Discussion What can made you drope or avoid a novel ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lovina, Sep 29, 2019.

?

You have drop or avoid a novel because of :

1. Tragedie / bad ending

50 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Romance

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Yuri/yaoi

54 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Second lead syndrome

22 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. The story (character ) have become boring or irritating

112 vote(s)
    61.2%
  6. Too much drama

43 vote(s)
    23.5%
  7. Harem/reverse harem/polyandry

35 vote(s)
    19.1%
  8. This became another stuff that what i read in the first place without advice, doesn't sign for that

16 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. Sex /graphic violent /murder

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Asshole protagonist or character

32 vote(s)
    17.5%
  11. This became too WTF out of nowhere

40 vote(s)
    21.9%
  12. I read a spoiler and i hated it

12 vote(s)
    6.6%
  13. It perperate Rape culture

21 vote(s)
    11.5%
  14. Horror

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  15. Problem with the translation

12 vote(s)
    6.6%
  16. Racism/too much nationalism

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  17. Misoginy

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  18. Double standard

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  19. Hypocrisy

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read this novel a while back the mc was invited to join a train so he can train for a upcoming competition, when he entered the training room he was instantly attacked by a girl (the attack was not a probe and the girl has a higher cultivation level than him not to mention it was totally unexpected for her to just attack him ) if he gets him he will either die or be bedridden with serious injuries . The mc blocked the attack and grabbed her arm she started screaming rape luckily her brother was there and he witnessed the whole thing . then she instigated her brother to kill the mc but he refused ,this same bitch then when ahead and lied to the person that invited the mc calling him a pervert and saying he tried to rape her. What did the mc do nothing instead they began good friends when she discovered the mc is a master pill refiner he even promised her a very expensive weapon and he fulfilled the promise. This is the same mc that will cripple a guy just for giving him a bad eye

2. Chelsea-__-

Chelsea-__- Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too much angst or anything nonconsensual

3. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And the biggest scam of all is this novel called the god of sky and earth . most readers abandoned this novel because they read a review that says he raped a girl (lots of novel has rape where the mc rapes different women in different settings and times for various stupid reason e.g. aphrodisiac or poison e.t.c.) (some novels have women raping men ) but that hasn't stopped people from reading and enjoying them . I for one am not in support of rape in any form its a crime regardless of how it happens . But the funny thing about the story is he didn't rape the girl this is really what happened both the mc and the girl come from power clans in the same city but she happens to be the daughter of the city lord this girl is a typical spoilt young master with a vicious personality(she takes pleasure in seeing people suffer)While they were in a street, she decided to just randomly hit him. Because of that, he wanted to get back at her so he first tricked her into eating some snacks with muscle weakening powder.(I don't know why he choose to do that because the mc is supposed to be a reincarnated fully grown man in a teenage body he should know better and stay as far away from such a girl) one reason could be because she was too strong compared to him and at that particular time he was a "trash" that couldn't cultivate past a certain level because of his golden finger inside him from when he reincarnated.
    But after he weakened her, he had no clue what to do next. By the way, even though the MC was in the body of a child, at that point in time he had about 30 years worth of life experiences and yet still had no clue what to do. So, in order to "punish" her for hitting him, he randomly decided to just kiss her... and then of course a stupid and cliche Japanese MC move occurred where he accidentally tripped onto her while they were kissing, right when practically everyone in the city happened to be looking. To punish the mc he was ordered to live in a forest for 3 years without support food, protection or cultivation resources and if he survives he will have to marry the girl because he has destroyed her dignity. The mc accepted and survived thanks to his cheat only for her to come back and learn that the girl has ordered his death and promised to marry anyone that kills him . (what did the mc do nothing he said just see how I dealh with her when we're married) she even added a new condition that he must have reached a particular cultivation level before he can be able to marry her I was like WTF the mc was stuck in a forest with demonic beast for a whole 3 year he was fighting for his survival and nearly died multiple times even people at higher levels of cult cultivation would have died and yet he still has to improve without guidance or pill WTf . she kept plotting to kill the mc instigating various people and no one called her out for it. So I dropped it

4. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds utterly retarded. Why did he even bother? She is clearly not worth even a single second worth of thought outside of getting rid of her.

