[Poll] How important is conventional physical attractiveness to you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Oct 14, 2019.

Tags:
?

If you you could be married with anyone, what score would your ideal spouse be?

1. I'm male - >99%

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I'm male - 95%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm male - 90%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. I'm male - 80%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. I'm male - 70%

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  6. I'm male - 60%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. I'm male - 50%

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  8. I'm male - 40%

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. I'm male - 30%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I'm male - 20%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I'm male - 10%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I'm male - 5%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. I'm male - <1%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  14. I'm male - I'm unsure

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  15. I'm female - >99%

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  16. I'm female - 95%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  17. I'm female - 90%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. I'm female - 80%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  19. I'm female - 70%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  20. I'm female - 60%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  21. I'm female - 50%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  22. I'm female - 40%

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  23. I'm female - 30%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  24. I'm female - 20%

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  25. I'm female - 10%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. I'm female - 5%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. I'm female - <1%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. I'm female - I'm unsure

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  29. I do not wish to answer

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I think looks are still important.
    but the more I look at and know someone, probably the more I'll know their good points and up goes their value.

Lurking likes this.
  2. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    How 100% looks like

[​IMG]

3. Karumin

Karumin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. If you could be married with anyone, what score would your ideal spouse be?
    Mhmm, it's a bit tricky for me cuz when I fancy someone I can act weird(?), I mean if I considered someone as handsome I cannot talk to that person... Literally, I get speechless and shy ლ(¯ロ¯"ლ) it had happened thrice, and I've been teased A LOT for it TTwTT. Anyways, I like smart people so I think looks aren't a priority, I would say something between 40~100 maybe? That's cuz what I find handsome, sometimes it wasn't the most conventional :blobokhand: maybe their 100 wasn't my 100, idk lol

2. If you didn't choose 100%, why not?
    If their 100 is my 100 (?) I wouldn't be able to talk to my hypothetical husband lolol

3. If you somehow ended up in an arranged marriage with someone with a 100% score, how would you feel?
    If is someone of conventional beauty, it would be kinda 'meh', if we can have a good relationship of respect at least, a friendship, I'll be happy. Now if it's in my standards... Oh boi, It'll take me a lot of time to be able to properly talk with him without stuttering :blobdizzy:

4. If you somehow ended up in an arranged marriage with someone with a 0% score, how would you feel?
    Fine, lol. I'll be happy if we can have a good communication, if we can develop at least a friendship to base our marriage off!

5. For dating, what ranges of scores would you be most comfortable with?
    Mmm, 40~60, or below I guess :hmm: it's just that everyone has differents views of what is attractive...

And in the end if it's both ways, as I don't see myself as a 100, I would feel awful if in that situation my husband complains about my looks (。•́︿•̀。)

AMissingLinguist, yuzuki and iampsyx like this.
  4. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    1. If you could be married with anyone, what score would your ideal spouse be? Probably a 50% not too hot but not someone who master dog would want to avoid being with.

I mean it’s mostly choosing someone for marriage master dog does not want to lose master dogs virginity! So others can have the ones who everyone would like to have.
    3. If you somehow ended up in an arranged marriage with someone with a 100% score, how would you feel?
    Probably the same as 0% (I’m working backwards!)
    4. If you somehow ended up in an arranged marriage with someone with a 0% score, how would you feel?
    I’d probably avoid them it’s not like I was ever planning on having sex with them in the first place probably the reason we ended up together tho.
    5. For dating, what ranges of scores would you be most comfortable with? 40-70% most women who fall below these ranges do so cause they aren’t healthy to their own body... I’d guess.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    100% attractiveness personality-wise~ :blobokhand::blobrofl:

Honestly tho, aren't pictures too lacking to gauge someone's attractiveness? (Also depends on what kind of pictures they are — instagram-level selfies? Yearbook pictures? Baby pics? :blobrofl:) There are so many ways you can to be attracted to someone: the way they carry themselves, their attitude, their jokes, their voice, their beliefs, their gaze, their laughs — heck, I bet someone can sneeze or cry attractively (one of my HS friends had this really, really cute sneeze that would make my make my heart go ~squee~ every time lol). I consider someone charming to be much more interesting or "attractive" than someone who just has good looks as per current society standards.

So yeah, my "ideal" spouse would...first and foremost, be someone who I'd love to laugh and talk with! :blobhug:

Because a sense of humor is much more important than looks~

Intimidated. :blobrofl: I've always been unable to hold eye contact with gorgeous people for some reason hahahha

Curious. I wonder how they would feel having such a score, and what kind of personality/attitude they have.

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable with someone who looks too dazzling, but it all depends on what kind of person they are~ So yeah, anyone from 0% to 100% is alright with me...if I dated, that is (lol).

6. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Above 50% at least. Preferably more.
    You will be spending the rest of your life with this person. This is we’re personality weigh in.
    Ok. If her personality suck. I’d look for another one. As far as the conditions go. As long as I’m married in the end it should be fine.
    Same as the answer before, with that in mind I have to be at least a little attracted to them or the deals off.
    Same as the first answer.

Lurking, AMissingLinguist and lychee like this.
  7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    80%?
    Because I know I don’t like 100%. I never found Brad Pitt or George Clooney or Harrison Ford, etc., all that attractive.
    If he has a good personality, I might overlook that he isn’t my 100%, otherwise skip!
    Baffled. Probably would not accept.
    40-80%?

Lurking and lychee like this.
  8. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as the partner is not someone with bad personality I think I can still handle living with her.

But an ideal yet realistic scenario for me would be a 50% rating with a nice temperament I guess

lychee likes this.
  9. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Maybe 50? I dunno... I'd like an average one...
    2. Because i think when someone's looks is too perfect they would have a spoiled personality? Like everything must go their way because that's how it's like for their whole life?
    3. I guess i would be a bit nervous?
    4. I'd feel a bit unlucky... But I'd still try to get to know them
    5. 50% i think... People would give me a strange look if someone plain like me is dating with a very beautiful person... Average is nice

lychee likes this.
  10. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, the divorce rate is going to skyrocket if everyone marries based on looks, you know. :aww:

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    before all else I will do anything to change that law or fly away from that dastardy Empire~ yes this cat can do that much if we serious enuf~
    (¯―¯) : don't drag me~
    (o≧ω≦)○))`―¯) : SHUT UP!

50% mean average~ or whatever on average range~
    cuz it bothersome~
    ........................ God do you hate me?
    lot of thing happen~
    anything considered as average~

we do like bishi~
    (`ロ´)/ : OI THERE NO WAY I...
    (≧▽≦)┌┛)`д);∴ : ZIP IT!

but only up to regarded as eye candy~ you see despite this cat like eye candy on first place this cute cat have lil interest toward romance~
    19662.png that's why you become.
    19663.png
    loading.gif
    19657.png

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    1) If I could choose anyone and the only criteria I had available was appearance? Then 100%.

2) Well, I did choose 100%, so I guess I'll justify it... Putting it simply, it's because I'm pretty much guaranteed to find them attractive. Like... I have my own standards for beauty and I don't think I'm super picky (I am somewhat picky though) in regards to appearance. I think I'd probably be somewhat safe in the 70% area, but... Why bet in being part of the 30% that consider the person unattractive when I could be guaranteed to find an attractive person instead?
    In the end though, I don't care that much for looks in order to begin a relationship, so... Well, I'd still need to talk to the person and get to know what they're like.

3) Okay? I mean, not super fond of arranged marriages, but they serve their purpose. I'd try handling it somehow and try to create a bond with the person.

4) For this one, I actually remembered a video:

I think she's someone that would fall in the 0% category? It's kinda funny you asked because while watching the video and hearing her talk, I thought like... "I think I'd totally be willing to date her if I ever had the chance".

So... I think I'd be fine, I have my own self-esteem issues, and my partner would probably have theirs too, but we could help each other and work out our own issues I believe. As long as it was someone I enjoyed being together and shared morals and values with, I believe things could work out just fine~

5) As someone that was in 2 LDRs already... I really don't care for the ranges... >.>
    But... 70-100% I guess? Bigger chances of being with someone I'm physically attracted to is always nice.

Lurking and AMissingLinguist like this.
  13. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What if two blind people are dating? The concept of physical beauty is not in their eyes, I suppose!

14. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    still can use the expression "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
    blind people can "see" through touch in a sense. and they can still imagine how something looks.

though for them mostly it is personality. i don't know how blind people really think

15. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    <1%. This is a forced marriage, so I don't really care about attraction.
    Forced marriage. Whether I like it or not, it's happening. I will settle for <1% since I doubt many people would also choose the same, and that my spouse may dislike me for my reason of choosing <1%.
    Unfortunate. I have to deal with someone who's way too beautiful, and they will most likely dislike me.
    Fortunate. I will convey my reason for choosing this, and hopefully the marriage doesn't end in death or divorce.
    Truthfully, I do think the middle 50% of scores on a bell curve is fine for me. I don't know the range, so I would have to research it. (I'm lazy, so I won't do it. :blobcozy:)

16. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh. Those are the standards for attractive??? According to who? The only one mildly good looking is Ford when he was in his 20s?

17. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn’t they win something like “hottest man on Earth” award? I know George Clooney did, at least. I remember it.., *confused recollection*

18. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    I sent that too early.

Mmmph! I would be pretty paranoid about everything if everyone found my spouse attractive... but of course if I picked someone I would expect everyone to find them attractive since id pick someone I consider attractive and not be able to understand the pov of those who dont? But at least then I wont be worried I will be abandoned... I think I am pretty safe if George Clooney is considered attractive:blob_coughblood:. Ive never even heard of that before. This is why I dont pay attention to what the media says is attractive or fashionable.

