help! 300$ PC setup need checks

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by girisuherman, Oct 23, 2019.

1. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you see I have 6 year old PC (Intel dual core with 8 GB ram) that need badly updated so I can play newest game without lag or error and because the budget I can't get high end series. After few day of browsing I got a dozen choice and pick AMD ryzen 3 2200g with Gigabyte B450M-DS3H. But I still thinking about using DDR3 or DDR4 ram and HDD or SSD.... So please help

2. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    if you went for 2200g, it will be DDR4 no matter

ssd is good, its fast, if you can afford it, go for it,it is highly recommended
    but i should say its not that bad to have hdd, you can get a larger storage capacity for whatever amount you bought with ssd.

as for your 300 usd pc with no gpu, you can play most game, but dont expect lagfree on highest settings.

girisuherman likes this.
  3. azndude550

azndude550 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only know a little bit, but got ddr4 since ddr3 is obsolete about now. For the harddrive, you can have a small main SSD so that it loads fast, and a 2nd HDD to store your games.

Sabruness and girisuherman like this.
  4. Zorgh12

Zorgh12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ssd is definitely better if you prioritize performance more than storage

5. girisuherman

Reading List:
    Link
    Thx for tips... Actually I like playing on medium or high even sometime lowest for stable fps, also I like rts game like sins of solar empire and Stellaris but my PC don't like large fleet battle

wtfkjp likes this.
  6. chloroform

chloroform Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently replaced my gpu and was shocked that my 6 years old PSU can not support any latest gpu. So need to make sure of imo.

girisuherman likes this.
  7. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ssd unless you want to grow old watching loading screens

8. girisuherman

Reading List:
    Link
    This what I feared, that's why I decided to make a new one

9. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i support this. SSDs are good for the OS so that it runs well but they arent that good for games IMO. you're better off having a separate HDD for games and all the other general stuff you use. My gaming laptop is setup that way.

I think that's what happened to the old PSU in my PC. I took it in to get it checked out and get the GPU replaced because it died. The staff replaced the GPU then turned it on. It worked once, turned it off then it wouldnt turn on again. the guy cracked the case again and found the PSU had died so had to replace that as well.

10. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    if you play RTS you might want ryzen 5 / i5 instead
    RTS have a lot unit to process afterall

runsing likes this.
  11. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Large fleet battles require a good video card. It's not the AI that's the bottleneck but the scene rendering. To use a good video card,, you might need a larger power supply to handle that video card. Unfortunately, both of those together may exceed your budget range.

Thankfully, you picked games that aren't the latest and greatest so you can get away with an older generation of video cards that don't require as much power. I use a 1660Ti now, but you can probably get away with my previous card, the 1050Ti. That one handled Sins of the Solar Empire rather well and it only needed a 450W power supply.

girisuherman likes this.
  12. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you plan to build a new computer for 300 dollars, well, you are not going to get anything great, especially if you want to play the latest games. Your best bet would be to hunt used parts and sales... I would just go on youtube and type "cheap gaming pc" in the search and look through the guides that people have posted. There is a ton of guides there with people who already done research and you can just go check out the parts.
    and well... lag free.. probably also won't happen. My opinion: save up more and get a better computer later, so it can last longer and work better overall.
    as for your components... DDR4 is probably your only choice at this point, but if you want to save money, go with hdd. SSD is great, but they are still expensive, and with the games sizes nowadays, if you get something like 128 or even 256 gigs, it will be filled up super quick. Yes, you can store them on a different drive, but all of the temp data and such will still go to your system drive

girisuherman likes this.
  13. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    while 2200g is by no means a slow cpu (i've personally used it last year), i would've gone with the first gen ryzen, the 1600 (6-core/12-thread). preferably used/2nd hand. i saw it is 90-100 on amazon recently. i'm sure with enough patience, you could find it at even lower price on other places. if not available, then ryzen 1400 (4-core/8-thread) would be my next choice.

then i'd pair those cpu with an older RX 470, or at least RX 560. of course again, i would go with used/2nd for constrained budget.

i realised the price might shoot up to almost 350 usd in total, but the difference in gaming experience between using an onboard gpu VS dedicated gpu is vast. an RX 470 could handle any game you throw at it with relatively decent fps at 1080p. even a 7-year old i5 3330 when paired with it can handle Metro Exodus at more than 60fps average.

depending on your old casing condition, you might even be able to skim out on new casing for now.

girisuherman likes this.
  14. jkim0940

jkim0940 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know where you're from but I'm going to assume you are in the US. Nowadays, you can pick up a 250gb M.2 ssd off Amazon around 30 dollars so I think its definitely worth picking one up. For DDR4 I would suggest getting 16gb of 3200 or 3600 mhz ddr4 ram stick. On Newegg, you can find them as cheap as $75. If you live around a Microcenter, I would suggest buying the Cpu from there rather than from Amazon because its 20 bucks cheaper. Also, does it have to be a ryzen 2200g? You could pick up a ryzen 2600 with b450 combo for $160 at Microcenter. If you don't live around a Microcenter, that kinda sucks but what I'm trying to say is that the internet isn't always cheaper; Computer part Retailers are trying to compete and stay relevant so go to local stores too to see what they have. As for the gpu, I would wait until black friday honestly and pick up a good deal on an older card. Honestly I would just wait until black friday for the entire build. Deals should start on Nov 15 so that would be the best time for you to get the parts for cheap.

