A new drama involving Slimicee from Meteor Strike Media

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by A_Passing_Wanderer, Oct 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A_Passing_Wanderer

A_Passing_Wanderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, denizens of NUF, this is A_Passing_Wanderer. If you don't know who I am, I'm a Korean-English translator that previously worked on “A Monster Who Levels Up” to its completion, first 90 chapters of “Second Coming of Gluttony”, and the “Returner”, hosted on Creative Novels and, while as a contractor for Webnovel, “Is this Hunter for Real?”, “Only I Level Up/Solo Levelling”, and currently have taken over the TLing duties of the Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint from rainbowturtle.

I come to you with yet another unwarranted drama, again involving Meteor Strike Media – or, more correctly, with its CFO, Slimicee.

This time, it's concerning a new TL project that I started, called the Holy Emperor's Grandson is a Necromancer, currently hosted on Creative Novels.

I released the first batch of ten chapters last week Thursday (17th October 2019). Shortly after – around 30 minutes – the Managing Director of Creative Novels, J, received a Discord DM from Slimicee, followed by this email.

Screenshot (24).png

Screenshot (26).png

Screenshot (25).png

Naturally, J contacted me. In my hot-headedness, I DM-ed Slimicee. I had previously exchanged messages with him/her before in the Discord server when he/she was one of the bosses of 100 White Salt TL group, and back then, I thought we had an amiable, if not any meaningfully deep, relationship. This was the resulting conversation.

Screenshot (17).png

Screenshot (16).png

No response afterwards.
    Now, here's the deal – if the author or the copyright holder “Munpia” contacts me with any issues, I shall, out of respect to both, stop.
    However, Slimicee in this case is neither of those, nor did he/she actually acquire the English publication licence of the novel. He/she is basically a bystander, a third wheel. As further proof, Creative Novels rejected MSM(Slimicee)'s clear overstep as "the claimant" has no copyright or standing in this matter.

Yet, he/she wishes to stop me from TLing the novel for the readers to enjoy just because he/she had an “informal” chat with the author. He/she hasn't outright said it, but the wording of his/her response makes it rather abundantly clear.

He/She sees the novel as a potential revenue source down the line, and I'm obstructing that. Therefore, He/she is trying to bully Creative Novels to dropping the novel, leaving me in a limbo.
    The method he/she has chosen is as you can see. That makes him/her, at best, overstepping their bounds, and at worst, a rat. A snitch.

He/she have no professional nor moral obligations to tell on the projects other TLers are engaged in. What he/she is doing here is setting an unprecedented example – I've 'officially licensed' a certain author's novel and can potentially licence his/her other work, so therefore, must police everyone else regardless of whether I get said licence later or not.

The most important part here is this, though: Meteor Strike nor Slimicee DO NOT have the official licence of the novel.

By going with Slimicee's logic, licenced manga publishers can now stop fan scanlators from TLing & publishing mangas from the same author/artist – same thing for movies, anime, games – you name it.
    Heck, since I've been sub-contracted by Webnovel(WN) to take over the TLing of the Omniscient Reader from rainbowturtle, maybe I should also go around and make sure no other TLers will ever touch Sing-Shong's stuff, no? Wait, I already said that, didn't I?

In any case. This is a slippery slope if I ever saw one.

I'm sure he/she's going to respond by saying he/she's merely protecting their business interests. Sure, fine. But know this – the novel is published by Munpia. I'm sure the author has a say in who gets to TL it, but at the end of the day, Munpia should be the one to decide that. Munpia has a publishing deal with Qidian, the owner of WN. So, unless you're talking about extraordinary circumstances, you ain't getting that licence, buddy.

And if they wish to argue the morality angle, LOL. Seriously? Coming from you, that's rich.

In closing, I'll say that the irony isn't lost on me – here's the person who, only a few months ago, was also actively involved in the unlicenced TLing scene him/herself, but now is trying to look all upstanding and the like and threatening other TLers (me) as if his/her past was never there to begin with. Let's not forget the whole debacle surrounding the Solo Levelling/Alone I Level Up/Only I Level Up – the very novel that got 100 White Salt started, only to be lost to WN's hands. Rather coincidentally, I was contracted by WN to TL that novel, too. Could this be some sort of a misplaced grudge acting up, I wonder?

