Discussion Has Er Gen's writing style changed in quality for the worse?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ousainou.adeniyi, Aug 14, 2019.

?

Has Er Gen's writing style changed in quality for the worse?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    86.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lohp is so good ....

I still wait for the stack chapters ...

Only read 1 chapter is not satisfying

2. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yap you are right, I just give example, not judging other novel trash. If I don't like some novels, I simply not read it and if someone ask, I will tell them why I don't like it, not call it trash because of its cliche because I only read few chapters

3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn!
    You are in for a rude awakening.
    It is sad that people like you believe that A Will Eternal is the best China has to offer.
    No one in China believes that not even the authors themselves.
    These books are referred to as mental masturbation by readers.
    A disgrace to Chinese literature amongst others.
    Only westerners with a grass is greener on the other side mentality think otherwise

Fastfood is fast food no matter how you dress it up.
    Your fanaticism may cause you to live in denial but the rest of us won't deny reality.
    Over and out!
    My ignore list grows.
    Peace!

https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/5199787/

Ophis_Trihexa and kkgoh like this.
  4. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Apparently you did not judge that it is trash but you called it trash. You also called WoC trash but you only read it for 5 chapters.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think using the excuse of being "example" would grant you a pass on saying something is trash.

Ophis_Trihexa, Wujigege and Sparteh like this.
  5. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    Pointing out your opinion with actual arguments cannot even be called as an insult. Answering to other opinions with your own opinion and arguments is called a discussion. Thats what everyone besides you seems to be doing in this thread. Bluntly saying stuff with a purpose of harming others is called insulting. Calling things someone likes "trash" when you know nothing about it, just because someone something didn't praise the thing you like, is called throwing a childish tantrum. These 2 are what you have been doing here.

There is a massive difference between reading summary of like 5 sentences and reading a novel of 1.5k chapters. Speaking specifically about AWE, I have completed it. It doesn't change the fact that you practically know nothing about it. Even the best summary cannot convey things like writing style or important details. Therefore, one cannot truly rate anything based on it.

Unlike you, I only comment on novels about novels I have completed or at least have read read half of it. Considering standard length of CN, thats a lot. Nor I go insult people for no reason. That is the difference.

Even though you have been trying to do what is described in CN as "inverting right and wrong" and trying to put the blame on us while insulting us, however it won't work. Its not us who attack others. Your reason to attack us are blunt lies. And honestly, the more you speak, the more you prove that we (people you insult) are right. Though, from the look of your post, it seems that further discussions with you are worthless because instead of actual discussion, we will only receive personal attacks. So, I am done.

I can half agree with that. People are indeed tired of cultivation. I am among them, however, there are a few things I would like to mention. First, qidian style is still a problem. I am not talking only about PoT, but about all of their novels. If you look at the number of readers (on NU), those novels on qidian which were never on other sites has much lesser numbers. Second, those numbers and ratings on qidian are not trustworthy. Just look at the number of people who have their reviews and comments removed. Personally, I really doubt their accuracy. NU is still the biggest site to share info about Asian novels. Not having advertising in the form of new chapters released also influences things.

Hypocrite bahavior... Thats actually quite a decent way to put it about a guy who comes, blames and insults people for doing stuff that they didn't while he himself does the exact same thing he describes and acts as if he is right....

Ophis_Trihexa, Weneary and GDLiZy like this.
  6. Weneary

Weneary Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True but at the same time big websites like qidian and wuxiaworld does not really need any advertisement from NU because they have a very big pool of readers of their own. At this point, I would take novels like black tech internet cafe or any new genre despite its flaws over any masterpiece cultivation novels they would translate because there are too many of them. Just RI alone is enough for me to fill in the gap of those novels.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wkwkkwwkkw I don't need your permission to insult, same with you guys insult one of my favourite novel without anyone permission.

I don't even care if nobody like you made me in your ignore list wkwkwkwk
    Hypocrite? So be it

I don't care !

At least I cannot just let you guys insult one of my favourite novel.

You guys cannot reach the Apex, I don't care what ants like you guys opinion on me.

Okay, time to go ... Good luck guys wkwkkwwkk

8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't say anything about his novels in general, but I don't feel that ISSTH was consistent in quality even within itself.
    I definitely enjoyed the first 400 chapters or so to varying degrees, but the following 600 chapters was increasingly dreary and unfunny until I dropped it around the 1000chapter mark, I have no idea if it improved after that but I'm not really interested in finding out.
    It has the same problem as many other cultivation stories where new characters keep being introduced and only remain relevant to the plot for maybe an arc or two at the most yet expecting the reader to care about them.
    The same jokes kept being reused over and over until they became annoying, the fights became increasingly drawn out and boring, the powerups increasingly lazy to the point that the author just straight up invoked the plot armor for no reason other than letting the mc power up by being suicidal.
    And worst of all, the damned rapist parrot just wouldn't go away.
    And yes I'm a bit salty about this novel. lol

Ghost_Spawn likes this.
  9. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are objective standards by which something is trash. And xianxia and frens have many tropes which straight up ruin novels. Some can naturally be compensated. But most CNs do not. Too much focus on a broken system to be a good story.

