Novel The Familiar of Fate: Prologue - Chapter 28✩

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by jokerybokery595, Sep 28, 2019.

Tags:
?

Think I should post it as a full story? I have 10 chapters ready

1. Sure? I Don't Really Care

80.0%
  2. Nah...

30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck :blobsmilehappy:

2. jokerybokery595

jokerybokery595 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks man, glad to know I’m appreciated. Gonna log off for tonight gotta wake up for class in the morning

3. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey Kalto, I just posted the first three chapters on Wattpad along with a new cover! I'm still currently writing chapter 15 though, it took me a hell of a long time to figure out the best shadings. And the fact that I had to swap from adobe illustrator to Firealpaca didn't help(Adobe's setup sucks ass).

4. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    So you picked wattpad, good choice I suppose :hmm:
    Did you change the title? couldn't find you there :blobunsure:

5. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    It's, 'The Familiar of Fate'

6. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 15 - One Look of Gratitude
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Agatha had used magic to staunch the bleeding and mend most of the wound, she sat on her couch as if nothing had happened. Fate sat as well, though he was propped up against the leg of the chair he was usually seated on.

『You have been branded by the skill【Pale-Moonlight Penance】, you have now been subordinated by Agatha Schneider.』

『Further details about the terms of subordination can be found under the ‘registered skills’ tab in ‘Fate’s Journal.’』

-That f*cking demented bitch!

Fate had never thought that she would use a method like this. Although he had trusted the Witch to do something to help him, this seemed like a meager alternative.

-Then again, I guess it’s better than being dead...Still, though, she didn’t even fully heal the wound, she just patched up most of the skin and stopped the bleeding so it still hurts like hell!

Despite his internal protest, all he could do was to deal with the pain and wait for his body to heal naturally, or get someone else to heal it, though the possibility of someone in the mansion being willing to heal him was extremely slim.

Agatha: “My Goddess...she graced me…!”

-What the hell is wrong with her? If her Goddess really knows I’m here, then I am f*cked! I’m actually going to die again...that sucks ass…

Eventually, after a while of Fate’s internal suffering and Agatha’s seemingly demented rantings about the glory of the Goddess, a knock sounded at the door.

*knock* *knock*

Jacob: “My...my lady, are you...finished in there?”

Agatha promptly stood up from her couch and headed towards the door, instantly swinging it open without a moment of hesitation.

Jacob: “M-my lady!?”

Agatha: “Take care of that filth on the ground...something wonderful has happened!!!”

Agatha screamed out, obviously delighted. At the same time though, it almost sounded like the mad cries of a demented banshee.

Jacob: “M-m..my lady, please do calm yourself! Tell me what has happened that is so...wonderful?”

Agatha: “I shan’t tell a soul!”

After screaming out those last few words, she seemed to have regained some of her calmer demeanor, yet traces of her maddened state still sounded within her voice and crept across her face in a smile.

Jacob: “But...please...calm…!”

Agatha: “Silence!” *Ahem* “You are to have the filth cleaned and to leave no trace of the events that occurred here, understood?”

Jacob: “Yes..of course, but...my lady, what happened here?!”

The floor was coated in blood, his master had seemingly gone insane for a few moments, and the child was looking half-dead on the floor. It was not something that he could comprehend...well perhaps the state of the floor and of the child, but his master’s madness…

Agatha: “I simply had an ...inspiration, that’s all. Now have it cleaned, and make preparations for a smaller room to be used to store this...filth.”

-What could have possibly happened to make her like this?! If time allows, I must make sure to have words with the child about the events that transpired here…

Jacob: “It shall be done, and I shall ask no more.”

Agatha: “Good, now clean it up.”

A while later, Jacob had returned Fate back to his room and was now in the process of washing the blood off his neck and back. He was washing Fate in a small metal tub that he had brought in when he left the room once he had dropped Fate off, but the water was something he seemingly generated with the use of a silver ring with a blue gem in the center.

-I didn’t think that I’d be using the ‘magic item’ I received from the Lord and Lady to scrub what she calls ‘filth.’ Though my job is a servant, I do not wish to even remotely serve that which my lady rejects.

Despite his reservations, Jacob continued to wash the child until all the blood was off and then proceeded to dry him.

