Anti-virus please!!

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Sawanara murasaki, Sep 27, 2019.

1. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really get what you wrote, but if your computer is already infected with a virus, installing the anti-virus after the fact most likely will not fix the problems the virus caused. It is better to reinstall the os. It is possible to clean up and fix it up in some cases, but you need to do things manually, no antivirus will just restore the system to a perfect condition if there are problems. It would be much better for you to ask someone who knows what they are doing to fix it, or bring it to a service center.

2. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
  3. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As many have said. Windows defender works as a decent base.
    Malwarebytes Anti Malware is excellent all around and can clean most infected computes.
    A good adblocker (I use AdGuard Adblocker).
    CCleaner helps sometimes to clean conflictive registries.
    Good common sense is THE BEST and allows you to PREVENT viruses, use it.
    EDIT: Malwarebytes Anti Malware has a recovery mode in which it reboots your pc and does a deepscan before booting everything, that recovers most fucked up computers.

Sabruness likes this.
  4. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    I use Kaspersky + Malwarebytes + ublock origin (which blocks nearly all ads, as well as all iframes and scripts by default)
    And a VPN if need be.

5. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    windows defender and avast is enough for me.
    Sometimes perform scan using superantispyware.

6. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing of it will work on long term.
    Most of this agressive things do some real nasty things with the windows registry if you do not have much data on the disk just put a new windows on it, it fast and safer as some of this snake oil anti-virus.
    If you have data on the disk try to use other PC and use the "infested" disk as Harddrive and copy the data that you need and reinstal windows after it. ( The problem could be if you have the HDD entcrypted...)
    If you have problem with reinstaling of windows because it says there is a newer version so f*** of user we do not do it (it started with widows 7)
    Just instal/start instalation of any Linux distribution and instal Windows after it so the live DVD(USB) do not see a "operation system".

I do not have a AV on my PC/Laptops and over last decade i do not got any virus or other spy software other then Windows itself thats try to "scan for updates". Know it form CPU, HDD and Network capacity changes.

7. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Avast.

Free version picks up ransomeware, scripts, etc.

I’m a professional, I know what I’m talking about. If you download from sites we’re not supposed to talk about on NUF, for *cough* ePubs and PDFs, you need avast. :whistle:

:blobpats:

8. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use kaspersky lap for most of my device. It's kinda costly for a antiviral. 1 pc cost about 100usd for a year and a bit more for 3 years.

As some one who have mutiple device it is quite a hole in the wallet.

9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do you assume you have a virus? The point of a virus is to go unnoticed by anyone who uses the computer. If your computer is locking up for minutes at a time, it's more likely to be a hardware or software issue. Try opening up task manager and see if anything is eating all your CPU time or all of your memory. Also, check to see if your hard drive is almost full.

If you're running Windows 8 or newer, Windows Defender is all most people need. Windows Defender is free and comes with Windows. If you want a second opinion on if your computer is infected, try the free version of MalwareBytes.

Sabruness likes this.
  10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreeing to everyone else. Windows Defender (also known as Windows Security on Win10) these days is as good as even the top paid AVs on the market.

I also use Win defender on Win 10 with Malwarebytes as a backup if i need it + 3 adblockers.

11. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I use avast free version but I turned it off for like a week and downloaded a bug to my computer on accident T_T.

12. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    live used for several years...never had a problem. Did you accidentally turn it off?:p

13. TiggerBane

Reading List:
    Link
    Turned it off on purpose left it off for a week on accident got malware T_T. The malware got through my windows defender which was still on as well T_T. The malware screws with my internet by making it turn off and on again every 30 minutes to an hour. Luckily going to wipe soon tho.

userunfriendly likes this.
  14. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    If your primary browser is not IE, use revo uninstaller to do a full uninstall (use all the options) and reinstall your browser. Sounds like a browser malware...hard to defeat if installed. This is how I fixed. :D

15. TiggerBane

Reading List:
    Link
    I need to do a full wipe of the computer and get a new windows thing cause the old one works only for a laptop that exploded and I'm running it on a desktop.

userunfriendly likes this.