Discussion Do you often read dropped novels knowing they won't be finished, and if so why?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ProdigyOrion, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProdigyOrion

ProdigyOrion Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to always want an ending in sight to what I read, but I took a look at I'm Really a Superstar and it kinda interested me even though its been banned. I'm wondering if its the same with other people, do you read them even if they are unfinished and may never be? I have the same issue with novels in translation, I can't bring myself to read chapter by chapter. Is it like this for you all?

2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While the number of completely translated novels continues to grow, they will always be a tiny fraction of the novels being translated here. It’s basically impossible to limit yourself to those.

In addition, many of the novels being translated are still ongoing in their country of origin. The fraction for these being completed is significantly larger, but still only a fraction.

Neither the translator nor the author is guaranteed to finish their work. Ever. So you have two points of failure for the significant majority of these novels: the translator, and the author. Either one of them could stop at any time, for any reason, and the novel - as far as you’re concerned - ends there.

Better just get used to reading stories without endings.

checkm8 and mir like this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe... if the novel is interesting

4. Chainlink289

Chainlink289 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I read dropped novel to search for idea to make my own novel since some of those dropped novel have a good story until something goes wrong.

5. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    Not yet, but i probably will if it's quick wear. It's episodic. I can pretend it's ended at any arc... Well, as long as it's more than 3 arcs...

6. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't start reading anything till 10-20 chapters in because so many get dropped 2 or 3 chapters in.

mir likes this.
  7. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually prefer reading stories without an end. I always feel a deep pain whenever a series actually concludes instead of just leaving me in that wierd limbo of the novel being "active".

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  8. mlongue

mlongue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say for sure. I tend to avoid novels that stopped the translations or was droped by the author. Until now never happened to read one that would have no end, but probably if the story is interesing and well made I would give it a try.
    And there is novels with a end that simple continue to do the same thing over and over, a new young master of powerful clan waiting to try to mess with mc just to get his clan killed. and that over and over. those I drop. Against the Gods had that. I liked it very much but mc was always after trouble, he said it would make him stronger faster but still a repeat of everything.

9. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done it a few times when I was on a mini fanfic reading spree. All of them dropped yet I read em anyways.

10. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    game market 1983 keeps getting dropped and I would still read it even if it was dropped 1-2 chapters after.

Averroes93 likes this.
  11. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember Tales of the Reincarnated Lord, although I'm not quite sure if that was the title of the novel. It was axed and the author was stopped from writing it, but it stopped at a time when the ending was already visible, just needing a few more arcs to show it gets there. It was still a good read, did not regret reading it as it's already rare enough for me to even find readable novels nowadays.

12. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I read them, most of the time there is a valid reason they where dropped though, they are simply bad. For stories, in general, I just read if it´s interesting and drop them when I "think" I have a clear picture of what the story is about. Not like I feel a need to finish a story if I feel it´s bad.

You dont mention ongoing stories, how do you feel about them? They may or might never be finished.

Do I regret reading HxH or Berserk even if they are incomplete? No.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    mir likes this.
  13. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    These days, if I drop something, I tend to let it remain dropped... Earlier, I used to come back to them after a year or so just to check up.

ProdigyOrion likes this.
  14. caffeinefocus

caffeinefocus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easier to do so in webnovels rather than in traditionally published ones. One reason is the lack of clear plot and end goal in sight of the main characters in most webnovels (that I read) and how the storylines are divided by arcs and are episodic by nature. I just treat the conclusion of a particular great arc as the "end". For those still ongoing with hundreds (and sometimes, thousands) of chapters, I usually get tired of reading before I reach halfway of the work and thereby, does not experience the frustration of reaching the last chapter and realizing that it's been dropped by the author or the translator.

checkm8 and Sircus like this.
  15. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese web novels sort of don't have endings by default, and I have no problem picking them up. And of the ones that do have endings I don't have much expectation of reading them to that point. Chinese web novels do have endings but they tend to not be particularly interesting so it's a fairly trivial point. Hell, some of them are so bad that I'd prefer it if the author stopped before the finale.

Sircus likes this.
  16. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    If the original work is in chinese, I will read it instead of reading the translated work.

Same goes if I can read japanese and korean, I kinda just use NU as a selection pool, only those worthy to be translated deserves to be read.

I will read the dropped novels provided I find the premise interesting, then proceed to curse at the author and his extended family for making me hard and leave me hanging. Then wish for someone to continue the work and stop wishing after I recall the shitstorm Master of All in RRL.

17. porkbuns

porkbuns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More often than not, I tend not to finish most stories that I start reading. I read up to a certain point and something causes me to stop, sometimes for a little while and sometimes indefinitely (whether I get burned out and bored of the story, or a certain decision by the author causes me to stop). These days I usually give works a go, as long as the synopsis interests me. Surprisingly, I tend to derive more enjoyment from works that have no ending (enjoy it while the plot is still good and end it desiring more chapters) than ones with a preset ending that often leaves you feeling disappointing.

These days, I've transitioned to reading fanfiction, due to being burned out on CN/JP/KR novels. Frankly, a lot of fanfiction never get finished; I finish reading what's available and end up desiring more. Since, most of the stories will never get finished, I just move on to the next new thing.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Sircus and mir like this.
  18. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how much time I already invested.
    I dont really read dropped novels though. Unless ive been reading it since the start and the author decided to remake or drop it.

ProdigyOrion likes this.
  19. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know anything about this. Could you elaborate on what happened?
    ------
    For my answer to this thread, I am like @porkbuns

ProdigyOrion likes this.
  20. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    usually not. i've read a few that ended up gettin dropped early/mid binge, but going into it, i probably won't bother if i i know it'll never continue.

ProdigyOrion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.