-I’ll make sure that he looks...decent. Although, I won’t be wasting time trying to find someone to heal him. After all, my lady will most likely use this as an opportunity to discourage the lord’s faith in the child and will summon a priest herself, later on…

By the time Jacob had finished his inner commentary, he had already re-dressed Fate in clean clothes. He then picked the child up and placed him gently in the cradle, before picking up the metal bucket filled with water and carrying it out of the room. However, this was not before…

Jacob: “Do attempt to behave yourself this time, I will be back later with your dinner.”

The way he spoke almost sounded sincere and caring, something that Fate had never seen in his almost a year of being reborn. This made Fate stare at Jacob with a look that was not filled with anger or despair, but gratitude.”

Jacob: “...Do not thank me, it is my duty...for now at least.”

*creak*

The door shut and Jacob left the room, leaving Fate once again, in solitude.

-Wow...he actually looked like he cared...I didn’t expect that, not in a million years.

Fate: “Journal…”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Name: Fate

• HP: 21/33.11

• MP: 2.65/2.65

• Level: 0

• Race: Human

• Job: None

• Previous Jobs: None

• Titles: 【Familiar of Fate】
    --------------------------------

• Stats:

• Strength: 3.249

• Endurance: 7.2

• Wisdom: 3.6

• Intelligence: 3.57

• Stamina: 5.82

• Agility: 1.9

• Fortune: 1.0

• Magic: 0.823
    ---------------------------------

• Passive Skills: None

• Active Skills: None

• Unique Skills: None

• Equipment: Fate’s Journal(Soul-bound)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-My 【Endurance】 and 【Stamina】have definitely gone up, I expected that. However, why did 【Wisdom】increase?

His 【Wisdom】had increased by 0.1, therefore he had to have gotten something out of that near-fatal encounter, but the only thing he could think of was…

-I survived, I got a slight boost because I managed to bow down and say what she wanted...dammit...

Fate: *sniffle*

For the first time since coming to this world…

Fate: *sniffle* “Uhhhh…”

Fate was crying, the one action that he had never shown to anyone in this world thus far. Not because of the torture over several months, not over neglect, and not over his near-death experience…

Fate: “Uhhh..ahhhh...ahhh!!!”

It was because, for the first time since coming to this world, someone had genuinely shown him compassion. Even if it was just a quick glance and the promise of his next meal, he treasured it.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  7. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 16 -
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    After bawling and crying his eyes out for a while, Fate flipped through the journal to find the ‘registered skills tab’ that the alert had mentioned earlier…

-But no matter how hard I look, I can’t find it! I flipped through every page and not one of them, besides the ‘messages’ and ‘stats’ pages, has a single word or smudge of magical ink on them! I can’t even find something resembling a tab!

The ‘tab’ that was thinking of was of the sort that one might find in a pop-up book or on a desktop computer. However, this was a ‘magical artifact’ of sorts, granted to him by a Goddess and it didn’t seem like she had made it extremely simple to use.

-The ‘stats page’ has made it feel like I’m actually accomplishing something and re-reading the ‘messages page’ makes it feel like I have the internet...or at least someone to talk to.

Fate: *sigh*

-I might as well check the first page, maybe she put a new message or someth…!

Fate had flipped the pages back to the very first and discovered that there was, indeed, new information to be seen!

-She actually sent a new message...I’m genuinely surprised. And this is...

A screen projected out from the words that were now coming into existence with a dark-blue flicker of light. The screen looked sort of like a ‘blue screen of death’, like when a computer crashes. The blue was a lot darker, granted, but it still looked like an old computer screen setup.

-...This is new... Before it was just all the messages she wrote me on one page, stacked vertically. I actually kind of like it…!

A smile crept onto Fate’s young face. Though he had just been crying for his first time in this world just a few moments ago, now it seemed that he had forgotten about it completely. Fate tried tapping the screen, but his stubby finger just phased through it completely.

-...What? How am I supposed to use it if I can’t touch it?

Fate: “...Enter?”

Fate’s words seemed to receive no reaction from the screen.

-Why did I do that, so embarrassing…! Whatever, now that I thought of doing something that stupid, I guess I’ll see it through!

Fate: “...On!”

Again, no reaction.

Fate: “...Accethh…!”

-Dammit, my babyish lisp kicked in!

Suddenly, there were new words on the screen. ‘Third time’s the charm’ actually seemed to be an effective means to get it working...or...not…

-What is this?!

Witch of Fate - Hello, my familiar! Did you enjoy the new setup for these messages? I thought that the page would get filled up if I just kept indulging you, so...I set up this new system, using things that you liked on Earth! If you’re wondering how I know this, just think for about 2 seconds…~

-Think about it for 2 seconds? The hell does she…?!