Lovina likes this.
  5. eseul

eseul [ blank ] |_・)

Reading List:
    Link
    when nothing happens in the story and it becomes pointless

Lovina and mistvenom like this.
  6. springsummer

springsummer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pointless love triangles done solely to make the main character love interest jealous

7. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually most MCs labelled as good honest lawful righteous in many novels are actually more horrible and despicable then the so called villains. A case in point is "the gate of good fortune" the mc and his friend went to an auction and the friend saw his dad companion being showcased as a slave. His friend had already explained to him before they came to the auction that he loves the girl wholeheartedly and they've been through many life and death situations together, when his sect was destroyed and he happened to be the only one left alive(he also happens to be the son of the sect master) he ran away with her and went far away. When they moved to a new planet with higher realms. she abandoned him and started sleeping with a very powerful cultivator and that was after he had given her the treasure belonging to his sect .) He begged the mc to save her so the mc did he bought her and brought her to his room the woman in question didn't object resist or refuse, even when she saw her former dao companion she wasn't sorry remorseful or regret her actions . later she came to the MCs room and explained her side of the story(her sect was destroyed by her dad companions sect everybody was killed she managed to escape and swore revenge. When she grew up she got close to the sect masters son and became dao companions with him and she killed 4 cultivators belonging to 4 different powerful sects and planted evidence that points to her dao companions sect. The four sects banded together and wiped out the sect every living thing was killed the girl and the dao companion escaped and she got the sect treasure which actually was stolen from her sect before they were slaughtered. Now when they came to the higher realm even after all the guy did for her risking his life to save her and rescue her on multiple occasions she choose to partner with some old dude just to get away from him and later she was sold as a slave. While all this was happening the mc had the guy hide inside a closet in the room so he can listen to the conversation the mc later gave the girl hundreds of millions green coins (their are 3 different coins before green coins and one green coin is worth 10 million of the previous one . it can be spent or used for cultivation )and he did it more than once.
    So my question is the mc a philanthropist or is he a kind person ? No there are actually millions of orphans and person being sold as slaves at least she is not the only girl been sold as a slave at that auction not to mention that the green coins he gave her can improve the cultivation level of over 500 thousand people but he just have it to a mass murderer. I know her sect was destroyed but let's be honest the four people she killed were not involved in the destruction of her sect besides they would have only been around 5 years old but she killed anyway and then turned those 4 other sects into mass murderer's and the mc was OK with it he didn't even react or say anything this is the exact same mc that killed the son of a city lord and wiped out all his forces because he was extorting new travellers that come to his city and he loves sleeping with pretty women what pissed the mc off the most was when he discovered a 12 year old girl has been imprisoned and been torture by his guards he got so angry and started attacking everyone and everything that supports the city lord and his son.
    I don't discriminate if the mc is evil fine if the mc is good fine what I hate is hypocrisy and self righteous MCs with double standards . those 4 people killed by the girl were they involved in the destruction of her sect ? The answer is no but she killed them anyway . the people in the sect were all of them participate in the destruction of her sect ? The answer again is no but they all died both women children, young ,old , servants,mortals and cultivators . The mc did something similar again when he was searching for his girl friend he gave her a treasure coin to protect herself and remember him . he saw the exact same coin in the hands of some dude that tried ambushed him so he killed off the group and soul searched the guy . then he discovered the coin was stolen from someone else and that person probably stole it from his girl and the person that stole it had his clan destroyed. That should have been the end of the matter as justice as been served the person that hurt his girlfriend is dead and his clan destroyed and her got his coin back but nope the mc vows to destroy the clan of the guy that destroyed the clan not because they attacked him but because of his girlfriend. I was like WTF they don't eben know her neither did they do anything thing to her they even helped you indirectly. Its just like a farmer blaming a wolf for the destruction of his carrot farm after finding out the wolf killed the rabbits that ate his carrots.
    This is the same mc that was accused of rape and hunted throughout the continent simply because some bitch didn't want to get married so she her and master plotted against him . a bounty was placed on him and he nearly died multiple times he managed to go to a new continent and mad a name for himself several years later people from the old continent came their and he was instrumental in the process. When he got married this bitch came after the marriage ceremony not to apologize or beg for forgiveness she just gave him a gift and left I was like WTF that's its the mc has killed people for less. Let me explain how it started. The mc saved her from a duo a man and a woman they sacrifice cultivator to increase their powers. The man usually rapes the woman before killing them . the mc together with another girl managed to rescue the bitch and killed the man while the woman escaped. The bitch was injured so the mc took her to a inn and was treating her injuries because he was hoping she has information about his maid servant ,she had been unconsious for 3 days while in the process of treating her she woke up and found the MCs hand on her chest she screamed ,her master just happened to be nearby the mc was not given a a chance to explain and was instantly attacked . I don't even want to talk about how far above the mc the master's cultivation level was , the mc has no chance or way to even resist he had to use an escape talisman just to survive. Later the surviving female member of the evil duo that tried sarcifice the bitch attacked the mc and was later killed ,so the truth is out . intially no one believed his story because his enemy was too strong. But still the bitch and her master didnt come to apologize he regonize the fact that he saved her. She still calls her a lecher and a pervent He later encounters this bitch again when he was trying to return the belongings of a dead man to his dao companion . the dao companion has a very vicious personality any male that walks into her palace becomes a corpse ,the bitch knew and refused to warn the mc so he will die. The mc managed to pass across his message before he was killed . after that event that bitch again got into trouble during a trail and the mc went to rescue her again then she later accused her of being a demonic cultivator. This resulted in him been chased by lots of people but the truth was they just wanted his treasure. He was presumed dead and after the end of the trail a marriage was arranged for the bitch, to avoid getting married she claimed the mc raped her WTF . his posters was pasted all across the continent everyone from rich young masters, bounty ,hunters and assassins were after his head. Why because she was on the beauty list and her image has been tarnished

8. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I second this. The novel could have a really interesting premise, story-line & characters but the syntax and wording of the translation is so damn appalling and brain-muddling that it makes you feel like you’re losing your sanity and IQ the further you read (which is probably true because I’ve come away from a badly mtl’ed novel and not been able to structure simple sentences properly!!)

For this reason, I really cherish high quality works from certain groups/individuals so much so that even if the genre of the novel they’ve translated is not something I’d normally be into, I’d still pick it up as the other options on offer are not even worth thinking about.

Geor likes this.
  9. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad ending? How can you even drop a novel when you already reached the end? XD

Anyway, my bottom line is pretty low after years of reading some crappy novels. However, bad translation and slow translation speed is something I could never endure.

10. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Cn novels, there some good romance and ancient china drama ones but there so many wuxia, villainess assassination reincarnation, and xianxias it's hard to find the good ones. Then they last like 1000+ chapters cause 900 of those chapters are filler n go nowhere.

the good ones hardly ever get completed.

11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything involving time travel is the closest for me, especially all these second chance stories, I can enjoy some once in a while but that is nearly always in despite of the trope rather than because of it.

I can't really think of anything that would single handedly make me drop/avoid something though, it always depends on the context how something is done.

12. Marseline

Marseline Member

Reading List:
    Link
    السبب الأكبر هو ببساطة السرد الطويل الذي تفقد فيه الحبكة مذاقها تدريجياً وتصبح مملة ومبتذلة

There is also a question I have always wanted to ask about why a novel should be prepared for so long if the idea is simple about why duplicate and useless stupid events should be added if they can simply start a new novel

13. Marseline

Marseline Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is also a question I have always wanted to ask about why a novel should be prepared for so long if the idea is simple about why duplicate and useless stupid events should be added if they can simply start a new novel

14. HowlingWolf

HowlingWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Repetitive Events? Its easier to copy paste the same events than too think of new ideas. Also happens when author runs out of ideas
    Plus. if the author starts a new novel, the fanbase from their current one is gonna be reduced. It takes some time for a new novel to gain readers so rather than starting all over again might as well just continue.

15. Frizurmind

Frizurmind Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL!!
    I prefer slow chapter release with good translations

16. mistvenom

mistvenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1.Skill/status Inconsistency.
    Example: previous chapter, our mc has 200 def, and next chapter it suddenly turned into 20. Skill description changed because of bullshit plot, like 'Enchant Fire Sword', enchant sword with fire magic, effect can only be used up to 3 attacks or will disappear after 30 seconds if not using it, next chapter it chanes into enchant fire magic to your attack for 30 seconds. I hate this kind of thing.

2. Asshole/greedy translator.
    Basically, they prioritize patreon member too much, there's a novel that already completed and if you mtl it, the translation is not that bad and can be read well, only some mistranslation per chapter and still can be tolerated. This translator decide to hold back the chapter for free reader i think it can be about 50-100 chapter, basically free reader are 50-100 chapters late. What's worse is their translation is not that good(average), they promised to edit it, but still nothing happened even until now.

3. Stupid MC that never learn from mistakes, and still did the same mistakes.

4. MC with bad decision making. I study business (there's decision making in the curriculum) so this kind of thing is a big no no for me and can make me stressed out.

5. A novel that lacks detail/description on the story.

6. A novel with a short chapters. What i hate is not the short chapters, but the content of the chapter, if you have short chapters, the content that move the plot should be about 70-80%, at least 50%, not 10% of the chapter, it's a dick move.

7. Shitty upload schedule, like 1 chapter/2 months

Edit:
    8. Qidian/Webnovel. I hate the way they monetize their novel's chapters

9. Shitty website's interface. Static ads that block the screen. No 'next chapter' link and have to go to ToC first to access the chapters. Basically a not ergonomic website.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Lovina and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  17. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So he bought / saved the girl for his friend and when he knew what the random girl made to his friend he still help her give her expansive cultivation tool and the friend is left alone while the ungrateful bitch have a happy ending with the fake/shitty friend mc ? This remind me of a balzac's novel

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  18. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Money

mistvenom likes this.
  19. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope he granted her freedom he only bought her because his friend asked him to .

20. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If make this for his friend what does he give expensive stuff to a woman who hurt him ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.