Supernatural + History + Fantasy = Difficult [Answer = Remove Fantasy]

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Zone Q11, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry. I think I derailed from what I plan to say.
    Basically: If left alone, the states from later period (1950+) would be able to "conquer" the other states from 1900. So the politics will already be unstable within a few years anyways. I might as well accelerate it.

2. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    I again forgot about the artillery. ...well, I got no excuses here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century_in_science
    ...this will help me a lot.

3. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo...there is an ecchi manga that has a world war kinda vibe to it using magic and fantasy races.

Something Nectar I forget.

But for real, are we wanting Dryads, or some sort of Elf? Dryads are technically plant people. Elves are nature lovers. One might kill you for sustenance while the other commits ecoterrorism.

Beastkin will probably end up as some sort of forced labor or slaves, and dwarves might end up being like those scientists during the Wars, highly sought-after artisans capable of making more effective weaponry during these trying times.

Bands of beastkin bandits/tribes/caravans evading the humans that are racist and the vampires that have a superiority complex, maybe some work with the last race.

Is it the winnie-the-pooh nation, perhaps?

Zone Q11 likes this.
  4. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    First, what kind of terrains that the states would have? how big the new nation would approximately be?

and, how dark and politicaly complex would you want the world to be?

ooh, and about the unification war,, have you considered that the 4 leaders might not have to go to war (perhaps just immensely pressured ) and the unification was reached through a more "diplomatic veneer"? Since coup would, after all, make a negative impact on the citizens' perception, and 15 years wouldn't be enough to completely stabilize the country (and, according to the setting terrains, might have some resistances).
    or perhaps, there's still some area that resist/have a strong prejudice towards the new ruler (maybe in the homebases of the said 4 rulers)?

Zone Q11 likes this.
  5. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    [Nectar of Dharani], I assume. I don't really know how to feel about using that manga as an example though, since it is a story revolving around one protagonist.

Dryads; I am sick of elves. The dryads I have in mind doesn't have to be hostile, but can be. Just like anything, it can be good or bad depending on the individuals.
    Human supremacy... is indeed something I am going for. Just remember that it isn't always the case.

The beastkin, whose population is destined to be lower than the humankin because of [me], do not necessarily have to undergo slavery since those got abolished from Country X in the 19th century.

I see why dwarves are generally seen as blacksmiths due to DnD influence, but I plan to make this "as realistic as possible", so at the 20th century, when DnD wasn't popular yet, dwarves would be seen as "dwarves" (i.e. short people).
    I know I said to make this world as realistic as possible, but having said that I indeed plan to have the vampires have superiority complex.

I do not wish for the humans to be racist, but let's be honest here: they most certainly will be. I can totally see the bandit beastmen fighting with guns... it's like RWBY at this point, but then more primitive.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  6. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    So nothing special about dwarves, they just seem like regular short people? No racial characteristics that set them apart from humans?

As for the Dryads, are there going to be colonies of them or just like one territorial dryad per forest or section? Are they connected like through some global network, will they harbor runaway beastkin, using them as some sort of defensive task force to protect their territory?

Zone Q11 likes this.
  7. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    No. It's the nation that used a whole "race (species)" as their scapegoat. The one who had a two front war. Basically: Tanya's country. (You do know which Tanya I am talking about, right?)
    Terrains: the southern area has mainly high ground (around 250m, and some 500m) while the northern area are low grounds. In addition, the northern area has contact with the sea. The other areas bordering New Country X is surrounded by fog that either sends you back where you came from, or to the void. (Actually, I should probably let monsters be spawned there.)

How big: as big as the original Country X.
    How dark: as dark as WWII and Marvel Fictions can go.
    How politically complex: as good as possible. (If that is even possible when 4 superhumans with 100 super soldiers each are able to literally destroy small towns.)

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  8. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    It appears that I am taking light of the words "coup d'etat", but the plan is to have the 4 Super NPCs divide the country into 4 "Sub-Countries" or simply smaller countries. There do not need to be a war between the Super NPCs. (Actually, I might even forbid that.)