RoundCat98 likes this.
  10. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    All of these issues can be resolved depending on the way the author writes the story.

Lifespan: Just because characters can have a long lifespan doesn't mean the story has to span a great length of time. Why would the story require the mc to naturally live out his whole lifespan?

Multiple Realms: If the power scaling isn't so crazy and the secondary characters aren't incompetent then they can also follow the mc into the next realm. Tertiary characters and a few secondary characters will be left behind, but they can easily be replaced and there is still a consistent main cast.

Survival of the fittest: As long as society is actually coherent and not some chaotic anarchy then this won't matter at all. Not to mention, the main cast shouldn't be a group of extras that can easily be killed off the moment they leave a city; this is stemmed even more if the power scaling isn't some crazy exponential.

These issues will occur if the author doesn't take care in building his world and cast properly, but we shouldn't be basing the quality of a genre by the works of bad authors.

11. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So ... am starting to read through "A Will Eternal", at Chapter 206 where MC Bai Xiaochun straight up went Rambo, continued to claim his innocence and killed his "oppressors" even though he was the one that initially provoked them (by stealing their blood qi). And the scary thing is that he actually believes his own lies (i.e. has a pathological victim mentality).
    This isn't the first time, I doubt it's the last.

I read @zaggernut 's review and he had an insightful comment.
    "In short, if you ever read Harry Potter and went "I wish Harry stayed 11 years old throughout the series", this is absolutely the story for you."

I just wanna know if the MC continues being a hypocritical immature retard (pardon my french) even after Chapter 206.
    If it is, I'm dropping this crap. I can put up with anything else.
    Meng Hao from ISSTH did this occasionally in his early years but at least he grew out of it pretty quickly.

It's one thing to be an anti-hero and own up to it (e.g Deadpool). It's another thing to be an annoying cockroach that steals food from humans, and then proceed to scream at said humans that attempt to kill them.
    Kinda goes beyond "shameless" humor. That's just being an asshole. Not sure why Er Gen thinks this kinda character is interesting/funny.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  12. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes he remains that way.

Wujigege and kkgoh like this.
  13. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, Renegade Immortal is currently still his best novel. :cookie:

14. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never blame the genre, xianxia is a good genre who needs to make the work good is the author

immortality? Multiple Worlds ? Powerscaling? If the author actually wants to do it deeper he can make it work, its hard but he can

What we have are authors that rarely will bother with deeper interactions beetwen characters because its harder and needs more thought it takes more time and it will also need the author to remember what kind of personality,etc,etc the character have when making things with them so its better to just ignore the rest and focus on the cultivation and they still doesnt care doing a better world building at all

Not to mention how small chaptes are and how much the authors like to repeat things so they can cover word limit, if they bothered in developing story and characters and not only making to word limit,even going further you would get better things, its not fast food-tier genre for nothing

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    kkgoh and GDLiZy like this.
  15. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. I read up to Chapter 300 just to check, you're right. Dropping it.

16. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I figured out the problem with the MC in "A Will Eternal".
    Came across this YouTube vid that pretty much summarizes it.

"You never go full r*tard. Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam". Remember? Went full r*tard. Went home empty handed."

17. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After this discussion i returned to read pursuit of the truth with a fresh mind I have to say, I am really digging it so far, it is much much better than AWE and RI so far. It actually feels like a mystery novel set in a xianxia for once. ( Ch 650 ish)

18. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I finished AWE and I have to say I liked it. I found a refreshing novel, without the usual Er Gen touch of the protagonist always running to get stronger, besides I found an extremely funny novel. So I disagree with you, I think he just decided to change. The novel that disappointed me was Pursuit of Truth.

I really liked it at first, I found it sensational, but it took too long to show focus, to show about the protagonist's past and even in chapter 800 I stopped I was still confused, furthermore, the skills were as confusing as MC's past . I found a masterpiece thrown in the trash, honestly, who wants to read 1000 chapters with everything being a mistery?

19. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Different folks different strokes.
    When you have read 50 cultivation novels that are so in your face and everything is obvious.
    A mystery is a welcome respite

GDLiZy likes this.
  20. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not agree, I hate any kind of lingering mystery for no good reason. By the way, I read a lot more than 50 novels, a lot more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.