Question Are there really that many M’s on NU?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Vanidor, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, there are two genres that I read even though I find them problematic. The first of these is Romance novels: I read these because I love seeing female protagonists and they are most commonly found there. And in general, good Romance novels are pretty decent. They will have strongly characterized protagonists and interesting conflicts. Their downfall tend to be that the male love interest tends to be an awful jackass; and one who takes over the story at that. Still, I find that these books are worth reading because the point where the love interest takes over is generally well into the story, and the early part can still be pretty good.

Isekai stories are a similar tale except that they tend to be much worse. These books are largely written by amateurs with no interest in the craft of writing so it should come as no surprise that they tend to have paper-thin characterization, mostly non-existent plots, and poor world-building. So why still read them? I just pick out the ones with promising premises. These suggest all sorts of wild plots - how can a person with X power / Y disadvantage make his way in the world? And so, these books can be pretty entertaining as long as they can maintain forward momentum. And who knows? There's a chance that one of these books can actually be pretty good.

Razort, Vanidor and kenar like this.
  2. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
  4. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure? Ohh well blame @AliceShiki

5. Refulgent

Refulgent Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to keep in mind that the only people that typically speak out really loudly are really on the extreme ends... either they really love something or hate something.

Kinda like this:
    :blobdevil::blobexpressionless: ~~ :blobawkward::blob_zipper_mouth::blobsmile: ~~ :blobxd::blob_pompom:

People who are neutral or just close to the middle in their opinion don't have nearly as much motivation to complain or praise something, why would you rant about a thing you only kind of care about? So it seems like it's a lot of people, but really it's a vocal minority.

6. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    empty buckets create the loud noises and all that...

7. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to be like that so I understand the feeling. Still don't know the reason though. Maybe it's this: having too many uncompleted stories is like covering your desk with half read books left open at the page you left off at. It looks messy, it's distracting, makes it harder to work, and feels wrong.
    For this example:
    Desk = your mind

Innieminnie and Vanidor like this.
  8. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm....I stick everything in labeled folders, then put all those folders into a generally labeled folder like misc.

Vanidor likes this.
  9. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hating on things is pleasurable. I think the English expression is "love to hate"

Theres a hypocrisy in what you're saying.
    If I read 5 chapters of a book and say "it sucks , screw this book" , you'd say "aww you didn't read till the good part" if you're a fan.

So for your sake and out of respect , I'll go and read it until it pisses me off completely.
    When that happens I have completely 0 guilt when I'm dog-piling on it and no regrets telling you that you enjoy shit.
    On top of that you have the full knowledge of what happens in the book , so you can argue every point.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    otaku31 and Vanidor like this.
  10. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, if you say you don’t like it after 5 chapters I’ll say okay, don’t torture yourself. I might say the tone changes at
    Chapter 100, but who wants to be miserable for 94 chapters between? I wouldn’t want to read those chapters, and I wouldn't do it. Too many other books out there.

But I can see that others might say keep reading.

otaku31 likes this.
  11. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't do it with a book personally, but for example.

I read 800 fking chapters of one-piece and I hated every moment of it...but...
    I have 800 chapters of ammunition to shit on that pile of garbage in the comment sections.
    Whenever I have a difficult day I can always shit on Onepiece , it's therapeutic.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    otaku31 and Vanidor like this.
  12. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand, you are a switch! M until fed up then switch to S mode!

More seriously, I could never do that. I do something similar in politics I guess when trolling but not that kind of timesink.

ZeroBlink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.