Fate: “!”

Fate thought about it for exactly 2 seconds, by his count, and the only explanation that he could come up with was.

-She looked through my memories?! How far can she see, what can she see, and what is she looking for in there?!?! Oh...f*ck...if she finds all my...embarrassing memories...SHE’LL HAVE ENDLESS SHAMING MATERIAL!!!

Fate kept reading hoping that the ‘Witch’ had at least limited herself in accordance with common decency.

Witch of Fate - Awww, you were so cute as a baby. By the way, I know when you first…!~

-It’s hopeless...I should just kill myself right now…

Fate’s neutral expression turned extremely sour and panicked. Even with his hopes for his privacy crushed, he continued to read.

Witch of Fate - ...Tried to admit to a girl you had a crush on her, but you accidentally poked her contact lens and she didn’t speak to you for a whole year! *Giggles*

Fate blushed a little and his face regained some normalcy. However, he was still a little below a neutral expression.

-That’s...actually better than I was expecting, but still...why is she looking at my childhood? Why did she actually write in the *giggles* effect?

Witch of Fate - ...I have all your history at my fingertips, but...I don’t get to touch it for now…~ My dumb sisters called me in for a meeting, so I won’t be able to message you for a good while...So sad…

-...She still has all my personal history!!! If she looks through everything, I’m ruined!!!

His face turned sour again. Although his face was sour, he could feel a sense of warmth and comfort from reading these words and from feeling extremely embarrassed, oddly enough.

-I feel like she’s really here...It’s like I’m just talking to another kid at the playground...all those years ago, before we moved to what I playfully called…*internal grumble*….‘The Capital of Depression in Western Europe...’

Fate remembered his past life on Earth and all the years he lived, having friends and being a generally friendly person. However, his father had a large opportunity in another country so the whole family moved with him. Fate was never able to make a single friend...his ability to fade into the background without his will and to kill a conversation online made him a repulsive and elusive existence. His own father was never around due to his job and his brothers had been terrible people, one feeding off the old styles of the other in a perpetual cycle.

-And in the end, they, their friends, and every person I hated ended my life on Earth and now...I’m here...talking to someone like another person would an old friend…

Fate continued to read, almost feeling giddy from these new feelings of warmth from within.

Witch of Fate - With that said, I won’t be sending messages to you for at least a few years.

-Years?! Just when I thought that I felt something pleasant, life tears it away from me!

Witch of Fate - However, I will be leaving some pre-recorded messages on the ‘message page.’ These will be instructions on basic things like stats to more complicated subjects, such as magic circles and relics.

Fate propped his chin up with his fist and began to ponder.

-I can sort of visualize the magical circle if I think of O*erlord or random Isekai manga, but...what is a ‘relic?’

When Fate thought of relics, he thought of obsolete technology or ancient archeological discoveries. However, he couldn’t imagine something out of date in this world being that useful. After all, shouldn’t something like ‘magic items’ improve in design and thus efficiency over time?

- Maybe this world had some sort of ‘golden age.’ A few mangas have had something similar and the ‘relics’ and ‘artifacts’ they possessed from these ‘golden ages’ were treated as supreme treasures...Then again, as soon as the MC shows up, they’re instantly crushed by whatever useless crap the MC ‘accidentally creates without trying…’

He continued to read.

Witch of Fate - To get to the ‘tabs’ and other options where the data is stored, you need to insert magical power. The only reason that the screen popped up and my words reached you is that I knew you’d make a cute mispronunciation.~

-Just when I thought she had turned over a new leaf… R.I.P, my dignity…Still, though, how does she expect me to use magical power? I haven’t even been able to make a fireball, even the smallest one should be easy for a Reincarnator!

Witch of Fate - To allow your magical power to flow into an external force, your【Magic】stat will need to be at least 5 to 10. The higher your 【Magic】, the higher the chance of a spell succeeding, of course, that kind of practice will have to be done later, and the less difficulty you will face in manifesting such phenomena.

-5 to 10?! It’s taken me so long and I’ve had to deal with a sh*tload of pain, but now I have to get more than 5 to 10 times the amount of 【Magic】that I currently have?!!

Witch of Fate - Be advised, the amount of 【Magic】that you can currently contain can be further increased, as your 【Endurance】has increased due to your...unforeseen encounters…

-YOU TOLD ME THAT YOU SAW THE ‘POSSIBILITY’ OF IT HAPPENING, DON’T WRITE MY SUFFERING OFF AS AN 'unforeseen encounter’!!!