I am not an expert on politics and war, but I am forcing the players to be spawned 15 years after the Super NPCs have spawned.
    Looking it from another perspective, you could say that the Super NPCs have a story of their own that none of you will know about.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this were to happen. Our current U.S. has that problem already with its presidents, but it is still not collapsing, so I won't be bothered about that. Especially when New Country X is the only country that its citizens will know of.

Fulminata and Evil_Ginger like this.
  9. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...so it is actually a relatively small place to work with. I mean, if you try hard enough, you can definitely go from one side to the other in one day.

But...this is probably an easier place to manage. Also, I better see some culture. This is Beethoven's birthplace, after all.

I am right, right?

10. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    After all, Texas is bigger than that place.

11. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    That is correct. I can make it so that they can inherit smithing techniques but... those will have no use in the 20th century.

Whether the dwarves are driven enough to learn about science to improve their social image among the humankin is totally up to them.
    Good questions! :)
    There will be significantly less dryads in New Country X. I plan to make them as rare as dragons, so while there might be a small group of no more than 5 dryads together, dryads will usually be territorial.

They are indeed connected through some network, but those will be less reliable than the brick phones from the '80s unless they are more or less <20kms from each other apart. (This is for actual communication. Sixth senses' range won't go further than approximately 100km.)

Harbor beastkin... I don't think they will do that. The humanoids didn't come from the same universe, so the dryads do not even know the existence of the beastkin. And even if the dryads were to accept the beastkin, the humans of Country X's 20th century are far superior in technology than the beastkin (at first). The beastmen do not stand a chance without stealing technology from the humans.

In addition, the humans might even threaten to burn the forest or perhaps even kill the dryad thinking it is some form of monster. Remember: there is a thing called "flamethrowers".

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  12. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm seeing alchemy in the future and explosions. I love it. Especially since...we had several people from there that worked on an especially big explosion :whistle:

13. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    The fact that this country is around half the size of Texas doesn't mean that it is a small country. I just used Google Maps, and even the shortest route from west to east would take 3 days by foot. By cars though? Around 5 hours if all roads are from the same time period.
    You are right about the place, but... it isn't as if recreating a whole culture is easy, you know? I will be trying my best, but while this country is "easy" to manage, it is still too big for one man to control. (Hence why I made four Super NPCs.)

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  14. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than beastkin why not keep the supernatural element and just make them were-beasts? Lycanthropes and the like that change into a beast form but hide among humans otherwise?

Zone Q11 likes this.
  15. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I meant by horse. But I get what you mean.

And I meant more along the likes of music, which might be a hobby of the vampires or something. Something to entertain their dreary immoral immortality.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  16. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    As @TiggerBane said in the first page: alchemy died already. It got officially disproved in the 19th century (not the 18th). As for explosions... I mean, there is jet fuel? Not that Country X participated in the Space Race though.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  17. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    A mix between science/magic(or supernatural) you have vampire blood and monster parts. I dont mean the turning things to gold, I meant the more Potionmaker style of alchemy. Snake oil sellers and the like are definitely going town to town to sell their wares.

"Grind this rabbit horn into powder and mix it with this vial of crystal shell turtle blood. It will be sure to give that little bit of umph with the missus, if yaknowhatimean, yeah!"

And my man the crazy dude that made the theory of relativity.

18. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I want discrimination.
    2. Weren't you the one who wanted cat girls to be a thing?

Though... I suppose managing one species of a beastman is easier than the whole "beast-men (multiple species)" ...eh, why not.
    Apparently travelling is more of a luxury in specifically 1900, which is understandable since Model T automobiles was officially sold in 1908 and trains were popular around the '20s.
    So I don't know about horses, but... yeah I get what you mean about "relatively small country".
    Oh. Yeah, of course.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  19. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I meant multiple races as well. Werecats, werewolves, werebears, that kind of thing. Harpies count as a monster to me so unless you also want to add monster girls as a race, I would think for the beastkin, it would be much more dramatic to have the beastkin hiding among the humans being persecuted for being similar to monsters.

Hiding as people or even being mutated people from before the "rip", this means the people at the top will use this persecution to keep the populace under control and keep themselves in power.

This would mean that the nation of beastkin would be a nation where this persecution either doesn't exist or it is rare to see

20. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Similar to U.S.'s Red Menace scare.