Discussion Why are CN readers so bloodthirsty?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Minarett, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blobina

Blobina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This brought whole different can of worms. Since this is still unresolved issue of how to interpret laws between natural laws "by spirit of laws" and formal laws "by black and white letters" traditions. Obviously, you and I are on different sides of the gulf since my beliefs are "The ends do not justify the means" and there are always different ways to do things. So let's not get dragged in this quagmire unresolved yet by even the best legal minds.
    In the case of general Chinese novels here, they were more likely went out their ways to wack more people first, long after the very first justifiable self-defense, and that hardly okay on both your and mine books, I presumed?

kenar and Nightow1 like this.
  2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is true.

3. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In CN novels if you leave 1 person alive, they multiply like rabbits and come back with a full clan to kill your family while you're in closed door cultivation.

That's why

Nightow1 likes this.
  4. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    WHo do you think benefitted from the concubines? It surely wasn't the emperor nope it was definitely the other people in the court! After all hundreds of women the emperor wouldn't see to them all~

5. Blobina

Reading List:
    Link
    Most courtiers didnot have their own harems with hundreds of beauties. On the rare cases, they were painted as greedy, lustful, corrupted, evil authority abusers. What made the emperors who shared the same symptoms labelled with something different, like "virtuous", "wise", "honourable", "heroic"? ("The whole package deal must be judged, or we would get a "hard-working, self-disciplined bank robber" as a virtuous person"). Unless such behaviour was permissable to only them because they were the biggest badasses, no one could stop them from doing whatever they want.

6. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still wondering how fast their reproduction rate is compared to the mass killing that is done by almost anyone in that world.

firefox1234 and Nightow1 like this.
  7. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah and they eat up "10,000 Year Old" plants like they were mass produced. I remember one series Duolo Dalu I think that covers a few generations, due to overharvesting of the spirits for spirit rings, the next series/generation all end up having to use other systems because they got farmed to near extinction.

"Look!! A 1,000 year old Ginseng! If we waited another 9,000 years it will become an immortal treasure!!!"
    "Nah, no time, I can't wait another 9,000 years *chomp!!!*"
    -No more future 10,000 year old Ginseng-

kenar likes this.
  8. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, sometimes I wish the MC wipes some clans, but in general, I think that most of the readers that wants massacres all the time are the new ones that likes these novels full of clichés. I have been reading novels for years and the common one no longer pleases me, after reading some masterpieces, the novel is no longer just about killing but more about the protagonist's Dao(path).

9. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I for one am numb to all the killing as long as the mc doesn't pardon some just because a woman is involved I still remember a novel a really loved at the start the mc was logical and smart but after 300 chapter he started acting out of character(although the novel was a mix match of various cliche's )the mc couldn't cultivate but was the son of the supreme being like the most powerful godking he has access to all the best medicines and techniques was highly intelligent and developed lots of techniques and cultivation manuals he later died and was reincarnated in the body of another genius that just died because his holy pulse was stolen and transfered to his cousin. The mc vowed revenge against those responsible and he fixed the body began to cultivate but clichè again his fiancée came to annul the marriage the mc was fine with it then she plotted to have him killed he spared her life she came back and tried again so he killed . he got into conflict with the crown prince of the kingdom (the prince is a vicious mass murdering psychopath but somehow is number 1 on the gentlemen's list) if he wants something you have to give him or you die. The father of the mc was captured and imprisoned when he tried to seek justice for his son because the royal family were in support of his cousins family. During a competition he challenged the prince to a death match and that was after the prince had tried to kill him before and also killed and multilated several people during the competition. Then he fought the fiancee of his cousin (she is the sister of the prince) during her battle she gave her opponents grave injuries and nearly killed them not to mention her cultivation level is higher than the mc) during her battle with the mc she tried every possible means to kill the mc using all sorts of vicious techniques and that's after the mc explained the grudge he has with his cousin (The problem between the mc and his cousin wasn't hidden and is common knowledge so its impossible for her to be ignorant about it she just doesn't care and wasn't bothered because she believes what ever the royal family allows or permits is right.) He defeated her by simply cutting of a ribbon she tied on her ankle then he kept it in his pocket , she wasn't injured on anyway. Then he fought and killed the crown prince. He went to another school in a higher realm and this same bitch princess was still an antagonistic towards the mc but he allows her to enter his room and he even gives her advice . he saved her life when her own father tried to kill her and apologizes to her after he killed her father that had just tried to wipe out his entire clan. While he was in the higher realm he experienced one student been abused both verbally and physically but he ignored it and said(if he can't stand up for himself then he's useless and won't go far in cultivation) but when that jade skin beauty was been insulted by some other beauty that came from a powerful rich background he slapped the other girl. Fast forward 500 chapters later another jade skinned beauty used a taboo technique that will make the male to lose all his cultivation and life force allowing the female to absorb it even absorbs special pyshique(the mc was aware so he used a reverse technique to works when your heart is broken) when he confronted her she admitted it without any remorse then activated the technique killing the mc who simply revived more powerful than before . She started spreading rumors about how he used and dumped her that he was heartless and such . when they meet again the mc did absolutely nothing about it he didn't expose her evil doing she's simply practicing the same technique as her mother and already has a new target( if it was a man that did that won't the mc had kept quiet even if it was been done to stranger's?) The mc was even setup by some stranger he just meet but he let her go without a scratch (she stole from another sect) then when the students from that sect attacked the mc because they were deceived instead of subduing them and explaining the mc choose to kill them without even blinking,

