Question How often you get emotionally attached to a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Zeusomega, Oct 15, 2019.

?

Emotionally attached to a novel

1. Every time

2. Now and then

3. Nope, none reached my heart

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently I saw how some are uncomfortable with bad endings.

So it got me thinking, how often people get emotionally attached to a novel.

I for one get attached if it had all of my fav tropes, and very suspenseful.

2. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    The walls of ma hart r impenitrouble

boppity, hmod and UnknownSaint171 like this.
  3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get emotionally attached, but I do walk away with a good memory of that novel if it was a good in my opinion. stellar transformation was one such novel for me, but maybe it was because it was one of my first novels. TDG was my first Chinese novel.

4. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes I guess, depends on the characters and how it all develops, that's also why I often quit once a character does something out of character, just to progress the plot, be it doing something stupid or similar

5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I do get emotionally attached to novels from time to time but I get over it quickly

6. Guillotine

Guillotine Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There has to be a good novel for me to be attached to it. Every novel here is average at best.

Sunspawn likes this.
  7. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say I get attached but I do react to the novel. If something sad happens I cry and laugh if something funny happens.

8. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    It is really dependent on what kind of novel, no? If it is against the tone of what they are writing then I may not even like a happy end. With novels with themes of revenge, I feel like a bad end could be well done.

9. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends, is this about a cicada that reincarnated as a dragon who got madly in love with a sacred tree?

Is this about a servant that got a job as a mother to a teacher that reincarnated in another world where he went about teaching new alumni?

then its quite often...........if not, NEVAH!

SilverFeather likes this.
  10. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    it's a bit rare but some really stick with me.
    it doesn't even have to be the best novel i've read, but usually it does have to be finished to stay with me properly (which it's why it's rare lol)
    for example a manga that honestly isn't the best i've read but did stick with me is hekikai no aion

PaladinWolf likes this.
  11. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    Once in awhile but not often
    It happens quickly but it can also end quickly depending on the novel

Snowbun likes this.
  12. cktulica

cktulica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if a good book doesn't destroy you emotionally leaving you a depressed wreck for the rest of the day. is it even a good book?

GDLiZy, Snowbun and Lolistalker like this.
  13. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me put it this way: if I don't care by the end that I'm getting a sad ending where a main character dies, then it wasn't that good of a novel.

14. Japorea

Japorea Resident BL Enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to avoid bad endings or tragedy because real life sucks and I don't want my fantasy world to be like that too. So I knowingly only get attached to novels with a satisfying/happy ending.

Snowbun likes this.
  15. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the plot and characters and it's rare.. I think I get attached more to CN novel than JP novel, if it's in historical genre..

Zeusomega likes this.
  16. Neneee

Neneee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I get attached in the sense that it seems like the novel is breaking my heart and I find myself crying along (for example "One Night, One Day, One Year, One Lifetime" really broke me), however in general I'm an "active reader" ie I usually laugh out loud when it's funny or complain to some stuffed animal about the plot line or so on...
    But I also get over it quite quickly, though with some novels I always have that feeling of a heartache when I think of them...

17. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. I get excited sure becuase I want to know what happens next. More often when I browae spoilers I keep an open mind unless its something personal attached or happened to me. However, spoiler threads or chats are mine of reader emotions so its hard to parse and gwt the info tou need.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  18. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a good book however that only counts as our opinion. Other opinions have differing ideas. Them you have the peiple who have their own idea of what constitute of what a good book is.

19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that this happens in three different ways. The first, and the one that comes readily to mind is from good emotional writing. This doesn't happen all that often because the writer has to create a character that readers can empathize with. It's something a lot of writers struggle all their lives to achieve; often never really managing it. And these attempts sometimes lead us to:

Emotionally manipulative writing. What usually happens in this case is that the writer doesn't have the skill to make emotionally resonating characters so he instead tries to artificially create emotion. The easiest and most common way to do this is to create a secondary character so dastardly that it angers the reader; thereby creating emotion by association. I despise this kind of writing.

Finally, we have writers accidentally creating emotion. The way it usually works is that the writer is trying to say something thematically or philosophically but the audience doesn't buy it. This is often bad enough that it ruins the entire story.

20. Sunspawn

Sunspawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do remember a few times I was literally crying at points in a story, though can't for the life of me remember which ones they were. Translated eastern amateur novels are typically on the level of bad fanfiction, so they rarely evoke emotion from readers, but some that are good can make you emotionally invested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.