprika was how I got to know @BlancFrost and @trap was a really odd period when I had a run in with the infamous @Dragon God >.< As for ideas... well... I always had ideas. There's a monthly short story writing prompt thread that is mine, a handful of forum games, @lychee does polls, @happy does piano, @tiger.prince was secretly part of a translation group, @yuzuki (main account version 2) does anything serious...... well I knew a lot of people so stuff happened. It's hard for me to list them all. Oh, I played a role in convincing @Tony to add a blog section to NUF. Also I was the original translator when Tony started Blob Translations (Hell Family translated/edited Lord and Dragon) which brought me to @blee8 and @Action, which later led to blobs becoming a thing on NUF.

Months and years pass and with time my obsession with akki dies down more (and also Rika and Akki end up in a ship), and I change my username to @yuzuki. This sort of marks the end of my emotionally unstable period and the start of the more current me.

Slowly I got more and more inactive and had several gaps when I was away from NUF!

These days I log into @yuzuki to check PMs and @lychee became the main account I post with (I go on poll sprees every few months and then die down and go quiet; I also randomly make community games and have been working on a forum bot @hiori for like the past three years but am always too lazy to finish it). I also had a brief period when I was super active of ScribbleHub and met @SummerForest. Most recently I think I got known again for my polls and blog posts, and that's all!

Oh -- one final addendum -- they weren't mentioned in the body above but I'll always remember the really quiet, nice, and thoughtful older lurkers of NUF. They're some of my favorite people that I definitely didn't have secret crushes on even though they often drift by on the periphery: @CDLevit @doomeye1337 and most recently @OnceandFutureLurker fit into this category although there have been a few. @Tilgarial also gives off a popular bishounen vibe and like @Nyann I expect he'll become really popular :blobhero::blobhero: Good luck Mr.Tiger! :bloblove::bloblove::bloblove:

:blobjoy::blobjoy::blobjoy::blobjoy:

Okay... I probably spilled a bit too many of my guts so please don't blackmail me later :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: I have a lot of dark history too, so go easy on me!!!! :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2: I guess it is probably only fair if I dig out juicy embarrassing moments about people's pasts on NUF if mine is out in the open.

DCLXVI, CDLevit, AliceShiki and 15 others like this.
  19. Tilgarial

Reading List:
    Link
    Popular bishounen vibe? *blush*

Lurking, iampsyx, Nyann and 1 other person like this.
  20. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

My mention is too far down <.<

Lurking, iampsyx, Pyoo and 1 other person like this.