Discussion Second Female Lead

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by SleepOnMarshmellows, Oct 19, 2019.

1. SleepOnMarshmellows

SleepOnMarshmellows Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Second Male Lead Syndrome is very widely known. The Second Male Lead seems infnitely superior in that he's kind, loving, and shows it to the FL. However, there never seems to be Second Female Leads like this in k-dramas.

Are there any novels that gave you Second Female Lead Syndrome?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    U see, the problem with most novels on NU is that the male MC always ends up with the 2nd FL... and the 1st and the 3rd... the Nth. :blobsweat:

But there's been a few manga (can't recall ATM) that hv given me 2nd FL syndrome.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    KizunaAi likes this.
  3. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Korean and Chinese novel? Not that much.
    In Japanese light novel? I think almost all light novel did have one. Kaze no Stigma, Sword Art Online, Hakkomari. Except Chrome Shelled Regios. Best girl win there.

4. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    Never got any 2nd female lead syndrome from k-drama because most of 2nd female lead is some two faced b*tch.

Got most 2nd female lead syndrome from most of japan light novels.

5. Neneee

Neneee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you there. While the second male lead is usually someone who has the FL's back and cares for her almost unconditionally, the second FL is rather the type to stir up drama so that at the same time the FL can act like a victim....

Maybe Detective Conan counts, because I like Ai much more than Ran :blobexpressionless:

chamchaworld likes this.
  6. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    That one too. K-drama or CN tends to make second female lead as stepping stone for female lead. While jn or manga will make us pity (or love) second female lead (especially in harem genre novel)

Neneee likes this.
  7. Neneee

Neneee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some time ago I watched a taiwanese drama where I also likes second female lead (Marry me or not) but she was the ML's little sister so I guess that explains it :blobsweat_2:

In mangas they usually want a happy ending for everyone so the second female lead often becomes great friends with the FL. Or maybe it's because most mangas I've read so far were set in high school times so the malice isn't yet thoroughly developed, if you get what I mean :blobsweat: Whereas dramas usually take place when the MC's are already grown up and working....

chamchaworld likes this.
  8. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2nd female leads in CN novel are commonly known as the antagonists who persistently block the FL, which ironically just made the relationship between ML and FL better.

They are the cannon fodders of CN SoL novels. In some cases, they are the best friend of FL who will get raped and die tragically. Long story short, 2nd FL is the worst place to be ISEKAI'd to.

SleepOnMarshmellows likes this.
  9. SleepOnMarshmellows

SleepOnMarshmellows Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I think it also depends on if the protagonist in male or female. With male protagonists and 2nd female lead is generally really sweet and pitied for her unrequited love. Or becomes a harem member. With female protagonists, the 2nd female lead is a rival and shown in a negative light. But I think with a male protagonist, 2nd male leads are still sort of positive?