Again, despite his feelings, Fate continued.

Witch of Fate - That ends this ‘tutorial’ of sorts. Don’t worry, you’ll be able to view this message if you forget any of this. Grow stronger in order to serve me well, my familiar!

That ended the words on the spectral, dark-blue screen. It appeared that Fate would be extremely busy in order to meet expectations.

-Even with my suffering...Even with the amount of pain I’ll be forced to endure...This seems a lot more manageable than when I took 4 AP tests in one year...and managed to get 1’s on 3 of them and a 2 on the other…

A sick smile spread across Fate’s mouth.

-Let’s get to work…

Fate: “Ha ha ha aha ha ahaa ha ha!!!”

*knock* *knock*

-Oh, sh*t!

Jacob: “Young master, I have returned with your dinner.”

Fate looked at the window, it was dusk.

-How is it that late already?!

*grumble*

-...I guess there’s no helping it...

8. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 17 - Farewell Young Master
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fate: “Journal, status page.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Name: Fate

• HP: 47.09/47.09

• MP: 5.33/5.33

• Level: 0

• Race: Human

• Job: None

• Previous Jobs: None

• Titles: 【Familiar of Fate】
    --------------------------------

• Stats:

• Strength: 5.15

• Endurance: 10.333

• Wisdom: 4.2

• Intelligence: 5.01

• Stamina: 7.5225

• Agility: 6.73

• Fortune: 1.0

• Magic: 2.166
    ---------------------------------

• Passive Skills:『Balance (Lv.1)』

• Active Skills: None

• Unique Skills: None

• Equipment: Fate’s Journal(Soul-bound)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fate: “...Check description for 『Balance (Lv.1)』.”

『Balance (Lv.1)』: The skill, Balance, improves your stability. As the skill progresses, it may gain the ability to automatically correct your movements.

Current Buff: Balance improves by 5%

Skill Mastery: 1%

Skill Mastery Required for Next Level: 7.5%

-I finally got a new skill, but it was just something as simple as balancing?! Also, what does it mean ‘may gain the ability to automatically correct your movements?’

It had been two and a half months since the ‘incident’ and Fate had finally managed to obtain a skill, although not one he had hoped for.

-I thought I’d have gained something like ‘physical tolerance’ or some sort of defense skill since my 【Endurance】 is my strongest stat, but 『Balance』, huh?

Fate had been increasing his 【Endurance】, 【Strength】, and 【Stamina】by holding a book above his head, which required him to stand or sit in one place for a duration of time. It seemed as if this passive skill had been brought about, as a result of some sort of ‘posture’ exercise.

-I think they used to have noble children train to stand up straight by having them keep a book on their heads and keeping still, without the book falling off. I didn’t think doing it for training would actually yield me a skill...even if it is sort of a crapshoot...Regardless, I now have a skill!

Fate had been working diligently on building his stats, ever since his 【Magic】had become too much for his【Endurance】 stat to handle effectively and he had managed to find a new way to escape his crib.

-Still though, who would have thought that I could’ve just lifted my mattress and removed a few screws to get out...It did take a while to twist them out of their holes.

*knock* *knock*

Jacob: “Young master, I have brought your lunch.”

Fate: “Yes, please.”

*creak*

The door creaked open and Jacob stepped through, into the room. Over the last few months, Agatha had stopped teaching Fate and, or so it seemed, had been requesting Jacob quite less. This left Jacob with the position of Fate’s ‘teacher.’

Jacob: “Here you are, young master.”

Jacob folded out the small table that he had brought with him, and set the silver tray with the nutrient jel and spoon down, on top of it.

Jacob: “I will go retrieve, ‘The History of Lunaria,’ and we shall continue from where we left off.”

Fate: “Yes.”

As his ‘teacher,’ as it was apparently decided last month, Jacob had been reading from a large book about the country that the manor was located in. In addition, Jacob occasionally let slip a few details about how things were in the manor, including details on the Lord and Lady.

*creak*

-I get that it’s helping my 【Intelligence】stat grow, along with my understanding of the world, but why do we have to keep coming across ‘Lunis II?’

