Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Miku, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    well i didnt understand a thing but i like QooApp :aww:

3. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you try downloading to pc and transfering to android btw? To give example many apks allow download to pc

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

Before I answer this question, what are you trying to do? If its just to run android stuff, use an emulator. If you want to use android on your PC as a full time thing, maybe ChromeOS which runs android apps would be a better choice.

Android x86 is barebone because it wasn't meant to be run without modification. It is base AOSP. There are android x86 versions that have more stuff in them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  5. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what "adding to your pc" means... But the source of your problem is probably that wget doesn't support SSL (for HTTPS) iirc. So you might want to download the necessary repository externally...

6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you getting out of running Android-x86 that you couldn't get from running Chrome OS or using an Android Emulator?

The Android-x86 project is cool. I'm just having trouble understanding why you want to run that, specifically, when other, easier options exist for the most common usecases.

7. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    VMs run as well as they can with the resources allocated to them. If you allocate one core and 1 GB of memory, just about anything will suck to use. I've never run an Android emulator inside of a VM, but I doubt there'd be a huge performance penalty as long as you dedicate enough resources to the VM. As long as you have virtualization turned on for your CPU in your BIOS, most of the Android emulators will play most things at a reasonable frame-rate. I've run into some slowdowns in some of the really graphically intensive games, but for the most part, an emulator will run an apk about as well as an actual phone.

My next question would be, if you're running an emulator, why even bother running it in a VM? Unless you're running a bare metal hypervisor, why not just run it on the host OS?

EDIT:
    Here's one of the better Android emulators for Linux: https://www.genymotion.com/fun-zone/
    And my recommendation for Windows: https://www.bluestacks.com/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I missed that part in your earlier posts.
    To address your original question: I haven't used Qubes before. I found this after a few minutes of searching through the documentation on the Qubes site: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/copying-files/

EDIT:
    Forgot to explain why I included that link. Download adb and save it in one of your AppVMs. Then copy it to your android-x86 guest via dom0.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  9. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Miku why are you trying to get an x86 to run androids x86, from what I know android is not really like a full linux.
    you can still use sudo apt-get install right?
    check if you have wget package installed.

oh they have it build in, I don't really know now lol.
    not really an android fan. never use anything other than Debian, Ubuntu or Cent-OS. maybe try --no-check-certificate.
    This is a shit post btw

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  10. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's a lot of work to emulate a hybrid of microkernel and docker on linux...

now, to the actual matter.
    You are really asking this on the wrong forum. Why are you asking something this complex on the web novel forum, of all places? There are specialized web-sites for this.

I haven't built android before, but this is what I was able to gather. One, you can actually compile it, but why do you think you can get f-droid that way? The apps are generally not getting compiled into the kernel, especially with that architecture. I actually don't know if you can do with android, but do you know for a fact it's an option?
    Does your android vm recognize flash drives, etc? You can try to emulate a disk and hook it up to your android and just drop the apk there. You can also potentially try to connect your development environment to the android install and transfer an apk that way.

Sounds to me, like you might need to install a driver or something to your installation that you can connect to external devices and just drop in the apk.

There are also should be a way to just drop files from your main OS into android. It might be just a setting somewhere that allows you to do it...

11. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main draw of the Qubes architecture is that every guest VM is isolated from every other guest. I've never used Qubes before, but even if shared storage is an option, I wouldn't use it, as it would degrade the security schema of the OS. You can use dom0 to move files between the different VMs, but the OS of the guest VM has to be compatible with the Qubes guest tools (similar to VMware's VMware Tools) for that to work. Qubes only officially supports Debian and Fedora. I'm guessing that android-x86 isn't going to work with that.

I've also never played with Android-x86 since Android emulators can do the same thing with fewer bugs and issues. As far as I understand it, android-x86 is largely just an AOSP kernel patch. What the OP is doing is cooking an Android ROM with the modified kernel. You should just be able to include the f-droid apk in the ROM that you build.

An alternative the OP might want to consider is Bliss OS. It's also something I haven't used, but it seems like a more user-friendly version of android-x86.

I do agree that this forum is not the best place to ask questions about running an esoteric version of Android on top of an equally esoteric OS. XDA, the Qubes forum, or the android-x86 Google group would be more appropriate areas to ask this question.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  12. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's interesting, but from what I saw Qubes actually boots into an os and kinda acts as a high-level hypervisor. There should be an exchange of signals of some kind between the host and the guest VM. If everything is completely isolated, that would make one useless OS.
    From experience, if you are going to compile the kernel and add packages to it, you better actually plan on using it or doing something serious. Plus of something breaks, you might have to recompile everything again. Just not worth it, unless that's your job

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qubes is a bare metal hypervisor running on Xen. It uses an administrative Linux VM to manage the guests. For security purposes, it's great. But the whole balance of security vs. usability is an absolute mess if you're not using the flavors of Linux that Qubes supports. It's the main reason I haven't used it. If you're not running either of the supported flavors of Linux, you're basically just running Xen. No Windows support is a non-starter for me, and dual-booting Windows would diminish the security aspect of Qubes.

Agreed. For my purposes, it'd be a whole lot of work for nothing since Android emulation works as well, if not better, than using a kernel patch that doesn't support graphics acceleration, HDMI audio, and many other features that Android emulators have supported for years. Maybe the OP has a use for running Android natively on x86, but I can't come up with any good reasons off the top of my head.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  14. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, I see. I never looked much into it since I figured that it's not something I need. Really sounds like a narrow-purposed system. In that case you really gotta see your options with the android and somehow download the apk or compile it

yea.. maybe just liking the software so much? Dunno. I also don't see the reason why I would do it. Maybe it's a school project or something... or a job :D

15. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can't you just install whatsapp on your os ? Your contacts are saved on their server, so whatever way you have that app, they will be saved...

16. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they have apps for windows and mac, the official linux support is limited to the webb, but why does that matter? Not really much different having it in your browser or a different app.
    There is also https://volt-app.com/ that supposedly supports whatsapp. And this https://meetfranz.com/
    I was able to find those within 1 minute of search... surely there is a better way to use a messenger other than to compile an OS for it? And well, what's wrong with the emulator in this case? The emulator will work just fine

17. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1. Emulation should be plenty for your purposes. You can also look into Bliss OS. It's basically a desktop version of Android.

18. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that all of the clients are just front-end for the web. And I think the way it works, you need a phone to activate a new install, and possibly a major upgrade of the desktop/online version, but then you won't need it. I am also unsure if you install it on a device that does not have a mobile number that you would be able to just use it.