kenar likes this.
  10. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's if the person on question is a male when it is a female the mc will just ignore it. I remember one where the mc was the former medical sovereign before he died and was reincarnated . he was nearly killed by the younger sister of his teacher and the teacher in question is realms above him in terms of cultivation (he was refining pills in her room and might i add she literally threatened him to refine the pillwhen he succeeded she was so happy she cried the moment her younger sister walked in she instantly tried to kill her he was lucky to survive. She wasn't sorry neither was she remorseful 20 chapters later she tried to kill him again but the mc keeps giving her god tier pills cultivation techniques and teaches her cultivation this is the same mc that cripples people for talking back at him

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  11. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I see you too follow the dao of the text wall welcome brudda!

12. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dao-lord Maddox 9 is in the house

13. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean Chinese novel readers i.e readers who speak English?
    or
    Chinese readers who live in China and speak Mandarin?

If you mean those who live in China, then it is just repressed aggression. Since you cant do things like criticizing the government.
    People have to channel their frustrations somewhere.
    If you mean Western Chinese novel readers who speak English, well they just need to get out of their basement and go have sex
    [​IMG]

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that it's all about how certain readers invest into these stories. Or at least that's how I interpret all of the "Character A should have done X instead of Y" or all those people who take it too personally when anything bad happens to the protagonist. I think that is a relatively understandable way to read fiction but I don't think it's very constructive because it sort of misses the point of what fiction is supposed to be about.

I doubt anyone on NU is particularly interested in how actual Chinese readers react to these books.

kenar and Wujigege like this.
  15. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I for one am guilty of that but I have stopped doing it. Now when I read a novel I just read it no more emotional attachments or feelings involved if the story doesn't pan out according to the synopsis or if the mc begins to act out of character I simply abandon it and then try to look for another one to read

16. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Not saying Westerners shouldn't have an opinion becuase some people will hve an opinion no matter what you do or say. The only thing that is important, for authors at least, is that it is the Chinese readers who pay for this stuff so they get what they what. I am still confused on what people with Western ideals want with these kind of novels. Maybe a Chinese Tolkien or Martin?

17. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Being emotionally invested in a story is a double edge sword. More so for readers. I get that some do invest but the most irritating are the preachers.

18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that it's just a matter of familiarity. Chinese books use themes and value systems that are pretty different from what you'd see in Western stories so something that is less different can feel more comfortable. One big one can be as simple as names that are easier to parse in English. I find that pinyin names look like goobledygook, and I have a hard time deciphering them even though I read Chinese books in the original. I can only imagine how hard it is for people reading translations to have a good grasp of all of the characters.

19. Sunspawn

Sunspawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Comment sections being filled with bloodthirsty readers is not unique to CN novels - 99% of readers I encounter in them are always foaming at the mouth at whatever new opposition appears before their self-insert... wait, the protagonist, gleefully anticipating how the protagonist will f*** them over and dance over their ashes... even in novels that show a propensity to subverting reader expectations.

20. Blobina

Reading List:
    Link
    "We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting." - Khalil Gibran.
    I'm still waiting for Chinese beauty. But amazonesses, dominatrixes, delinquents and pitchfork crowds showed up.
    It... it's not like I'm enjoying this show~ :blobpopcorn:

Nightow1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.