Also i firmly believe there is no 100%. No human can meet 100k/100k ppls standard of beauty, not unless someone is lying

0% eeh? Well, marriage doesnt require sex afaik... if I dont like their personality im leaving this country, or getting a divorce, or shanking them. Inclusive or, not exclusive or.

Ive completely forgot the questions by now. Did I get them?

19. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, the general populace thinks celebrities like those are conventionally attractive. I'm of the opinion that celebrities only seem that attractive because we're somewhat familiar with them (we know their expressions, their laughs, their etc) and because of things like glamour, camera angles, make-up, clothes, etc. Imo, objectively, not many celebrities are actually above 80, since there are people out there with incredibly unrealistic beauty standards (me being one of them). I've seen a decent number of people irl who are far more conventionally attractive than celebrities known for their attractiveness. (also I think 100% is impossible because there are always people who have completely different tastes. I seriously doubt anyone is so attractive that 100,000/100,000 people all would vote that person attractive)

90%. My ego has no real issue being the less attractive one. I'm sure eventually the passive stun ability from her beauty will fade for me, allowing me to hold up my end of our lively interactions, while still flaring up and stunning me from time to time, making me re-appreciate her beauty consistently over the long years.

I don't believe anyone will be able to get 100,000/100,000 random people to vote him/her attractive. People have such varying range and breadth of taste, I seriously doubt anyone can appeal to every single person in such a large sample size given the selection was completely random (aka no filling up 100,000 of that person's fans).

First of all, impossible. Second of all, that's why my answer to #1 is 90%. Pretty close to 100% without being unrealistic. Third of all, at that point, personality would be crucial. While a certain amount of attraction is needed to stimulate those romantic feelings, WHO the person is would matter a lot more for marriages. I'd be apprehensive till I know the person better, especially since her being incredibly attractive could put me in a bad situation socially if we have a falling out and it turns into a he-said she-said situation.

Depends. If she has no expectations of romantic affections, she's generally a good and mature person, and she's emotionally low maintenance (chill, generally also looking for lots of alone time even as a couple, no need to feel "wanted", etc.) I'm sure we'd be best friends (and best allies against the world) because we'll probably be stuck together due to familial circumstances (arranged marriage and such). Maybe we'd still have separate rooms (maybe a collapsible wall and rejoin-able beds for when relatives visit), but that might even be better for the stability of the relationship. Essentially, as I don't really have much of a desire for marriage to begin with, I wouldn't feel too bad about being stuck in one such as this under certain circumstances, regardless of my partner's desirability. I might never grow to romantically love her, but I'd may be able to grow to love her like the sister I never had.

70 - 90

Conventional attractiveness is important to a point for me (conventional because I don't have really unique tastes, just unrealistic ones). I'd say about 5% of women I've seen, I'd consider "hot" (aka attractive to the point of stunning me). 25% have the potential to be quite attractive to me once I get to know them better (includes pretty much all those I had romantic interest in). The remaining 70%, I don't think I can ever fondly and romantically look at them. Maybe just fondly, but I don't think I can foster those special type of feelings for them. Although to be fair, I was never wowed by someone's personality to that extent who wasn't already in the 25%.

As far as online interactions go, I only developed an inkling of a romantic interest once but I'd already seen her, so that doesn't count for personality over looks, since her expressions were what really made her personality "work" for me and looks are definitely a part of that. It's not that I wasn't interested in her personality, but personality alone can only pique my interest in terms of romantic feelings (as harsh as that sounds). It's how that personality is expressed in an auditory and visual manner that truly captivate me. If I put it in gaming terms, gameplay and story (personality) are important, but what really gets me romantically inclined are how that works together with graphics and art style (looks). When it comes to actual games, gameplay and art style is pretty much everything for me (story and high fidelity graphics are just icing on the cake), but this is just an analogy.

"All currently unmarried adults have exactly one month to get their marriage registrations filed with the government, or else you will have to pay a ridiculous 50% tax on top of your income."

Kind of off-topic, but I consider this a terrible policy that would simply result in the unhappiness of a huge swathe of the population. We already have better tax rates for married couples (although thankfully not to that extent). There are idiots who get married just for that and end up ruining not only their relationship but also their finances in the long run. It's one of those "sounds great, doesn't work" laws, and I seriously doubt you can tweak those till they truly work as intended. It's one of those laws that might see good stats for a few years before seeing divorce rates and financial destitution rates skyrocket in the later years. I understand they're trying to promote population growth to keep the economy growing, but this is an issue that requires a lot of subtle societal work before you can pave a law on it. Or if you want to be lazy, legally let more immigrants in to artificially boost that growth (before those immigrants' later generations stop reproducing as much).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most of us can agree that it's a terrible policy! xD

... Reason why no country ever implemented this kind of thing... It's more of a necessary context to put you in the spirit of the poll I guess~