How to be a good tutor?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Naruin, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    Just speed cram the hard stuff and explain briefly as questions arise instead? Go over sample problems?

Lurking likes this.
  2. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We really should have a sign in the forum...”Please Do Not Feed the Animals”.

what were you thinking posting a question like that?:facepalm:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

3. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    feed animals? *headtilts*

thinking? me turned into some cool n smart looking bro!! +.+!
    *cough*
    .... already panicking.. _| ̄|○
    my extra allowances... TT

userunfriendly likes this.
  4. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunt worry, u still can beg on streets

Naruin and userunfriendly like this.
  5. TokioftheBel

TokioftheBel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The trick I have with math is to understand the concept behind and try to translate it in a way I could understand it.

For example, for negative times negative = positive, I think of it like someone have their back to the wall (facing the wall representing positive) and turn around again. Now they're facing the wall. Thus multiplying with a negative means just turning their back from someone.

So this is the kind of stuff I would want out of a tutor, of course this is me and I don't know how your cousin likes to learn. I hope this helps in some way.

Question: What math are you teaching?

Naruin, blues86 and mir like this.
  6. blues86

blues86 [Pickle's numba wan follower]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think everthing have been said, but what @mir said is the point. Motivation is the key, if they have motivation to study then whatever you throw at them, they will try to catch it. If they don't have motivation then you have to give them motivation first.
    Actually I also tutoring a few students and there's one kid who doesn't have any motivation. He is already in junior high school. Whenever I ask him a question, he always answer 'I dont know'. One day I asked him 4+6= and yes, he answered 'I don't know' and at that point I wanted to grap him and yell at him and curse him. Then he said 'I don't want to study, but my parents force me', I realized I was doomed. A kid like this need extra attention and extra patience. At least he is quite sharp.
    Let me tell you, tutoring a not quite sharp student with big motivation is so much better than tutoring a smart student with zero motivation.
    Thankfully now he has a bit motivation, although it's not really good motivation.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  7. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    everyone has given you pretty much good advices, nice~
    If your cousin acted like that, I think you need to do some evaluation about your teaching first, give her a quick exercise, and set the rules before you start to study. Be frank and keep remind her that if she didn't ask sth she doesn't understand, she wouldn't make a significant progress. And make sure the session doesn't stressed her out too much..

Naruin, Lurking and blues86 like this.
  8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Spread out the teaching material on your bed. Then rehearse the session on your own as you try to teach the air aloud. If even at this moment you find yourself unable to teach yourself, then the lesson will most definitely not be understood by your students.

To teach others, you need to teach yourself first. If even you find your explanation hard to understand, it will be even harder for your student. Understand the subject matter and understand that the delivery is important too.

TokioftheBel, Naruin, Lurking and 2 others like this.
  9. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't scream at them for not understanding what u teach.

TokioftheBel, Naruin, Lurking and 2 others like this.
  10. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

Like, even when it isnt me being hollared at for not learning good i lose motivation and stuff from being in the vicinity

TokioftheBel and Naruin like this.
  11. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Er, speaking as someone who has a similar problem to your cousin, it's not that we "want the answer" simply as we simply can't see it. I can do a trigonometry equation in a huge circle and get back to the original equation, just can't see the way out to get to the end point. Even today I still have problems with that and I'm a double degree holder. Some people just don't have the eye for it, it's something to do with how you think and the thought processes you go through.

TokioftheBel and Lurking like this.
  12. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno. Even on one step alone it would be like that.
    Like subtracting two whole numbers (example: 20 - 11 = ?) with objects as visual help, but still it was like that.
    Also he would just put random numbers as the answers when I told him that since I had already shown him several examples of how to do it, that he needed to try and do the rest on his own. (sometimes just putting random numbers without even looking at the question)
    I know people can be better at worse at certain things, but it really felt like he had given up on it. But maybe I have trouble understanding because of my perspective being different.
    As someone who struggles with math, do you think that my example is the same as what you are describing?

Lurking likes this.
  13. Naruin

Reading List:
    Link
    whattttt?! you'll let ur oppa beg on the streets?! *shocked* *sobs while making a carton placard* *waits infront of quin's doorsteps*

I've given her lots of basic math exercises for now... (multiplying/dividing 3 digit numbers...) coz I noticed last night that she didn't know how to multiply big numbers yet..
    and.. her exam will need her to do so many of it.. =.="

+1 too!! my other aunt teaches her kid that way... and it's hard to concentrate on something when I was near them at those times...

Lurking and Qiun like this.
  14. Naruin

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all the useful advice!!! I kinda know how to approach now!! *cough* *related some math concepts to love..* (/.\)

TokioftheBel and Qiun like this.
  15. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *throws piggy bank full of hard earned monthly allowance*

16. Qiun

Qiun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe u can use carrot and stick method? Some kind of rewarding system?