‘Lunis’ as he was apparently called, was originally named ‘Yunis’ and was a commoner before his rise to power as the first king of ‘Lunaria.’ The old king, ‘Vargrad,’ had brought the small country of ‘Veritas’ to the brink of destruction. ‘Yunis’ was given a ‘revelation’ from Luna, the Goddess of the Moon, who helped him to become king and recreate the country as ‘Lunaria.’

-Though the fact that the rulers are chosen by the Goddess and are often members of the clergy before receiving a ‘revelation’ is a bit odd. I get that a ruler doesn’t die every day, but does the ‘Goddess’ really have the time to manage the royalty of her beneficiary country? Then again, I guess it’s a country she helped create so, of course, she would probably want it around to serve her.

*creak*

Jacob returned with empty hands and an awkward smile.

Jacob: “Young master, I won’t bore you with the details but...Do you know what a sibling is?”

-Oh, please let it be!

Fate: “Another short person, like me?”

Fate deliberately gave a childish answer, since Agatha had not commonly referred to himself as a ‘child’ but rather, as an ‘it.’ Thus, this should be information he would not have known at his age, except that he was a Reincarnator.

Jacob: “Oh, young master…”

Jacob shook his head, in what seemed to be, disappointment, for a moment before regaining his train of thought.

Jacob: “I will have to bore you with the details another time. However, there will be another... short person... in the manor, though you will most likely never see them for more than moments at a time…”

-Hm?

Jacob seemed hesitant to continue with his speech, it was as if whatever he said next would come as a huge shock. Thus, Fate braced himself.

Fate: “What... does that mean?”

Jacob: “The lady asked me, earlier in the year, to move you to another section of the mansion once she had...confirmed the signs of your sibling. In two-days time, you shall be moved to another place, farther away from your parents.”

-I didn’t expect this...so they’re shoving me under the bench and pretending like I don’t exist? Damn…

Fate had expected that Agatha would not approve of being near him, but for her to move him to some remote corner of the manor was...unexpected.

-I didn’t think Father would go for this sort of thing either. Although, he wasn’t around for my birth so maybe he feels like he’s detached from me already? I guess I just didn’t expect Jacob to tell me something like this so directly.

Jacob seemed to be the only one in the manor, whom Fate ever saw or who cared about Fate at all. His parents hadn’t even been around for his birthday, which he noticed thanks to repeatedly checking his status. Jacob seemed to have noticed though and brought in a light, chicken soup that had some of the ‘spice’ that made him suffer so much last time, but only enough for flavoring.

-He did laugh when I started to tear up a bit from the spiciness though…

Jacob: “I am saying this, as I will be recalled to my lady’s side and will most likely not see you for quite some time.”

-Sh*t! Why does my own mother have to do this kind of thing to her own son?! What have I ever done to her?

Jacob: “I sincerely apologize for giving you this sudden news, yet I know you can understand it all. Regardless, I wish you well. Goodbye, young master…”

Jacob looked a bit sorry and began to walk out of the room.

-...*sigh* I might as well say goodbye since from the way he’s looking, things will only get worse from here…

Fate: “Thank you for your service, Jacob.”

Jacob seemed to flinch, stopping dead in his tracks for a moment. He did not turn around though, but did respond with…

Jacob: “I shall be on my way. May you find happiness for yourself, young master.”

*creak*

And then, Jacob was gone. The only traces of him being the sound of footsteps gradually fading, down the hall.

…….
    P.S. - Chapter 16 was 'Figuring Out Settings'

9. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    So he didn't reach five and his first sibling is coming?
    I thought his life of 'solitude' would start after five :hmm:

10. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    It is going to start then, but it will be more apparent once his sibling is born. I already have an idea of where I want this to go. How are you liking the story so far?

11. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Good but I think something is missing, somesort of thrill I guess

12. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    These chapters are just to introduce you to his situation, in a few more you finally get some action.

13. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, apparently the wattpad algorithms designated FoF as #876 out of 42.1k stories(tragedy). So that’s either good despite 16 reads or people just don’t update regularly

14. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    So that is why?
    I looked at some tens or so then tried different combinations in search and filtered the results but couldn't find it several times, thought it might be pending or something, well, will check it again later :hmm:

15. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    I set it on mature, so that might be why. Don’t actually know how that works, but I didn’t want any triggered people coming after me for what I enjoy writing.

16. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes sense
    [​IMG]

17. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice new profile image btw

18. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link

19. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it weird to think that it’s weird that you’re the only person who’s commented?

20. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, people don't comment that easily on novels it seems, ask me :blobsweat_2: