[Poll] How important is conventional physical attractiveness to you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Oct 14, 2019.

Tags:
?

If you you could be married with anyone, what score would your ideal spouse be?

1. I'm male - >99%

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I'm male - 95%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm male - 90%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. I'm male - 80%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. I'm male - 70%

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  6. I'm male - 60%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. I'm male - 50%

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  8. I'm male - 40%

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. I'm male - 30%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I'm male - 20%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I'm male - 10%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I'm male - 5%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. I'm male - <1%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  14. I'm male - I'm unsure

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  15. I'm female - >99%

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  16. I'm female - 95%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  17. I'm female - 90%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. I'm female - 80%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  19. I'm female - 70%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  20. I'm female - 60%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  21. I'm female - 50%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  22. I'm female - 40%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  23. I'm female - 30%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  24. I'm female - 20%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  25. I'm female - 10%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. I'm female - 5%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. I'm female - <1%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. I'm female - I'm unsure

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  29. I do not wish to answer

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Scenario below~ Imagine that you above the age of eighteen~

In the Kingdom of Rabulavuzu, the Emperor passed a law saying that all adults over the age of eighteen must be married regardless of circumstances. All currently unmarried adults have exactly one month to get their marriage registrations filed with the government, or else you will have to pay a ridiculous 50% tax on top of your income.

To assist in the matchmaking, the government has provided a service to help people find a spouse. The service is designed to help you find someone who is compatible with you with the fewest dates possible ⁠— and involves a long survey and interview with hundreds of questions about your preferences, habits, and personality.

One of the questions on the survey is about the appearance of your ideal partner. Here is the text:

For a research study, one hundred thousand individuals in your country of your same gender/sexual orientation were recruited. They were asked to score thousands of photos as "attractive" or "unattractive", which has allowed us to create a machine learning software to score individuals on conventional standards of beauty.

A 100% score indicates that 100k / 100k people would indicate that person is "attractive".

A 50% score indicates that 50k / 100k people would indicate that person is "attractive".

A 0% score indicates that 0k / 100k people would indicate that person is "attractive".
    And now for the questions...​

1. If you could be married with anyone, what score would your ideal spouse be?

2. If you didn't choose 100%, why not?

3. If you somehow ended up in an arranged marriage with someone with a 100% score, how would you feel?

4. If you somehow ended up in an arranged marriage with someone with a 0% score, how would you feel?

5. For dating, what ranges of scores would you be most comfortable with?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What if my aesthetic standards deviate sharply from the conventional? I'll still answer while assuming they are in line with the conventional, so here I go:
    1. Ideal spouse score: 40% or above.
    2. I won't exclude 100%, tho I imagine being with a beauty would be quite intimidating.
    3. Don't honestly know. A bit lucky, maybe?
    4. :blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood:
    5. 40%-100%
    It's more important to me that I feel comfortable and relaxed around her and that she's my type, personality-wise. Given I don't find her completely ugly, tho.

3. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, the ideal one would always be 100%

but I myself prefer my spouse to be attractive to me and not that attractive to everyone else. So, maybe around 40-50 %

Unless you are OP and you are sure that your partner is 100% loyal to you, dont ever pick the 100% as it will only bring troubles endlessly

Orororos likes this.
  4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime waifus aren't real. Get a life.
    that probably hurt me more than it hurts yours

5. Lang10

Lang10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK
    The meme of God gives a woman a chance for a perfect man but is on different levels (like each fool of a mall) where are 6 levels. God said that each level up the more perfect your SO, but you can't go back to a lower level. The woman continues to the final level, level 6, with no man and the woman asked why there aren't any men. God simply said, "There are no more men on this level, they are all gone. You chose this path. You have no one to blame but yourself." As for the guys (God did give the guys a chance too), they only get as high as level 4 and never high as they got what they wanted. Pity for the women on levels 5 and 6 in the Men's Perfect Women.
    3. If you somehow ended up in an arranged marriage with someone with a 100% score, how would you feel?
    It depends on the partner, but not a big fan as I believe in choice.
    4. If you somehow ended up in an arranged marriage with someone with a 0% score, how would you feel?
    No thanks.
    50-85 maybe

AMissingLinguist and Orororos like this.
  6. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I don't care about the conventional beauty, but I would like them to be attractive to me.
    2) Beauty is relatively subjective and to me personality and how I got along with them would matter far more if I'm being forced to marry them.
    3) As long as we got along and they weren't one to let their looks go to their head pretty good.
    4) It would be kind of awkward but who knows beyond that.
    5) Score wouldn't matter so much to me, but preferably 35+.

