Quantity Vs Quality

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Liyus, Oct 21, 2019.

?

Quality vs Quantity

1. quality

2. quantity

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello guy and girls,
    I have been reading novels for more than 10 years and i enjoyed doing that....i know that complaining doesn't matter, but recently i didn't find anything good to read and i'm bored so i'm here to rant and make a POLL about the novels that are coming out. Specialy the Original work on RR and SH.:blobtriumph:

The past 2 years the quality of the work there was disapointing, author wrote fast and short chapter at the expense of quality....yes, i noticed novel go to 200-300 chapter but with crappy content about slice of life, pointless fight, usless description, ecc.:blobunamused:

Years ago while there were still work that didn't make sense, there were also work like "don't fear the reaper", "Universe Online", "long island", "observer","change: new world", "insania Online", "fantasia", "Re: Ocean" ecc. with slow update but fun novels where i waited for months for updates(i'm still waiting for chapter:blobdead:).

But the past month i tried to read trending and popular novels on those sites, and become disappointed by the quality(and i'm not talking about grammar)...
    Most of them have chapter too short with fast update where the content is crappy, there isn't any plot to follow, there isn't a backstory, the world bulding is a mess, and an abismal lack of side character POV that isn't a simple slice of life. those novels are just a MC becoming OP af in 3 short chapter building a Harem...:sweating_profusely:

most of the work on RR and SH are ruining the plot and character developement for fast release...
    So do you prefer having Author posting each 1-2 day short chapter(quantity) or once a week/month long chapter well writen(quality)

tl;dr.
    i'm disapointed with recent novels on RR and SH so i'm making a poll
    "do you prefer short chapter with fast release(quantity) or long chapter with slow release(quality)"

Bad Storm, Liola and Chiiiiiiiii like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in this case I suppose quality is better :hmm:

KizunaAi likes this.
  3. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    welp. . .
    it is kinda rare to find reaaalllly long novels that are good. . . .
    well in JP's you can find LN's coz well they have some dedicated editors and stuffs like that. . .
    but on WN. . specially *ahem those kinds that has reaaaallly long chapts tend to be freaking repetitive. . . and then get's boring. . .

4. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quality, of course. Without a certain quality, more quantity is not desirable.

Bad Storm, felidormit, Zomula and 2 others like this.
  5. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course , Quality ~~ It's like choosing delicious cookies or a lot of not so delicious cookies ~
    :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:

TokioftheBel likes this.
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love The Outer Sphere so much I can't stop recommending it everywhere. I'm basically doing that right now, see?

So, uh. Try that one?

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    What we want: Quality

What we REALLY want: Quantity

The thing is, we all want quality, but end of the day what we really want is time wasters and quantity fills those in. Now as we become more busy and have less time, we then focus more on keeping the quality while stop reading the quantity. But for most people, time wasters beat all. Aka, people want to see a release or 2 every day.

Now there was a long discussion on SH about the featuring and about the unfair advantage those that release short often vs those that release long chapters less often and Tony said they'll do something about it. But in general, releasing more short chapters means you'll be featured more often, that is simply the reality of the system.

And in some sense for a website they want people to keep coming back so reliable releases are preferred over sporadic ones.

I mean how many authors start releases than become sporadic and disappear? (My chapter is coming I swear!), so reliable short releases that may be low on quality is easier to release than mass releasing low quality stuff.

PS I am not saying the top novels are low quality, many of the top ones I've read were high quality, but I have no clue how things are now cause I haven't picked new things up in a long time due to being busy, so hope no one gets insulted, just making a generic statement.

8. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, and I want quantity of quality. Don't give me this nonsense dichotomy. I want both, darn it.

9. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quality over quantity, but I admit that if they take to long I can lose interest in the story.

10. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how this is a question at all. If I care about quality at all, then I'm going to want as high quality as possible and not care all that much about the rate of release. And in fact, I'm reading a book right now which is okay but it's massively padded so it'd be much more enjoyable if it had less quantity. In comparison, I'm also reading a book right now by a writer who seems to treat every word as a precious object. Every page of this latter book has as much content as 5-8 pages of the former, and it is a much better read as a result.

Now there are cases where I don't care about if a book is any good, but in these cases I usually don't care how quickly it's released either.

11. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously both, but i am okay with quantity under the condition that at least one of the main things are interesting. For example, My master disconnected yet again and my dad is the galaxy's prince charming. Both are by the same author, and the first is more than double the second, yet i am more willing to read it as outside of the interesting start, too many of the characters of the second novel act in brain dead ways, whilst the first has lonemoon who can act as an interesting straight man to balance it out.
    Tl:dr quantity as long as the hook is there and the bait stays interesting

12. Mercy

Mercy ...

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of the Mysteries...Best shit ive read...Such fine world building...And a 2ch/A day woth e great Translator that allmost never has grammar mistakes.Try it i guess.

13. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want quality (in that it is enjoyable to read, not everything needs to be war and peace), if there is enough quality available then the different titles would have the quantity between them.

The problem is anytime something gets somewhat popular it gets spammed with low quality imitators trying to make a buck of the trend. Heck, there even seems to be way to many incompetent translators ( If you have no competency in the destination language, you can not do a good job, and should have decent skill in the source as well) that seem to be in it not out of love for the material but to make a profit on ad revenue and patreon support (some of the support tiers are ridiculous, how the translator scales them) but putting professionals pride and ethics.

14. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    As a translator, I prefer quality because I don't want to waste half day translating the description of a piece of clothing and people's hairstyle _(;3/

As a reader, I prefer quality as well because I will drop a novel halfway if it's too long and draggy as hell.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  15. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking about sex?

16. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    So the Wandering Inn, eh?

Also, part of the problem is that trending does not mean good. It just means frequently read recently There are novels on the trending list with ratings of less than 2 stars. Especially with how many more novels are now on these sites. So it's much harder to find good stuff.

Westeller likes this.
  17. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno. I'm way behind on that, actually. It was sort of too... slow paced? And I moved on to other things. I'll go back to it eventually, because I did enjoy what I read of it, but it's a back burner item for me.

18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Quantity wins every time.
    Humans choose perception over the truth.
    If I release 1 chapter every 10 days at 10,000 words per chapter, I would be called slow
    but if I release daily chapters at 500 words per chapter. I will be loved.
    I am not making assumptions
    I have tested this over two years
    Humans are stupid.
    That is why rumors can ruin someone regardless of the truth
    If people perceive you as a cheater, you are treated as such even if you are simply a doctor examining a lady for breast cancer in the photo spread around
    Yobo!! I did not cheat :blobsob: @userunfriendly @ongoingwhy
    [​IMG]

userunfriendly and ongoingwhy like this.
  19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Bob loves Ai-chan chapters. Bob is smart, and handsome. Be like Bob.

20. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.