Resolved Translators, how do you tackle lack of engagement on your novels?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Little Potato, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    First, let me define my meaning of engagement. When I refer to engagement, I refer to the number of "likes/comments" on the chapters of your novel.

As a starting full-time translator, I'm currently translating two series. Series A gets an average of 1000 to 2000 views per day but will get at least 20 likes within a day. Series B on the other hand, gets an average of 3000-6000 views per day but will only get at least 10-12 likes within a day.
    Another important thing to note is that Series A and Series B are in two COMPLETELY different genres. Series B is a much rarer genre compared to Series A.

According to my findings, Series B is way more popular. I confirmed with a test where if a recent post received more than 30 likes, an extra chapter would be released the next day and within 3 hours, the target was met. (Leechers detected!)

My only problem with Series B is that I feel exploited by leechers discouraged there's not much engagement despite the high traffic it has. (My ego hurts) So I was thinking of putting up a post to change release chapter schedules to being more Series A focused, which gets more engagement than Series B, just to provoke encourage readers to actually leave a like/comment on Series B.

My question is:
    • Is this an unreasonable move? Am I being overly petty about this? (I know I'm petty but am I exceedingly over the boundaries of normal pettiness?? lol)
    • Do other translators care whether readers leave a like/comment?
    • What would you do if you faced the same situation?/What should I do so as not to seem over-the-top?

aceclover95, SmoggyBelle and Fallion like this.
  2. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not currently translating but have you considered it’s due to the nature of the stories and has nothing at all to do with you?

Wujigege and Little Potato like this.
  3. rosyprimrose

rosyprimrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some readers like to lurk and not comment. I'm like that at times. I will follow a novel but not make any comments or likes about it.

4. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, not a tler, but was a former editor so figure I'll throw my own 2 cents in.

First, does reader interaction truly matter that much to you?
    Second, do you have like a tler section or something for your own comments each chapter? No saying this is needed but some readers will respond when tler leave a little message.
    Third, what site do you use? Could be people dont care for creating a new account just so they can comment on things.
    Fourth, could have just picked a popular general where pple dont like chatting. Personally myself I dont comment to often Most times I do is based off what happens in chapter.

Fifth, I was an editor for novels in the past So I kinda get why you want more comments I always liked reading readers comments on chapters. But as a reader I also dont think about commenting every chapter especially since I binge read.

Anyway, I think comments depends on what readers you have, as some can be chatty which draws other in And secondly what tler interaction is there. Sometimes tler just leaving a message can get more interactions going in my view.

Edit
    On a side thought Just curious, what novels do you tl? Just curious if it's a novel I read and lurk in.

5. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wut???? How does less focusing on a series you wanted ppl to like and comment encourage people to leave like and comment???
    For all the readers know, they won't be aware of your passive-aggressive movement, and instead thought that "this series is getting slower" and decide to either a.) pile the chapters up or b.) forget about it.
    Aren't your priorities a bit off? Shouldn't it be good quality translation and consistent release schedule? Shouldn't that two be the key to likes and comments?
    ...At least you admit to being ego-struck and petty.
    I'm happier if what the author wanted to convey becomes in line with the readers' understanding through my translation and say so in the comments, however few it is.

Deleted member 38284 likes this.
  6. Little Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty confident it is haha. It really is a genre that's considered pretty rare on novelupdates. But still, it feels pretty unrewarding to have your work unacknowledged especially when you spent so much time on it... Maybe I just need to learnt to care less...

7. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not a translator.. I'm actually an on-again off-again lurker myself. What motivates me to comment (other than other comments), would usually be from a TL note at the end of the chapter. It doesn’t have to be something witty, smart or unique. If the TLer comments their own views, ideas or opinions of the chapter, it’ll encourage other readers (even the full-time lurkers) to get out their comfort zone and join the fun.

Well, at least that’s my perspective on it but I’m sure everyone’s different..

Astaroth likes this.
  8. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to engage with them yourself in the comment section or just get it started. Have thou done dis?

Little Potato likes this.
  9. Little Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever heard of the scarcity principle? With a limited supply of goods coupled with a high demand, the more people are willing to pay for a unit of that good. I'm basically using the same principle.

Also, I think you've misunderstood me. Never in my thread have I ever mentioned that my main goal in translating was to satisfy my own ego. Getting more engagement was just a mere motivator for me to continue delivering quality work. How you twisted my words to sound like a scummy translator is beyond me. Thanks for your input though.

Fallion likes this.
  10. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Most readers don't care about who's translating, especially if they haven't been translating for that long. That's all. If you want readers to comment more the fastest way is to engage with them. Bribe them with chapters. Tell them if you get more comments you'll post more. Something like that.
    If you want to be acknowledged then work. You'll get acknowledged because you get paid. You can also find translating work (even if most don't pay that well).

Wujigege and Little Potato like this.
  11. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if you put up some ads to get ad revenue but having more views is much better than having likes or comments. Because having more views means a lot more people/bot are reading in your site and seeing your content.

As said by Maidchan above, if your consistent releases does slow down, it will very much affect everything.
    Low releases have higher chances of people going to wait for much later to have chapters piled up and avoid cliffhangers. Also some will easily get bored waiting for a new chapter unless its a very known series(like Death Mage/Death March/Arifureta) that readers will still wait for the chapters.

I am not a tler but translating isnt like an instagram post that needs a ton of likes, shares. I for one dont really comment nor like anything.

How about putting up something like those buttons from damenano or asianhobbyist. Since its easier to just click like, fluffy, moar, angry or sad emotes.

Wujigege, Astaroth and Little Potato like this.
  12. Little Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    @oblueknighto @Drake98 @Saitama.sensei @LtBeefy

Thank you for the valuable input. I appreciate the honesty and feedback. To be completely honest, because all my chapters have been schedule to ensure a consistent release. I haven't been putting in any Translator's Notes at all which probably explains why. I'll try to start doing that and see what happens though. Thanks!

@LtBeefy
    I'd rather not put out the names of the novels I'm currently translating now in case someone else thinks I'm being an ungrateful translator. Though what I CAN tell you is that Series A is a BL novel whereas Series B is a smut novel. Hope that doesn't give too much away lol cuz I kinda sincerely hope that nobody knows see this thread of insecurity of mine
    (´・ω・`)

Saitama.sensei likes this.
  13. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like meeting people in public. The first time you meet, if you don't say anything, people will just assume you like your peace and quiet. If you do want to talk to people, start talking to them first.

Post a starting comment on your replies and you'll see that people react. They don't act since most are unsure of strangers.

14. Little Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh hey, I've actually never thought of that! That's actually pretty unique. Thanks!

15. EnerHighwave

EnerHighwave Holy Daugther of Kyuu 8❤️ Speedy's pet Lovely's ❤️

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm like this too, and most of the readers just read and not comment or like

16. Little Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the analogy. Makes good sense. Will try to be a bit more active in engaging readers then!

17. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    The genre explains it 100%. Try searching for top rated novels here on NU and you’ll see there’s A LOT of BL novels up there while there’s very few of them with bad ratings. I think it’s because of how scarce they were early on which led their community to be more encouraging and engaged compared to the rest of us.

18. cktulica

cktulica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never like or comment on anything

19. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    If i need to make an account somewhere to comment then i wont.

Sorry, not sorry

Nonon and lin1339 like this.
  20. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    . . . my 1st comment. on CD got a reply message from DB saying "welcome"