girisuherman and Lolistalker like this.
  15. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think you can play modern 3d game without a GPU, even if you set it to low

It really depends on what type of games do you play. after all there are a lot of "newest" games that is not that demanding, you might be able to play eroge, 2d scroller, indie games etc at 30fps but even something simpler like Code Vein would need good amount of GPU and CPU power

SSD is really good, at least get the 128gb for windows and you might be able to fit in one or two games and change them when needed, the rest is on HDD unless you are not planning on having more than one game at a time, and storage alone would cost you at least $100 if you buy secondhand/having good deal, 8gb of ram, cpu and mother board for $200? even second hand one won't get you much, maybe good enough for daily browsing/microsoft words etc, playing games? you need another $100 for gpu to get at least 1050, yes you can get older 950 or radeon stuff which is a bit cheaper but they probably will die in a year, electronic just don't last that long

so, id recommend spending 300$ just on HDD, CPU and Mother board, find the one that is compatible with gtx 1050 or something equivalent, save some money before buying SSD and GPU later, anything below $500 you need a lot of luck and research to get 2nd hard part to play modern titles

if you don't know much about computer basically, HDD = cheap but slow, SSD fast but only affect loading time, Ram only need above 8gb if you play game and browsing, daily task or basic game dont need more than 8, as for DDR3-4 it wont affect performance much, just get the one that is compatible with your mother board, CPU there are lot of good second hand option, you dont need expensive one for games but really bad one might affect FPS, GPU the most important part that affect performance, mother board get the one that is compatible with all the part is all that matter

Also make sur you got good fan and case with cooling, just air cooling is good enough if the fan is working and the paste is renewed

girisuherman likes this.
  16. girisuherman

Reading List:
    Link
    Got it, set more budget for my pc so it can last for another six year... If I cut my spending in half probably I got 321bucks a month.... Also I don't use half ass DC fan I use AC 17 inch 60watt tornado fan, set on Max and as side effects it's loud like hair dryers

Edit: last time I change thermal paste is 2 year ago probably I need renew it

17. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will you reuse your old case? Can you reuse your old power supply? If you need to build a capable gaming PC for $300 to use at even the lowest graphical settings, you might need to reuse as much as you can of your old PC. If you decide to do integrated graphics with one of AMD's APUs, you'll need to get fast RAM, at least DDR4-3200.

Here's something I threw together in a few minutes on PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NLybjp

It comes out to about $360. It assumes you'll reuse your case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It also assumes you're ok using an unlicensed copy of Windows, which saves you $100. I chose the AMD R5 2400G, as it has more graphical horsepower and a better clock speed compared to the 2200G for only $20 more. I paired it with a decent set of 16 GB (2X8 GB) DDR4-3200 memory. I assumed you'd want WiFi, so I picked a motherboard that has WiFi included. The power supply I chose for you is a bit overkill, but it will allow you to add a discrete GPU in the future. You won't need to buy a CPU cooler since AMD APUs come with a cooler that's good enough. I also added a 1 TB HDD and a 120 GB SSD. If you need to, you can cut out the HDD, but you'll have precious little storage space for games and other media if you do that.

Over time, I recommend you prioritize buying a mid-range GPU and then upgrading your CPU to something better when you can afford it. The AM4 CPU socket will support every Ryzen processor, so you'll be spoiled for choice when it comes to CPU selection, as long as your ultimate goal isn't to use an Intel processor.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    girisuherman likes this.
  18. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why do no one pinged me for a build this time. I usually get awful amount of DM/Pings on other Platforms.

Rule no.1 Don't get a b450 for 2200g.
    And 2200g is a horrible choice even for a second hand cpu. 2200g is almost non-existent in first hand markets.
    2200g have 8 vega cores. It would be difficult to game. Amd apu needs dual channel memory and high memory clocks. If not, it almost same as intel iris graphic. You need to allocate 2GB ram to vega cores and 6gb left for a 4 x 2 configuration? That's horrible.

Never heard of those game before. But what is you 6years old pc specs. Is it lga 1155 or lga 1150.
    I might get you a cheap pubg build.

It would be good if you have a lga1366 board. Those cpu can be get with 10usd or lower.

19. girisuherman

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I already decide the parts
    • Amd ryzen 3 2200g
    • Gigabyte GA-A320-S2H-V2
    • Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3200mhz 2x4gb
    • Sandisk ssd plus 120gb
    • Seagate barracuda 1TB
    • Armageddon PSU Voltron pro 555X 550w

20. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    i know you're on tight budget, and you also doesn't seem interested in used/2nd hand stuff. and that's fine.
    but please at least choose better PSU. avoid those voltron series.or Armageddon brand in general (for psu)

if the psu models confuse you, this chart/listing should help a bit. consider a tier-6 or 5 the extreme last choice. go for tier-4 if possible even for tight budget builds.
    https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

if you're familiar with Linus Tech Tips, they have one too, but their list is even steeper. (and for good reasons)
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    xiazixin likes this.