Discussion Conducting Business Today

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Evil_Ginger, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    So I currently attend a college to learn about business. And there are a few things I have learned that seems to carry over to other classes even when discussing different topics, such as economics and law.

And I wanted to share those big key points and discuss what people thinks about them.

• Morality: One of the major things each class tries to hammer in during the first few weeks is the ability to determine morally acceptable actions and choosing between immoral actions. This can be seen in a Cost-Benefit Analysis, but they don't seem to add all of the variables. Then again, it is hard to know just what our actions will cause others to think. And I like to use the fable with the man, his son, and the donkey. You can't please everyone. This was not mentioned in any of my classes. How are we to identify what actions we should ignore and what should we go with? This is not taught in any of my courses, as people change over time, which means society, that determines the morality, also changes. The classes don't teach us what to identify, but how to identify.

• Numbers: Numbers are a key thing for businesses, as that is how one calculates their profit. There can be a lot of math involved, but more importantly, what I have discovered, businesses place a lot more importance on the numbers, on the results. This means quantity is almost always above quality. And I don't know about you, but it feels harder and harder to actually get quality anymore because it has become so easy to understand how wasteful and a loss of money making those kinds of things can be. Yeah. I said it. The only ones that can make high quality goods are the companies that can make their consumers purchase their goods at that price. But what do we see? Cheap things are given the label of 'high quality' along with an expensive price tag and we just eat it up like halloween candy.
    This leads into my next and last key point.

• Consumer Interaction: A company these days needs to focus on one thing and one thing only if they want to make money. The consumer. The customer. We are taught that before we know what we want to sell, we need to find what would people buy. In order to make more sales, it is shown that repeat customers will bring in more profits. This means that businesses compete for customers and competes with customers in order to bring them in and keep them in. If this isn't done, if advertising isn't purchased, if a business shows that it doesn't have a willingness to communicate with customers...that business will eventually end. And probably quickly.
    Oh yeah, I mentioned it. The issue with companies siding with China. Regardless REGARDLESS of your political, moral, religious viewpoint, from a strictly economical perspective, these major businesses need to keep their connections to china in order to make money. But why? We need to understand this. Using the information I listed from above, we can see that there might be other information we don't see. For example, the many Americans in China working with them might become hostages if a situation turns sour. A lot of America's imports come from China, meaning life in the U.S. will become harder. Oh, can't forget the fact that employees of those businesses also need pay. There are too many attachments that these businesses have that we can't automatically fault people for their actions without knowing the full story. Does that make it right? Nope. Now then, enough of that topic, I was merely using it as an example of what I believe is a modern use of the three points I mentioned above and I want to keep this thread related to business actions that modern companies make.
    I want to know if anyone disagrees that these three points are important to companies and if there is anything else a business should keep in mind in order to succeed.

:blobowoevil: I mean :blobpopcorn: no, I mean:blobsmile: yeah.

mir, Pyoo, Snowbun and 9 others like this.
  2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Profit is the only thing that matters when running a business. :blobpopcorn: You only need to maintain a facade for morality and consumer interaction. :blobpeek:

3. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    In my understanding, business is about how to scam them from buying your product and how much money you can squeeze from them.

Moral is shit in a real business.
    You can buy the life of a person with money now, life is nothing but one of the product you can have with enough money in your pocket.

4. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Turn up that national anthem up to 11 and get that cash flowing faster.

5. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds to me like people don't like capitalism.
    images (2).jpeg

TiggerBane likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I was under the impression you were learning how to ferment milk:hmm:

7. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    Behind the veil of capitalism is a bunch of dirty works.
    From hypocrisy, deceit, immoral acts, and etc.

Business isn't about rainbows and candies.
    Business is about profiting from your own grandmother's ashes

BigBadBoi, KizunaAi and Evil_Ginger like this.
  8. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm learning how to make a business out of it

9. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    The edge in these answers, it's cutting me. When this guy is talking about consumer interaction, it's obvious that he's not talking about multinationals or global capitalism. If you let the people in this thread start up a local business, they'd be either lynched or tried in court within a month. I guess they're all CEOs. They could use some optimism.

10. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Finally, someone who knows the Rules of Acquisition!

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at Bill Gates, its after you have made profits that you can buy a moral image rather easily.
    When was the last time, you heard an IT student saying they want to become the next Mother Teresa?

With enough money you can buy the best morality and buy the best customer interaction startup or competitor

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  12. thekingofgamez

thekingofgamez [He who makes others cough up blood in anger!]

Reading List:
    Link
    profit is key thats the reason slavery was so good for almost anyone in business. The only way to make money is exploitation of your employees anyways thats why alot of places have part time workers instead of full time so they can cut down on costs they dont have to pay insurance etc. the ones that do have it try and keep costs down like make them do more than what they get hired to do and keep them at minimum wage or close to it. they only jobs that get paid well are the jobs that make the owner more money. the owner of a company will spend 100k a year on an employee if they can generate the company 500k +. Morality aside with enough money you can always do donations to things like red cross buy new stuff for poor people ie clothes , computers for schools and all less than the cost of an employee with the tax benefits of doing so. there's a reason that they say money makes the world go round and round .

13. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a harsh life :blobsweat_2::blobjoy:

14. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems that people are misunderstanding what business actually is. Business' main goal is profit. What I am discussing is how to get profit. I'm going to straight up ignore useless and off topic comments too so just a warning.
    Things like this aren't what this thread is about mind you.

otaku31 likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Your ideals are simply ideals.
    Reality works otherwise.
    Anyway, best of luck to you

16. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? So says the money grubber lol

But what does that have to do with making money? Having a conversation on how people spend their money after making it is not what this thread is about. It has nothing to do with ideals.

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have to result to personal insults then it shows that your argument has no legs to stand on.
    This is really pathetic.
    Grow up. People will disagree with you, thats how reality works.
    And I think you need to look up your dictionary on what ideals mean.
    Over and out!

P.S I dont consider money grubber an insult by the way. I consider it a compliment.
    Cheers!

18. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    :facepalm: I wasn't exactly insulting you either.

When I ask how to succeed at business, which is to make money, and people respond with "make money" or "people use their money to get away with stuff" that doesn't exactly answer my question. And then when I say so and you say
    This has little to do with what I said at all.

It is confusing and off topic as well. I'm not talking about ideals. I'm talking about methods and if people agree with what i said. Those aren't ideals, they are methods. Solutions. Ideals are beliefs. Like saying, "these lucky underwear of mine will make today swell" that is a belief, the ideal you so mention.

I'm not entirely sure what ideals have to do with my topic so.

Yeah.

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    raccoon bread.jpg
    sure the problem is for how long?
    so far it seem there no much change especially on place where consumersism is high and there big company
    still time change... custumer service that is where my concern
    I live at place where most income come from tourism sector, decade ago with bad customer service you still can relax but now? too many competitors not mention online travel and thing like google maps, mobile aps and many more the way to service tourist become troublesome especially younger one which more adept using technology and social media
    it also bring me into online shopping platforms which again there many of it to point amazon is just one of it

since I more adept on governing stuff can't talk too much about bussines still as long as bussiness can play along with goverment I guess all is well
    at least on country where corruption still a big problem

perhaps for big company customer service is not problem but for small one based on experience that big concern

Bad Storm and Evil_Ginger like this.
  20. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the controversial segment set most of this off. It's kind of a touchy subject.

"This was not mentioned in any of my classes. How are we to identify what actions we should ignore and what should we go with? This is not taught in any of my courses, as people change over time, which means society, that determines the morality, also changes."

I think it 100% depends on what group of people you are targeting as clientele. While simply vaguely appealing to everyone is sort of needed to reach mainstream success, when push comes to shove, you need to reinvigorate your core. Simply doing actions that please them isn't it either : they need to know you've done it. You can think of simple things like In-And-Out catering to its core people who enjoy cheap burgers that fuel local economies, by using paper bags with a list of charities it donates to, appealing to the American ideals of individual charity (as opposed to 'guvment handouts). The reason why companies like Blizzard and individuals get LeBron received such insane backlash for their choices is because their core audiences cultivated by words they said in the past feel like they got slapped in the face. No one would be surprised or care as much if EA kowtowed to China as it groveled for pennies.

"The only ones that can make high quality goods are the companies that can make their consumers purchase their goods at that price. But what do we see? Cheap things are given the label of 'high quality' along with an expensive price tag and we just eat it up like halloween candy."'

I think a part of this is companies abusing the psychology of people who associate higher price with higher quality. All you need is a good wrapping and a bowtie on top, and you can sell your crystallized turd for a few hundred bucks. Ofc people might learn after awhile but I feel like this actually becomes an industry cycle more than anything. When I was a kid, used car salesmen were the boogeyman of people who needed an example of untrustworthy businessmen. This lead to apps and online info for easy car comparisons, and all of a sudden used car salesmens' integrity is marketable. I'd imagine when I'm old enough to have grandkids, this will flip once more for some unforeseen reason.

"A company these days needs to focus on one thing and one thing only if they want to make money. The consumer. The customer. We are taught that before we know what we want to sell, we need to find what would people buy. In order to make more sales, it is shown that repeat customers will bring in more profits. This means that businesses compete for customers and competes with customers in order to bring them in and keep them in. If this isn't done, if advertising isn't purchased, if a business shows that it doesn't have a willingness to communicate with customers...that business will eventually end. And probably quickly."

This is especially true in this day and age where people are getting lonelier and lonelier. Remember your customers and their needs is pretty crucial in customer retention. Ofc, not every customer will be as susceptible to a nice trustworthy businessman who remembers them, but I think if you build up a good enough base, barring huge changes in the market, you'll probably have a solid base for long term business.

Anyways, I'm not a business owner, I've only ever taken one business course, etc. etc. Basically take my words with ten tons of salt. That's just my view on things.

Snowbun and Evil_Ginger like this.