Edit:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. Reak

Reak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm:

Smatrick47 and Sabruness like this.
  3. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone knows drama is only manufactured to get attention, right? I mean, I'm not the only guy that realizes that, right?

4. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    TL;DR A_Passing_Wanderer released 10 chapters of Holy Emperor's Grandson is a Necromancer. Meteor Strike Media (MFM) took notice it's the same author of their licensed novel and want it to be taken down since they already had informal agreement with the author.

Smatrick47 likes this.
  5. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Some men just want to see the world burn and some men want enjoy eating popcorn watching drama in netflix NUF. :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

6. A Wandering Panda

A Wandering Panda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get it.
    Did Creative Novel ask for permission from the author before starting the work?
    If the author gave approval, there really isn't a case here.

I'm going to wait with popcorn until we get more info.

Lakios and grandurr like this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    + A_Passing_Wanderer says MSM doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of licensing the novel because Munpia will most likely end up giving it to Webnovel, if anyone, and that MSM is just pissy about another lost project APW took over courtesy of Webnovel. Y'know, that MSM was translating without a license.

Just seems like regular drama to me. He said she said and I hate that guy. :blobpopcorn:

8. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Selling popcorn for 100 nuffies :blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool:

9. Lazy Stray Cat

Lazy Stray Cat New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You say bystander but, they it seems that msm is a partner to the author of the work, so isn't it fine if they look in the best interest of the author? Furthermore you didn't have the license to the work...

10. A s h e s

A s h e s God of Mischief and Annoyance

Reading List:
    Link
    Ill take your side if you pay me

grandurr likes this.
  11. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn: kr drama. Neat. Looking forward to the counter thread.

12. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    suspicious account is suspicious.

A sockpuppet account from MSM perhaps?

As to the points: MSM doesnt seem to have the license for the novel in question either. Sounds like MSM is a licensee and not really a partner to the author. So OP is right: all decisions rest with munpia

peanutbutter_J, Lakios and grandurr like this.
  13. NeriaTL

NeriaTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn: It's Sunday tho.

grandurr and Westeller like this.
  14. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Some want to see the world burn while eating popcorn :blobpopcorn_cool:
    Not me tho :blobangel:
    :whistle:

ongoingwhy, kenar and Sabruness like this.
  15. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it already the 2nd drama coming from meteor strike? If third happen well...

Setting my popcorn stand here
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:
    :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

grandurr and Sabruness like this.
  16. NeriaTL

NeriaTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While sockpuppets are cute, you have the real :cookie: here.
    MSM licensed Shadow-Kun's previous novel called [Fallen Monarch].
    It's a really great novel that'll launch soon!

The novel has some amazing world building which needs to be discussed.

Monsters are any living creature that doesn't resemble humans (such as Orcs).
    The Holy Kingdom's theology teaches that monsters are considered evil entities.
    Due to this matter, monsters are killed indiscriminately and considered a threat even if they aren't.
    Some are even captured alive and turned into slaves.
    Monsters who possess demonic energy are considered Demons since they can use magic.
    Undead Lich is a perfect example of this.
    Among the demons, they elect a Demon Lord to rule over the Demon Kingdom.

While the universe has multiple gods, the God of Creation blessed certain humans with holy energy. Those who were blessed with these supernatural powers became Holy Knights. Others pursued knowledge to hone their magic and are called Mages.
    Whenever a new Demon Lord is born, the Holy Kingdom selects few Heroes to slay it.
    Our MC is the retired hero who runs an abbey for orphans and elders.
    The story begins when he enters a hidden dungeon underneath the abbey....

I honestly love the characters in the novel.
    My only regret is that the novel ended a bit short even though the chapters are fairly long.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  17. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, too many competitors with regular popcorn stands already... *opens caramel corn stand*

grandurr and ongoingwhy like this.
  18. Blushy

Blushy 【Procrastinator】

Reading List:
    Link
    So much drama in such a short amount of time. :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

Sabruness likes this.
  19. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn_two::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn_cool: Interesting

20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have anything to say about the situation. However, posting the private conversation between two people without the other's consent is a dickmove.

readerz, kenar and Jaspaaar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.