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    I think someone that shares the same interests is attractive

Lurking and felidormit like this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone:

9. felidormit

felidormit probably asleep.

Reading List:
    Link
    and here i wonder how much people score my attractiveness

otaku31 likes this.
  10. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Maybe between 55-65%
    2. Because being with someone that 100% found ideal could potentially lead to either my spouse cheating because of so many people that would find them ideal (physically, since it said only by photos) or my own self confidence would sink due to being with someone who was everyone's ideal while I wouldn't be.
    3. Probably like I swallowed something unpalatable. Beautiful people are lovely to look at, but I really don't want to be with someone that physically appealing to the masses.
    4. I'd find a way to make it work. And hope that they weren't abusive or a doormat as a result of being that physically undesirable.
    5. For just dating, probably anywhere between 30-70. Again, beautiful people are great eye candy, but I personally prefer someone who looks more average

Lurking, Snowbun and lychee like this.
  11. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I think generally everyone is like this!

However the poll is a very sneaky question of asking how attractive your ideal partner is to other people (in general).

Consequently, for most people it would be a stretch to say that conventional attractiveness has no bearing absolutely on what goes through their mind for considering who they like.

As for me personally, I feel extremely uncomfortable around people who I think are too attractive (by conventional standards) -- I almost feel like it would be impossible for me to like them. I was curious if anyone else felt similar.

12. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread is making me feel lonely. I don't like it. :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:

13. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    *Pat pat hug hug* :blob_patpat::blobnom:

AMissingLinguist, Xigua and lychee like this.
  14. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

There is another option. Create a Revolution and behead the king for tyranny.

15. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't hv an anime waifu. Heck, I haven't watched anime for 10 yrs. And I'm the type to watch over my female leads and male leads (from manga/novel) with a benevolent smile and good cheer as they falteringly make their way thru the maze known as love and relationship progress. :blobangel:

Lurking and AMissingLinguist like this.
  16. CrimsonPhoenix

CrimsonPhoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I would like to say 100% but I feel like it would cause a whole lot of trouble so I'm unsure.

100% would mean a whole lot of trouble that could range from everyone staring at my spouse to people being willing to kill me to get her. Those problems would also include that my spouse would have a horrible personality as a result of her beauty.

At first I would be ecstatic but later on, as I realize all the challenges I would have to endure, I wouldn't be all that happy anymore.

No just NO. I would probably run or try my hardest to find someone else.

Dating is a lot more relaxed than marriage so I would have no problems dating someone at 100% since that would be an incredible experience but would generally prefer someone less attractive. I think 40-100 would be a good range.

Personally, attractiveness is more important when dating and I would be more comfortable going out of my comfort zone in both ways with me being willing to date someone less attractive if they better match my preferences or being willing to date someone more attractive even if I don't like them as a person all that much. However in regards to marriage, their personality/quality is more important to me than attractiveness but they still need to meet minimum criteria. Too high an attractiveness is a problem with marriage because I feel like it would result in a lot of unfortunate events that would sooner or later break the relationship due to things like insecurity, harassment, etc.

Lurking and lychee like this.
  17. Orororos

Orororos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally i need to know my own score first before I could answer that 5 questions :blobrofl:

felidormit and otaku31 like this.
  18. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I don't know, at least 60 perhaps? I don't want my partner to be too far away from my own score

2. I don't know what it means to have perfect beauty, but I do see some people online that I could consider as 100 to me but even if it is possible I think I would end up feeling guilty for being unable to match them be it in appearance, money, ability etc. I guess I prefer balances after all

3. I don't know, I'm more concerned about the other party if this happens. I do daydream a lot about having the perfect partner, but dream is just a dream, I would rather marry someone more normal.

4. Depend if he or she has something outside of looks, I would not mind if the other party have a good personality, background, sense of humor, money etc, basically if they have no look, at least fill it out with something else, I do care about appearance a lot so yeah, the other aspect would need to be excellent

5. I don't know, from my experience although the appearance is the first thing I would consider in getting close or interested to someone, dating them or be in a serious relationship is another matter entirely.

right now i'm thinking of focusing on my study and gain some wealth before getting in any serious relationship, I not only have high expectation and standard on my partner but I also on myself.

19. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. what some see as beautiful (ie. hermione for some)
    may seem average or disgusting to others.

i know a girl who's in love with a chinese guy who looks like he's from uzbekistan. with that haircut and unibrow. so.. to each Their own values

Lurking likes this.
  20. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    In my eyes, everyone is 100%.